Photo

DC Girls need some help?!?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Birdie07

Birdie07
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

I want to take a trip with my 16 year old niece to DC. She lives in Dallas and I live in Colorado. We both have wanted to go and I thought why not now? She would fly from Dallas and me from Albq. and meet in DC. I've heard you don't need a car that the public transit is great. However I don't think we want to stay downtown cause the price for hotels is outrageous. I want to know where we can stay that is close to the metro but not maybe in DC. We don't mind taking the metro or anything to where we want to go. I'm just trying to make this not so expensive. I've heard staying closer to Virginia or Maryland would be better. Any help would be appreciated!!

#2 katrina

katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 4,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

i don't know about specific hotel options, but my bff lives outside dc. she lives in silver spring md and it's a 20 minute metro ride, if that. another option would be bethesda, md. have fun- i love dc!

#3 Christine

Christine
      • VIP Member
      • 21,514 posts
      • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
      • Wedding Location:Napa, California
      • LocationReno, NV

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Stay in Alexandria (Old Town) PM me the hotels you narrow it down to so I can double check to make sure they are actually near the metro (A lot of hotels claim they are in old town but they really aren't).

We are very very close to the city and its a super quick metro ride. You do not need to rent a car, metro is just fine. Also most museums are free, so you will mainly need to spend money on food and metro fair, otherwise there are plenty of free activities.
      Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#4 Birdie07

Birdie07
      • 1,218 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Yay thanks. I haven't looked really hard for hotels. I do want to make sure it's not too far to the metro. I also want to make sure theres restaurants within walking distance. I will start looking and PM you Christine!

#5 Christine

Christine
        • VIP Member
        • 21,514 posts
        • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
        • Wedding Location:Napa, California
        • LocationReno, NV

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Old town has tons of places to eat, its a super cute little area. I love it, great walking and fantastic people watching.
        Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#6 Janet

Janet
        • VIP Member
        • 7,459 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Old Town is a great idea, like Christine said. If you do end up wanting to be in the city, I recommend the Kimpton Hotels.

Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels and Luxury Travel - Alexandria Hotels

Let me know how else I can help...I live in DC

#7 Jessica

Jessica
          • VIP Member
          • 11,939 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:54 AM

You guys will have so much fun in DC. I love all the museums there! A few of my in-laws also live in Silver Springs, MD and it is super close, but I agree with the Old Town suggestion. It's a very cute area. And I hate driving in DC so good call on using the Metro.

#8 Ginalyn

Ginalyn
            • 2,754 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Agreed, def go for Old Town Alexandria. I would recommend staying in Arlington, VA as a backup (5-15 minute metro ride into DC depending on where you stay). It's not as cute as Old Town, but still lots of good shops and restaurants around. I live in Arlington feel free to PM me if Alexandria doesn't work out.

#9 ACH2009

ACH2009
              • 330 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

I would suggest Arlington too. It is a little farther than Old town but it has excellent metro access and there's always a lot to do out there.
                Our Pro Pic slideshow by Tammy B Photography
                http://www.tammybpho...index2.php?v=v1

Our Pro Pic slideshow by Melissa Green Photographyhttp://www.melissagr....php#/featured/

#10 Royal_lady10

Royal_lady10
                • 247 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

I work and live in alexandria. I know there are some really nice hotels close to the King Street Metro and Eisenhower metro (within walking distance). Also, some hotels have a shuttel service to the pentagon city metro, or others. When I first moved here, I stayed in arlington, and the hotel had a shuttle to the closest metro.

I would suggest alexandria (old town or near kingstreet) due to the metro and the free trolley that runs to and from the waterfront. But I am sure, you may be able to find other hotels that may offer a shuttle service.

Close to King street metro: Embassy Suites, Residence Inn (alexandria), Hilton Alexandria, Hampton Inn (old towne alexandria),Wydham oldtown alexandria, Westin Alexandria. These are all within walking distance to the King street metro and/or offer shuttel service I believe.

Close to Eisenhower metro:Holiday Inn Alexandria; Residence Inn at Caryle, Courtyard Alexandria

HTH
                  BTW: King street and Eisenhower are 1 stop away, literally 2 min. train ride.. I ride it everyday on my way to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users