Jump to content

The site will be offline Saturday evening (4/28/18) for a software update. Thank you in advance for your patience while upgrade to a new-improved version of BDW.

Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

  • Please log in to reply
1047 replies to this topic

#201 Bianca

  • Sr. Member
  • 1,057 posts

    Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

    I think I am pretty a lone on this... but here I go. We have about 3 weeks til we leave for Mexico, so I feel that I have time before I need to worry. I am not stressing about this (maybe I should be). I think its too soon to worry about what could happen in the next 3 weeks. I really do feel like things will be better by then. But I guess thats it... I am just going to wait it out and see what happens.
    19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!


    #202 HotTamale

    • Jr. Member
    • 304 posts

      Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

      OK girls. I just read through all 20 pages of posts, and have a few things to add.

      First, Blkatz, I am so terribly sorry, my heart goes out to you both. If you are capable of still marrying while there, I would continue with the ceremony. Please let us know what we can do for you. I know we are all miles a part, but know that you have positive vibes and thoughts coming to you.

      We are scheduled to fly out on June 10th, and I have received a call from one guest, and the other person a little on edge is my FMIL. I'm going to send an email out to all guests tonight to try and ease any potential stress from the media.

      I believe that everything is going to work it's way out. The drug issue was first, and now since this flu thing happened I haven't heard a word of the drug violence. Yes, the flu situation is reality, and yes it is bad in the way that the media is portraying it. And yes, WHO has issued a level 4 due to the reality of certain areas the flu has surfaced.

      I've decided to stay positive, and think positive. After all what else am I going to do but make myself sick...again.

      Let's all be in this positive thought process together. Much love to all the Mexico girls on here - Man, we have been through a lot!

      #203 TammyWright


        Admin & Owner

      • Administrators
      • 11,682 posts
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

      Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

      thread closed.

      Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

      Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
      Awards and recognition: 
      Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
      sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
      Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

      #204 Jacilynda

      • Sr. Member
      • 2,777 posts

        Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

        ah Des no freakin way!!! We still have 3 months!!! I think at this point alot of the girls may not be sooo concerned w/ catching the flu, but travel being restricted. I'm really hoping this doesn't get categorized as pandemic. If it does I'm sure they'll restrict travel to Mexico and my concern is if that does happen it probably will take a while before everything comes back to. Joe and I have decided since everything is going crazy in MX that we are coming up w/ a Plan B. So if this issue continues to the beginning of July, or if there is something else we will move to plan B 3 weeks before our wedding. I hope everything clears up, only time will tell at this point.

        I personally am not concerned about the swine flu I would go. Although if all of my guests were going to cancel, I would change locations. My only concern is travel restrictions

        #205 YaelM


          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 5,369 posts

          Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

          Im petrified they are going to ban traveling to Mexico...we are suppose to leave on Monday...I REALLY hope we still can. WTF we should be stressing about having time to get mani/pedis NOT a freakn flu pandemic

          #206 sgbrown

          • Newbie
          • 130 posts

            Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

            Originally Posted by Blkatz
            we are down here now, and we are thinking about bagging it. All of our guests have canceled
            Oh my goodness Beth... I can't believe all of your guests have cancelled. SHOOT. That is so sad. I'm in a state of disbelief, but still determined to go on May 2nd. We've been receiving some 'doom and gloom' phone calls and emails today from some of our friends and I'm just waiting to hear from our guests that they would like to cancel. No one has yet... I think they're waiting to see if there are any new developments. Mike and I are committed to go no matter what! So far, Canada has NOT issued a travel advisory against travel to Mexico, unlike the US. As it stands, all 55 of my guests are still going.

            I've been thinking about you a lot. I hope you're OK.

            #207 bumbles

            • Member
            • 574 posts

              Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

              jls62081 -- we are date twins!

              Right now, we are just playing the waiting game to see what happens. If we do have to postpone/cancel, I think we'll just move it to this winter. To be honest, I don't really want to put together another trip quickly -- I'm tired. FI and I will probably just check into a resort in the US, take it easy and go from there.

              Here is my letter. Thanks to everyone who shared!

              Dear Friends and Family,

              The countdown has begun and we are excited! But we are also now anxious. As we monitor developments in this swine flu issue, we are keenly aware that it could have an impact on our plans. Currently, the wedding festivities are still on!

              We understand the concern you may be feeling. The intent of our wedding is for people to be able to relax and have fun. We would like to do everything that we can to help you gather information about the situation. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do and do not hesitate to call or email us with any question. Meanwhile, we will continue to check for updates from the following sources and follow the recommended safety precautions:

              CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
              Swine Flu Outbreak Information
              WHO | World Health Organization

              If you are reconsidering traveling, our travel agent, ___, will be able to provide information regarding the options available.

              It is most important to us that you feel safe and comfortable when you travel, and we will, of course, support any decision you make.

              We are channeling all the most positive energy and love in the world to our destination and the people affected, and we ask that you do the same!

              Bumbles and Mr. Bumbles to Be

              PS Don't forget to send your "meet the guests" picture and blurb! :)

              #208 droland03

              • Newbie
              • 21 posts

                Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

                My wedding is on June 1, 2009 at Las Caletas and all of my guests are freaking out. I am trying really hard to stay positive, but I honestly cannot believe that this is happening 5 weeks before my wedding. After reading through these posts, I am so glad that others are feeling the same way. Lets all try to stay positive and hope that things don't get any worse or spread to the resort areas.

                #209 droland03

                • Newbie
                • 21 posts

                  Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

                  My wedding is on June 1, 2009 at Las Caletas and all of my guests are freaking out. I am trying really hard to stay positive, but I honestly cannot believe that this is happening 5 weeks before my wedding. After reading through these posts, I am so glad that others are feeling the same way. Lets all try to stay positive and hope that things don't get any worse or spread to the resort areas.

                  #210 pvbeachbride10

                  • Jr. Member
                  • 202 posts

                    Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

                    Hi ladies - my thoughts go out to all of you. This is so hard for all us Mexico brides. I'll be down there in 2 days and will report back as soon as I can. I think at this point, coming up with a plan B might not be a bad idea, but I am glad to see so many of us are wait and see brides! :)

                    Blkatz- I am so sorry. Please let us know if there's anything we can do and let us know what you decide. I really am sorry, that's horrible!

                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users