Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

I have been in DC on business and was freaking out today. We were thinking we would spend the weekend finding a new location, but after reading this thread and educating myself a little more, we are sticking to our guns and having our Dream Wedding In Mexico......

Thanks for all the information and support. Mexico brides rock....

I wish you all the healthiest and safest weddings ever.

JUne brides you have nothing to worry about....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Our wedding is June 26th,2009 and we have 47 people booked. We were so excited until last week... this whole swine flu thing is just horrible. I have gotten a million phone calls and texts saying what are we gonna do and cant cant go there and blah blah blah....I just don't understand how calling me and complaining is supposed to fix anything.. all it does is upset me. My fiance' thinks its media hype and its all gonna be over soon and whoever wants to back out let them. The only thing he doesnt get is that NO ONE wants to go anymore not even our parents. I really do believe that the media is making it a lot worse then it is (not that its not serious). I mean 36,000 people died in the US last year from the FLU. Anyways i am so over everyone calling me over the swine flu that i could just scream!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeLynne View Post
Haha! There you are!! Sorry, couldn't remember your name! But wanted to give you some sorta credit!! wink.gif THANKS for that btw!!!!!!!!!!!
smile03.gif

We basically share the same stance! GOOD LUCK chica! So sorry to hear about your MOH having to cancel but it sounds like it may be because she has a child, which I understand... still sorry though sad.gif

Oh and I think our t-shirts will read
"Pigs Flu (flew), and Jaime & Martin got married.
May 24th, 2009 at Las Caletas
And YOU were there!"

... or something like that... doesn't quite make sense yet... cheesy.gif
I love your t-shirt! It made me lol! I think it is great!!!You should find a little pig with wings...ok, maybe that is too much...I just have this visual and it is cracking me up!

Hi Everyone-

Been reading this thread all week for support and finally registered. My FI and I are supposed to get married May 9 in Cabo and are so torn about what to do. We have 55 people confirmed - 6 have canceled, and most have said that they still want to go - although some I know are hesitant but trying their best to support us. This thread has been a lot of help all week, but I still just don't know what to do. My gut says go, everything will be fine, but i am worried that if we do we are making an irresponsible decision. If everyone wants to go, should we still go?

Anyways, good luck to you all, and I hope everything works out for us (I'm a groom BTW!)

Hi rainorswine Groom!! (Love the name) Welcome to the forum!

You are not being irresponsible. It's not like you are forcing people to go against their will. They are going because they want to! Besides, I don't believe there are any cases even close to Cabo so I'm sure you will be fine and you will have an AMAZING wedding! I bet you get down there and forget all about the stupid swine flu : ) Go for it!

I like the 'rainorswine' sign in name. I too am getting married in Cabo - albeit in June. Even though we have time, my FI and I have been struggling with the same question. We know we CAN go based on continued flight service…but are we being naive or irresponsible in going? Given all that I have read this past week – a lot of it here (THANK GOODNESS for this forum!), I truly believe that (based on what we know as of today) the risk is no greater now than a month ago or six months ago.

- There are currently more cases here in Los Angeles / SoCal than there are in Cabo (based on what I heard from my WC this morning).

- The LA Times article today highlights that this flu strain seems to be milder than the seasonal flu (again, based on what we know about it thus far).

- CNN highlights that the danger from seasonal flu is much greater than that of SW

Therefore the risk *seems* to be the normal risk one would take when one travels anywhere. That said, things could change for the worse (gulp) or get better (please).

My FI and I have decided that WE are comfortable "taking the risk". Our family feels the same. We plan to survey our guests this weekend. And although we recognize we may lose some guests, if our "core" group of guests feels the same, then we will continue forward. Our belief is that our guests can make their own risk assessment – which is a personal decision. If they decide to come, it will be based on that personal decision.

I hope this helps – if you DO go – please come back to this forum and post about your experience. It’s really helped me to hear from brides/grooms who are in Mexico now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kole&ryan View Post
Hey, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Our wedding is June 26th,2009 and we have 47 people booked. We were so excited until last week... this whole swine flu thing is just horrible. I have gotten a million phone calls and texts saying what are we gonna do and cant cant go there and blah blah blah....I just don't understand how calling me and complaining is supposed to fix anything.. all it does is upset me. My fiance' thinks its media hype and its all gonna be over soon and whoever wants to back out let them. The only thing he doesnt get is that NO ONE wants to go anymore not even our parents. I really do believe that the media is making it a lot worse then it is (not that its not serious). I mean 36,000 people died in the US last year from the FLU. Anyways i am so over everyone calling me over the swine flu that i could just scream!!
I'm so sorry to hear that. And I totally hear you on not understanding why people keep calling. What, do they think you don't already know about the swine flu so they better call and tell you? It is so upsetting.

I think you should just wait it out. I'm sure once the media starts covering something else the whole thing will blow over and your family will come around. Hang in there!

If it helps anyone with decision making ~ FI and I are going, we leave on Monday. We've only had one guest cancel and that was just today b/c his doctor told him that he is too sick to travel anyway (he has a respitory infection, not flu related). I'm sure I'll try to post an update, as so many girls have done that are down there right now, to let you know how things are looking. I'm feeling pretty optimistic today and am starting to get excited again for my dream wedding in Cancun. Woot!