Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo908 View Post
I just had a guest call and say they are still debating and making their final decision regarding our June 27th wedding.... can someone tell me, are there even swine flu cases in the RM??
Joanna - I strongly believe that there is no reason to worry. We just got back last Wednesday from our beautiful, swine flu free wedding! The article below is from 5/8/09, but it's all I could find. Only indicates 3 confirmed cases in Quintana Roo and I know 1 was in Chetumal, which is 200+ miles south of Cancun. Hope this helps...and best of luck to you!

http://dangers.cancuncasa.com/?p=50

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey girls (and guys, lol)!!!

I just wanted to pop in on this thread real quick and say the inspiration board/photos totally WORKED!!!!! woot2.gif I never got around to cutting and pasting BUT I did do a whole Word Doc and sent it out to all of our guests.... NO ONE FREAKED OUT!

It is amazing here.

FYI When you come in the PVR airport they ARE doing a thermal body scan right as you exit the plane, just before customs. I was really glad I didn't know that cause I probably woulda freaked a little (it was hot enough in the airport, lol!). But I was FINE!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! woot2.gif But just FYI, in case you are feeling a little feverish you may want to take some Tylenol on the plane ride over - better safe than sorry. (course, I hope none of y'all feel feverish of course!)

I personally have seen NO masks, though Martin and his parents went to Walmart the first day we got here (last Tues) and said the cashiers at Walmart were wearing masks but they kept taking them on and off to talk to ppl wtf.gif lol

I must say though it is SAD here... sad.gif There is NO ONE at our hotel!! I mean, out of maybe 450 rooms, probably 25% occupancy from what we can tell. Sunday and Monday (the "big" days for Memorial weekend) it was maybe 50% occupied. My Aunt said when they went to eat breakfast @ the Marina that the lady got down on her knees to thank her for coming to Mexico (my Aunt & Uncle came all the way from Boston!). They are so grateful for our business and honestly I am SO happy to give it to them!! I'm not even haggling with the beach vendors as much as I would normally - I know they need the money and I'm still getting good deals, KWIM?

Anyways, everything is PERFECT! Great airfare deals, uncrowded beaches/pools/hotels/restaurants.... just LOVELY for a wedding party!!! :)

SO, come one come all!!! Help our Mexico's poor economy! It's great here :)

in total agreement with everything jaime said here ... swine flu actually worked in our favor, because our wedding party practically had the resort to ourselves all week (this normally would have been one of their busiest times, especially for weddings, since it's right outside hurricane season). there actually should have been another wedding the same day as mine but it had been canceled. while all this was great for us and our guests, never having to fight for beach chairs, the ease of getting seating for large groups at dinner, i had to feel a little sad for the resort and mexico in general ... tourism provides their livelihoods and the economy was suffering even before the swine flu mess. the mexicans i encountered were lovely, gracious, hard-working people (it was hard to come home to rude americans!). it was hard not to be happy about an uncrowded resort, but i really felt for them and the hardship they are going through.

the ONLY people i saw wearing masks were the few people in the cancun airport collecting your health surveys and taking your temperature scan. no one wore masks on the plane or anything (not even my paranoid niece!). my mom told me that the day of the wedding the paper headline read "it's now safe to travel to mexico!" wink.gif

if you can manage to go ahead with your wedding travel plans (not canceled outside of your control), please please please go to mexico. you will not be disappointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
Girlies have you seen this:

WHO considers move to pandemic phase 6 for H1N1 virus - CNN.com

It ain't stoppin me though!
ugh, frankly I'm so sick of any swine flu talk. in my opinion it's so ridiculous that they're even still making an issue of it. it pisses me off to no end when i think about how many people (especially brides/grooms) were affected by the media hype and then saddens me when i think of all the Mexican locals who have lost jobs and money because of the downtrodden tourism/economy. when someone writes an article about the 15th person in the country to die of the swine flu, i'm like....um seriously? Aren't there usually 36,000+ people who die from the flu nationwide every year?

I know the virus can mutate into something worse come the fall, but until they have definitive proof that it has, i wish the CDC/WHO and the media (myself and my employer included, lol) would STFU already!!!! censored.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacilynda View Post
Girlies have you seen this:

WHO considers move to pandemic phase 6 for H1N1 virus - CNN.com

It ain't stoppin me though!
Good for you!! I just got back from Moon Palace in Cancun on 5/27, everything was great!! They are scanning people in the airports for your body temperature to see if it's elevated past what a normal body temp should be, and they are having people complete forms regarding their health--just an FYI.