Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

We are supposed to be getting married May 18th in Cancun (leaving May 12th). I am sooo upset about all this flu stuff! I want to just continue on and just go but my mother in law's work will not let her go back to work for like 2 weeks if she goes (same with my best friend). My fiance really wants his mother there and so it looks like we are postponing everything. I am soooo upset right now! I have been crying all day! I would think as long as she is going to take some maintenance tamiflu it shouldnt be that big of a deal!!! aaaahhhh! soooo upset! censored.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have Koozies - this was on the Kustom Koozies Facebook page

Subject: Swine Flu and Koozies

Has the Swine Flu caused you to detour your event?

Dear Kustom Koozies Friend:

We are aware that the current threat of Swine Flu has caused many planned destination events to be relocated or rescheduled. We, at Kustom Koozies, donâ€t want you to be without correct Koozies! Therefore, if you ordered Koozie from us, we will reprint a new set, with the new place/date for what it costs us to print, ship, etc. If you have a friend who had them printed at another company (because we know you wouldnâ€t go anywhere else), have them email us a picture of what they have, and weâ€ll print new ones at 20% off our already low prices.

Let us help make a bad situation a little better!

Please email Linda at linda@kustomkoozies.com, with your previous order number or picture, and she will contact you about reprinting.

Your friends at Kustom Koozies

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls62081 View Post
my mother in law's work will not let her go back to work for like 2 weeks if she goes (same with my best friend).
ugh i am so tired of hearing this sort of thing! not only is it just not fair, it has got to be against the law for employers to mandate this! it's more in the US now than mexico, so how does it even make any sense?!?!!

i'm so sorry. grouphug.gif

Hi Girls,

So after much thinking we have decide to postpone our wedding until June 18th. It was a very hard decision to make but we're still going to Mexico and our beautiful resort! I'm not sure at this point who will make the trip but FI and I will be there and at this point I am sooo good with that!

~Mesita

Best news I have heard in a while......

My FI's uncle called today and said that he went in to see his immunization doctor. Prior to retiring he had a high profile job that took him all over the world, so he has been a patient with this doctor for a while. WELL, the doctor told him that he WOULD go to Mexico!!!! He gave him some suggestions for safe travel (which uncle is emailing me and then I will post!). I am so excited! His uncle is a very cautious person and in to me, him being willing to travel means a lot!

Still sending good vibes to all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bePowers View Post

My FI's uncle called today and said that he went in to see his immunization doctor. Prior to retiring he had a high profile job that took him all over the world, so he has been a patient with this doctor for a while. WELL, the doctor told him that he WOULD go to Mexico!!!! He gave him some suggestions for safe travel (which uncle is emailing me and then I will post!). I am so excited! His uncle is a very cautious person and in to me, him being willing to travel means a lot!

I think that is great news. To me that just reassures the fact that the media has blown this out of the water. I can't wait to see what you post so that I can share with my family. Congrats that everything is working out :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensatori Bride View Post
Hi Girls,

So after much thinking we have decide to postpone our wedding until June 18th. It was a very hard decision to make but we're still going to Mexico and our beautiful resort! I'm not sure at this point who will make the trip but FI and I will be there and at this point I am sooo good with that!

~Mesita
Hi sensatori bride that is great news!, wishing you all the very best. Fiance and I have also postponed our wedding till end of July now after much deliberation. I'm hoping everything will be okay by then. We are still going to Mexico also and like you I'll be happy as long as my beloved is with me bunny_4.gif

My heart really goes out to everyone who has had to cancel/postpone their plans. This definitley has been a stressful past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls62081 View Post
We are supposed to be getting married May 18th in Cancun (leaving May 12th). I am sooo upset about all this flu stuff! I want to just continue on and just go but my mother in law's work will not let her go back to work for like 2 weeks if she goes (same with my best friend). My fiance really wants his mother there and so it looks like we are postponing everything. I am soooo upset right now! I have been crying all day! I would think as long as she is going to take some maintenance tamiflu it shouldnt be that big of a deal!!! aaaahhhh! soooo upset! censored.gif
Janet Napolitano has officially reneged the US Government's stance on the swine flu. Hopefully your FMIL's employer will see the light in the next couple of days and change their policy before you come up on your "last chance to cancel" day. We leave on Wednesday and unfortunately some people had to cancel last week due to their cancellation policies. Sucks for me, but hopefully that won't be the same with you...I would suggest waiting just a couple more days if you can. Good luck! :)

Swine flu no worse than regular flu, Napolitano says - CNN.com

When a pandemic isn't a pandemic - CNN.com

Hi everyone -

Ever since the swine flu news outbreak, I've been reading this forum looking to you other brides for guidance. I just wanted to post and say how glad I am to know that I'm not alone here! I have also loved seeing all the support you're giving one another - it's quite a comfort.

Also, thanks to everyone who posted letters they sent to guests about the flu. MarieSam - I definitely used a good portion of it for an email we just sent to guests this weekend - thanks for offering to share it. I didn't even know where to begin when writing it, having yours made a horrible thing easier.

As of right now, we're on, but I'm not sure how many of our 46 guests will be with us. In our letter, I asked our guests a few questions to gauge their current thoughts on the matter (copied below in case any of you want to use it) so that we could make an informed decision as things progress. So far, I've gotten mixed reviews and am quite frustrated with the non-respondents! Sorry, had to vent.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Questions asked of guests:

When we first decided to hold a destination wedding, one of our greatest reservations was that we may not be able to share our wedding with all of our cherished family and friends. We couldn't even begin to describe how happy and excited we have been to hear that each of you were planning to join us; your RSVPs have been one of the greatest sources of excitement for us. Therefore, as we consider our options, we would like to have your input on a few things.

1. Please let us know how you are feeling about this issue and if it will impact your decision to join us should we more forward as scheduled to Tulum. Please keep in mind - while it is important to us that you share in our day - your health and safety are of the absolute, utmost importance to us and we will completely understand and support whatever decision you are planning to make. So, please feel comfortable being truly honest with us (even if you think it is what we do not want to hear).

2. One of the potential options that Dreams is presenting to wedding parties is to move the wedding to one of the Dreams Resorts in the Dominican Republic. We have only begun to consider this option, but are interested in what your thoughts are on this issue should this option become a last resort. Would you be willing to join us in the Dominican Republic? If so, would a change in the date make it impossible for you to go?

3. Please remind us which travel company and airline you booked through. If you booked through our travel agent, ***, we have this list. However, if you booked through Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. please let us know which one it was. We would like to stay apprised of the cancellation/change policies that these companies are offering. We know that most of these companies are offering to waive fees for cancellations and changes for Mexico travel through May. We want to make sure that we know which companies our handling our guests, and what they are offering.

4. If you are contacted by your travel company regarding their policies in the future, please forward this information on to us.

Hi soon2bePowers - That is great to hear! Thanks for sharing!! It is always good to know when someone in the health profession says it's ok : )

I see you are from St. Louis (like me) and your date is 4 days before mine! I hope the rest of your planning is going well smile72.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bePowers View Post