Deadly swine flu virus in Mexico

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi_lk View Post
Too bad the airline people couldn't see things this way!!!! censored.gif
I know - I cant believe they canceled your trips...it seems crazy especially because the WHO has officially said that travel restrictions are pointless and actually cause more harm than good. Im really sorry :-(

I just met a couple that just flew in from the states-they said there was no problems at the Cancun airport and everything was normal. It is a shame because I also heard today that Mexico City thinks that they have leveled out-I wish this came at a better time for everyone. My guests panicked and canceled on Monday-they should of waited until later in the week to hear more

Jillian - At this point we haven't made any changes to our plans. We leave May 6th for a week. Luckily most of our guests are waiting to see how this plays out over the next few days before they make any changes...although we have lost some old and young guests. Best of luck!

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlergray View Post
I think we have decided to go to Tulum unless something drastically changes. We leave may 14. Are we being stupid? are other people going?
we are going unless we CAN'T go due to canceled flights and such. the only option my resort is giving is to possibly switch to punta cana (which i don't want to do) but will look into as a worst-case-scenario kinda thing.

Mummergirl - my wedding is May 30th and I'm with you. We still have almost a month before we leave and unless this flu gets deadly again, we are hoping that in the next week things will calm down, we'll have a lot more info and can make an educated decision. If it's just the flu and not deadly except for those unforunate souls who got caught in the initial wave, you can catch the flu anywhere and it's already no longer contained. I was talking to a BM about a potential back-up to California or Vegas and she told me someone down the hall from her at work (she's in California) - her son got the swine flu somehow at school - there was a boy who recently came back from Cancun, but the Cancun boy did not have the swine flu. So you can get it anywhere. Unless your wedding is in Mexico city, I would hold tight (and would hope your guests don't panic) and see how things shape up by the end of the week. Luckily, my guests have been reassuring me! Good luck everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi_lk View Post
Our travel agent is working on trying to get us something. Its just so sad, every wedding favor, invitations, the sentimental wedding date, all lost. She said its doubtful we will be able to go anywhere in May. Can't believe this happened.
I am SO sorry honey!!! {{HUGS}} Why wouldn't you be able to go somewhere else? That just seems crazy! The Dreams Tulum girls last year had a hard time but were able to move everything in a matter of days I don't see why they couldn't do something for you!

This is so crazy that they are all suspending and cancelling flights til JUNE!!! I could understand a couple weeks but over a month, c'mon!!!! I just read on CNN that Mexico City has closed all venues, they are really trying to nip it in the butt. i really don't think suspending flights will help much! I understand that Mexico is the epicenter, but it spread in Mexico over a week and then has leveled out quite a bit. Its already gone across the US and Canada, i personally don't think suspending flights will do any good. i could see to Mexico city, oh I don't know i'm so frustrated w/ all of this!