Photo

Legal Ceremony in US

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Birdie07

Birdie07
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

I agree with Mo. I got my marriage certificate less than 2 months later. Changed my DL and SS card. Have have no problems at all with anything.

#12 divadivine25

divadivine25
    • 427 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

I guess it really just depends on your personal preference, and since FI doesn't currently have health insurance, two additional months is a long time. Technically it doesn't really make a difference either way, but it will give me peace of mind I'm sure :.) Besides, maybe when we have a bit too much to drink 10 years from now we will have a great story to tell!

#13 tangles66

tangles66
      • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

Wow 2 months! I keep hearing it takes forever!! Two months is not bad!!
        Mary

#14 Coconut Cream

Coconut Cream
        • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

So question... If you do have a private, legal ceremony in the states and then have just the beautiful ceremony in the islands are you're resorts still charging you? I am getting married at the Grand Lido, Negril (which is turning into Breezes, Negril). I just found out they are changing hands so that throws a wrench into a lot of things. I guess I will have to maybe ask about this. Thanks for starting this thread.

#15 lawieland

lawieland
          • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

I think a lot of people are doing the same thing, on the Cancun thread I read, basically everyone was having a ceremony in the US before they went and then having their destination ceremony as well. I just have to say i LOVE your flowers..absolutely beautiful.

#16 divadivine25

divadivine25
            • 427 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Coconut Cream
              So question... If you do have a private, legal ceremony in the states and then have just the beautiful ceremony in the islands are you're resorts still charging you? I am getting married at the Grand Lido, Negril (which is turning into Breezes, Negril). I just found out they are changing hands so that throws a wrench into a lot of things. I guess I will have to maybe ask about this. Thanks for starting this thread.
              Definetly check the reqiurements, but Im getting married at the RIU and there is still a cost, but its a bit cheaper.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by lawieland
              I think a lot of people are doing the same thing, on the Cancun thread I read, basically everyone was having a ceremony in the US before they went and then having their destination ceremony as well. I just have to say i LOVE your flowers..absolutely beautiful.
              Thank you! I cant wait for the rest of the package to arrive!

Quote:
              Originally Posted by TA Maureen
              A lot of Mexico brides do this because it is harder to get legally married in Mexico than Jamaica. Not harder, just a little less convenient because of the need to translate documents and have blood tests done. Jamaica doesn't require any of that. It is definitely up to your personal preference and each couple has to do what makes them comfortable and works for them. I was just sharing my experience which was no trouble with the legal marriage in Jamaica thing (knock on wood).
              Thanks Mo! Its very helpful to hear from a past bride!

#17 imapepper

imapepper
              • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

We are currently in pre-marital counseling, and will have the pastor marry us before we leave. We will marry the Monday before we leave. I do not want to be bothered with translating my certificate. Also, My Mom and MILl want a pastor to marry us as opposed to someone we REALLy do not know.

#18 divadivine25

divadivine25
                • 427 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by imapepper
                  We are currently in pre-marital counseling, and will have the pastor marry us before we leave. We will marry the Monday before we leave. I do not want to be bothered with translating my certificate. Also, My Mom and MILl want a pastor to marry us as opposed to someone we REALLy do not know.
                  Great idea Amma! And very meaningful.

I spoke with Chandlyn and she said that they only need a copy of the mariage license so keep that in mind ladies. I have to find out the turn around time for the certificate because FI will not be home until the 21st and we leave on the 2nd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users