Photo

Legal Ceremony in US

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 divadivine25

divadivine25
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

I have been thinking about the pros and cons of being married internationally for a while so I called the clerks office here in Northwest Indiana. I was told that international weddings are recognized in the US, but that I would not be able to file our marriage certificate with them once I receive it. This unsettled me because if for any reason we needed to have our marriage verified (buying a home, credit reasons, health insurance), the inquiring party would have to go through Jamaican officials to get that information.

Basically, as far as my states clerk office is concerned, I would not be married on their records since they don't file the international license.

At this point we are considering a jp ceremony here and then have our ceremony officiated in Jamaica, and observe that wedding day. Has anyone else considered this as well?

Im sure that there are a ton of threads but I'm interested in whats going on now with this. Thanks!

#2 jk1101

jk1101
    • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

I'm doing a legal ceremony in NJ and then having another ceremony in Jamaica. My Jamaica date will be my anniversary date.

#3 divadivine25

divadivine25
      • 427 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Jersey, Im beginning to think that we are doing the same thing. I'm sure it will be easier in the long run.

#4 divadivine25

divadivine25
        • 427 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by TA Maureen
          We were legally married in Jamaica and we have not had any issues using our official Jamaican marriage certificate for anything.

Everything has been changed using this certificate including Dl, SS card, bank accounts, medical insurance, credit cards, car insurance, etc.
          Were you able to file your marriage license in your home state?
          My question is this: If anyone had to check your marital status through the clerks office, are you technically listed as single?

How long did it take to receive the license?

#5 ~Debra~

~Debra~
          • 500 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

I was going to say the same thing that Maureen said. I was thinking when they send me my marriage license from Jamaica....isn't that it? I won't need to go to any office here and file right? I mean I know I need it to change all my documents over but isn't that where it ends? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, Maureen I'm going to PM you. I have some questions about Evitas.

#6 divadivine25

divadivine25
            • 427 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the information Maureen....just making sure....

#7 foundmyprince0907

foundmyprince0907
              • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

We also got married legally in our home state by a JP just a couple weeks ago and we'll have a ceremony in Jamaica and celebrate that date as our anniversary. I was worried about the same thing as you and just wanted one less thing to worry about in Jamaica. To each their own though!

#8 divadivine25

divadivine25
                • 427 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

I think thats what we may do as well :.)

#9 tangles66

tangles66
                  • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

My question is can you send a copy of the certificate you get on your wedding day to be added to your new husbands health insurance, change your Drivers License ect... or do you need to wait for the one to come in the mail. If you do how long does that taek
                    Mary

#10 JOSIE

JOSIE
                    • 1,792 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

We're getting married at the JP before too - just totally private me & him so we don't have to figure out all that other stuff. Nobody will know, and I was reassured that a symbolic ceremony looks exactly the same to all the guests, etc.

best of luck to you in whichever route you choose!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users