HELP... what should be included in a photography contract~???

Hey ladies, so my FI and i have booked photogs to come to the wedding to take pics... Im just wondering what kind of terms and conditions should i be asking for?? such as high resolution.. (i dont even know what that means) .. umm.. style of pictures, locations.. etc?... any advice would be REALLY appreciated!!! smile35.gif

you will definitely want all your images on disc in high-resolution (and what that means to you, is a fine enough resolution to make large prints--8x10 or 11x14--and still have them be crisp without any loss of quality). for instance stuff meant for screen only can be 72 dpi (dots per inch) while stuff meant for print should be at least 300 dpi at print size.

you will also want all rights to every image, meaning you can make as many prints as you want and post the images online anywhere you want. if you don't want the photogs to use the images in their portfolios, displayed in a studio, or used on a website, you will need to specify that. most companies will want to reserve the right to use your images as examples of their work. unless you're very private or have some risque pics (BD or some TTD) that you just don't want "out there," it's probably not an issue.

and there should definitely be some wording describing the types of situations where a partial or full refund would be warranted/expected, i.e. total no-shows.

I then Lisa have given you some great advise. Just make sure you get everything in writting. Find out what would happen if the photographer has a family emergency and can't attend the wedding at the last minute, what would the do with that situation? Will they reimburse you or find a replacement?

I would be surprised that the photographer that you have hired, doesn't send you some sort of contract for you to review and sign. So when you get that, just read it and make sure you are comfortable with what you are signing.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Good points ladies.

Also make sure the length of time that the photographer is willing to photograph is laid out (ie all day coverage, # of hours etc). Also usually there's a deposit involved make sure that's on there as well as the total cost for the package. That way there's' no hidden fees and it's all written out.

What ever was agreed to in your package should be written in the contract...for example if your package said you get:

"8 hours photography coverage the day of the wedding, a 2nd photographer the day of the wedding, 2 hours of photography at a Day after session, the high resolution disk of wedding and day after images with copyright letter allowing unlimited reprints, online image hosting for 6 months, and a 10x10" leather bound album with 30 sides."

then that should be specified in the terms of the contract.

Have you already given them money? You should never give money unless they've given you the contract to which you're agreeing.

Mummergirl and TammyB had lots of good advice about contingency plans for emergencies.

For style of pictures, hopefully you hired a photographer whose style you already love - so you don't have to worry about that.

• 1 year later...

I am bumping this thread just to see if there are any brides that wrote their own contracts for photographers and their destination wedding? I am wanting to get a contract for me and my photog just to protect us both and to make sure there are no misunderstandings about what is expected. If anyone has one that they are willing to share that would be greatly appreciated!!!