Calorie question.....

sjfreimark

I have been hiking a lot lately for about an hour. I am wondering if anyone knows about how many calories I should be eating when I am doing moderate exercise? I am about 185 pounds and 5'3''.

That's the other thing.........I weigh a lot more than I look!!! Why is this? Can people have denser (I don't even know if that's a word) than others? I just don't get it!!!!

Thanks girls.....I can come to you for ANYTHING!!!

The calories all depends on if you are trying to maintain weight or lose weight.

As for the weighing more than you look, I have the same problem. I'm 5'6" and weigh around 155. I wear a size 6 and when I tell people my weight they tell me I'm crazy and I don't look it. I've had doctors tell me it's either muscle mass or the fact I do have pretty dense bones. I have just learned not to focus on the number and just how things fit.

Like the last post said, it really depends on a lot of things. If you have a big frame, you probably have more poundage coming from your bones and muscles. Some people are "big boned" and that is certainly a consideration. If you are trying to maintain your weight, I dont see why 2200-2400 calories a day wouldnt work. Since you hike for about an hour, depending on the intensity, I am guessing you burn 200-250 calories...but you are keeping your metabolism up. If you are looking to drop a bunch of weight, keep up with an excercise program and drop your calories to about 1800 per day. Its tricky though...it cant be 1800 calories of brownies (ooh, that would be so yummy.) Its gotta be lots of fiber coming from wheat grains, or veggies. When I was dieting, I actually measured my portions. 1 serving of everything. If that meant I had a quarter cup of cereal, thats what I did. I had an average breakfast, lunch, and a bigger dinner with snacks between each meal. I lost a ton of weight in about 3 months based on 1800 calories per day. Well, good luck and I hope that helped.

Well if you are looking to shed pounds/inches, dont rely on the scale. Always go by how your clothes fit. The scale certainly helps...but always remember that a mirror never lies. Keep in mind, if you drink a ton of water one day, and you didnt pee it all out, the scale will say that you weigh more than you actually do...just cuz you have the extra water in your tummy.

NEVER feel bad about your weight...it's just a trivial number!

I am 5' 6", and weigh about 155, which for me is not good on my body type (it's, sadly, mostly in my hips!) but it really all comes down to YOUR body type and what is healthy for you! If you really want to track calories, I'd do it on a treadmill/stair climber/elliptical machine! There are so many variables when you go hiking/climbing, that I don't know if there are accurate ways of calculating "calories burned".

Anywhoo, you look so BEAUTIFUL already! Enjoy what you've got!

I don't remember the site, but I think I just searched through google and found a site that you can input your weight and height and the type of activity and it estimates how many calories you burn. I think there are a lot of sites out there, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a calorie counter I wear and when we backpack in the summer I burn upwards of 500 calories an hour. Of course that's hiking with elevation changes and 35 pounds on my back so it could be a little higher than just a regular day hike.

Mmm, speaking of hiking my annual backpacking trip in the Sawtooths is just around the corner! Yay for Memorial Day-now if only the damn snow will melt a little faster.