Photo

Delta adds $50 fee for 2nd bags on international flights

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Soon2beWed09

Soon2beWed09
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

The Delta fee is effective for new bookings starting today for international travel beginning July 1.

This is crazy..How will i get all my stuff to JA now?

#2 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
    • 2,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

Almost every airline has just changed this! We figure at this point we're just going to have to pay it. We have WAY too much stuff and a kid so we're just gonna pay it!

Although I just looked at the website and here's what it says:

Currently when traveling to or from cities outside the United States you can check two bags, per passenger at no extra charge. For tickets purchased on or after April 21, 2009 for travel beginning July 1, 2009, customers in economy class will be charged $50 US (or the local equivalent currency) for the second checked bag. Exceptions to the second checked bag fee include:

* First and Business Class passengers
      * SkyMiles and WorldPerks Elite members (Executive/Platinum/Gold, including Flying Colonels)
      * Active duty military members traveling on orders
      * Passengers who purchased tickets prior to April 21, 2009
      * Passengers who are confirmed on a Full Y class Economy ticket.

We purchased our tickets months ago so we are fine.

#3 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
      • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

wow this is insane? as long as we dont push back all airlines will follow suit! this is crazeeeee!!

#4 MarieSam

MarieSam
        • VIP Member
        • 2,336 posts
          • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

THANK GOD we booked our tix already, as this was the reason we chose Delta! I do think it's slowly but surely gonna be the trend with most airlines though.

#5 Jess

Jess
          • 4,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

phew - good thing we booked our tix before 4/21

but how are they really going to know? are they going to go through each person checking bags and see what their ticket purchase date was?? that seems like a lot of work

#6 divadivine25

divadivine25
            • 427 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by MarieSam
              THANK GOD we booked our tix already, as this was the reason we chose Delta! I do think it's slowly but surely gonna be the trend with most airlines though.
              Same thing I was thinking! We fly out in June and plan on packing all of our things in an extra suitcase!

#7 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
              • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jess
                phew - good thing we booked our tix before 4/21

but how are they really going to know? are they going to go through each person checking bags and see what their ticket purchase date was?? that seems like a lot of work
                Honey the computer system can tell what date the tickets were booked. The agent doesn't have to do anything. When they type in the number of bags, if the tickets were purchased today or later, the computer will prompt for payment. If they were purchased before it will just print out the tags. If you have any problems you should always bring your confirmation receipt.

I guarantee all airlines will follow! How quickly did they all start charging for the first checked bag on US flights?

#8 Jess

Jess
                • 4,455 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

ha thanks Jacilynda - i'm an idiot :)

#9 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
                  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

We have our moments! HA! I definitely have mine! How crazy would it be if each agent and to look at every reservation to see when it was booked!!!! I'd book a private plane!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users