Mom bought the dress & HATES the idea of TTD - do it anyway?

WOW! BIG, GIGANTIC HUGS and THANKS for the advice from all of you beautiful, SMART ladies of the BDW!

On one hand, I want to keep the peace. On the other, I want to stay true to what my FI and I have envisioned for our wedding. I think the idea of suggesting that I show her a few samples of TTD pics is a brilliant way to go, so she fully understands that I am not "Trashing" or mutilating the dress, just getting it a little wet, and making some unique memories!

And we'll see how a cheapie-dress search goes (if I find something, I'll be sure to post what I come up with!)

(Oh, and to Billysbride, please stop saying you are harsh already -- you're advice is always direct, to the point, and greatly insightful! Keep it up, darlin!

High-fives to you all, (and I'll keep you posted on what happens)! I'll make my Mama come around if it's the last thing I do (or, if she doesn't like it, TOUGH!)

~ Christie :)

My mother was the SAME way. She freaked out when I told her what I wanted to do with my dress ... called me crazy, disrespectful (my grandmother, her Mum, paid for my wedding dress) and wondered how I could even think to do that!!Plus she has some crazy " plan" for the dress after the wedding - God knows what that is ...

Anyways ... I let it slide in the beginning ... didn't bring it up too often and didn't fight back when she said I was crazy. Instead, I just let the idea sit with her ... she'd bring it up every now and then, asking if I was still "crazy" and then I showed her some TTD pics and showed her how nice it could really look ... and I also showed her some posts from girls on here who have said the ocean actually CLEANED their dresses!!!

Then she changed her tune and started to say the ocean was fine, she just didn't want me jumping in chlorinated water with the dress on. Hehehe

So, I think you should give her time to warm up to it. Don't fight her on it ... show her pics, some posts from girls on here and explain that you aren't actuallt TRASHING the dress ... like lighting it on fire or anything. LOL I think the name throws a lot of mothers off ...

Good luck though! And remember: In the end, this is YOUR day. It took me much too long to realize that ... do what YOU want and know that no matter what decision you make, your Mum is family and she's going to love you just the same at the end of the day, covered in sand and salt water or not. ;-)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • Hi everyone! I have been doing lots of research on various wedding venues all around Mexico, my fiance wants a destination wedding and I am happy to have a wedding wherever so long as the vibe is right and guests are happy!  I have been seriously looking at Cabo Azul and was trying to find potential costs for them, but only found a page about their wedding costs from 2010. Does anyone have any updated information on costs / reviews they would like to share of this venue? Or advice in general, anything helps. Thanks so much, happy wedding planning to all!
    • Hello everyone, I am dreaming of a wedding in Costa Rica and was wondering if I could get any help with venues and wedding planners. I am thinking Tamarindo because a close friend of mine lives there and I've been in town more than a couple of times, she's being helpful but is at a loss when it comes to this subject really so I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations. I am not closed to other town suggestions either, if I happen to find a good place and staff somewhere else. These are the places I have so far, has anyone had any experience with any of them?  Stay In Tamarindo Luxury Villas in Costa Rica Luxury Villas Pinilla Tropical Homes of Costa Rica The Point Luxury Villa Thank you so much for your help!
    • Have you ever considered having a wedding inside a bubble? With the current global situation, many couples are looking for unique and creative ways to celebrate their special day while keeping their guests safe. A wedding inside a bubble could provide a whimsical and intimate setting for your ceremony and reception. Imagine saying your vows surrounded by a beautiful bubble filled with twinkling lights and flowers, creating a magical atmosphere for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
    • Adult only resort or not? Let's discuss the pros and cons of choosing an adult-only resort for your honeymoon. While some couples may appreciate the peace and quiet that comes with an adults-only environment, others may prefer a more family-friendly atmosphere. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had any experiences at adult-only resorts that you'd like to share? Let's hear your opinions and recommendations!
    • When it comes to planning a wedding, one of the most exciting parts is choosing the perfect wedding favours for your guests. These small tokens of appreciation are a great way to thank your loved ones for being a part of your special day and to make them feel appreciated.
  • Topics