Photo

Who loves to Read???

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

#241 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

oh he will make an excellent neighbour! can't wait to see it!

#242 ~Nicole~

~Nicole~
    • 4,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

I was talking about this in another thread and thought I might as well post it here!

I'm reading "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall and I love it. I started it on Sunday and I'm almost done. It's about the polygomous sect, FLDS as explained by an ex-member. I feel really ignorant while reading it as I was not very educated on the religion. So if you're into true stories or autobiographies, I recommend it.

Lovely Bones - Loved the book, not so much the movie. I read the book so long ago that I actually can't even remember if the endings were the same.....

My sisters Keeper - same thing, loved the book but I thought the movie sucked.

Another book I highly recommend is "still alice" by Lisa Genova. Its about a harvard professor that is diagnosed with Alzheimers. Amazing.

That's all I've got for now!
      *Formerly Nikki07*
      My Planning Thread

#243 coley88

coley88
      • 186 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by butterfly4kathy2
        has anyone ever tried paperbackswap.com?
        I'm a member of paperbackswap, it's a great way to get rid of books you won't read again and try out new books that you may not want to pay for. I've saved over $367 in the past 2 years alone. They don't have a ton of newer books, but I've found plenty to read on the site. If you LOVE to read and have a ton of books you won't be reading again I suggest it. I cut my bookshelves down (only to restock recently).

#244 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
        • 2,287 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by ~Nicole~
          Another book I highly recommend is "still alice" by Lisa Genova. Its about a harvard professor that is diagnosed with Alzheimers. Amazing.

That's all I've got for now!
          I've had my eye on that when I went to Chapters tonight. Guess I'll have to pick that one up too!

#245 Birdie07

Birdie07
          • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

Quote:

I'm reading "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall and I love it. I started it on Sunday and I'm almost done. It's about the polygomous sect, FLDS as explained by an ex-member. I feel really ignorant while reading it as I was not very educated on the religion. So if you're into true stories or autobiographies, I recommend it.
            I'm a former LDS member and am also fascinated by this and have ton of research. If you want other books similar to this I have quite a few recommendations.

#246 Tifuhhknee

Tifuhhknee
            • 631 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

I read The Lovely Bones and really enjoyed it until about the last third of the book. Then it just skipped too much time and I didn't care a whole lot for it. That's just me though. Have yet to watch the movie.

Picked up Dear John to read while FI took his very long NCLEX test while I waited in the car. Another one that I was able to get to cheap small version because of the movie. It was a sweet book, easy read, started and finished reading it yesterday. The moral was fantastic, but parts of the story really made me sad. I'm really interested in the movie now though to see how they carried out the story on film.

Next? The Pianist. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie and got the book off of Amazon. It's basically about the Holocaust, but in Poland.
              Destination Wedding: April 21, 2011
              At Home Reception: May 7, 2011
              25 guests + bride + groom booked

My Wedding Planning Notes

#247 Birdie07

Birdie07
              • 1,218 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Tifuhhknee
                I read The Lovely Bones and really enjoyed it until about the last third of the book. Then it just skipped too much time and I didn't care a whole lot for it. That's just me though. Have yet to watch the movie.

Picked up Dear John to read while FI took his very long NCLEX test while I waited in the car. Another one that I was able to get to cheap small version because of the movie. It was a sweet book, easy read, started and finished reading it yesterday. The moral was fantastic, but parts of the story really made me sad. I'm really interested in the movie now though to see how they carried out the story on film.

Next? The Pianist. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie and got the book off of Amazon. It's basically about the Holocaust, but in Poland.

The Holocaust was in Poland and pretty much all of Europe. The Holocaust did not happen just in Germany. Majority of work, concentration and death camps were in Poland. The Pianist IS about the Holocaust.

#248 ~Nicole~

~Nicole~
                • 4,512 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CaliaA07
                  I'm a former LDS member and am also fascinated by this and have ton of research. If you want other books similar to this I have quite a few recommendations.
                  Really, a former member? Wow. I just finished reading it last night and I can't even explain how it made me feel, well besides ignorant. I can't believe that I was so clueless to the LDS. I thought the book was fantastic. For sure if you have some recommendations send them my way!
                  *Formerly Nikki07*
                  My Planning Thread

#249 Mischaka

Mischaka
                  • 969 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

I love reading! I even bought the Nook by Barnes and Noble. just to cut down on luggage. I'm really into series. Cause sometimes I don't want the story to end. lol Right now i'm ready Sookie Stackhouse.

#250 Birdie07

Birdie07
                    • 1,218 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

Quote:
                      Really, a former member? Wow. I just finished reading it last night and I can't even explain how it made me feel, well besides ignorant. I can't believe that I was so clueless to the LDS. I thought the book was fantastic. For sure if you have some recommendations send them my way!
                      I should clarify. I'm a former LDS not FLDS member. Elissa was in the FLDS (Fundamentalist LDS)....so the LDS does not practice polygamy like the FLDS. I will get that list to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users