#191 YaelM

YaelM

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KAMAY11
    I am about to read A Thousand Splendid Suns which I have been told is AMAZING! I need an amazing book, as it seems i have been disappointed quite a bit lately!
    It is AMAZING!! Its in my top 5 all time favorite books. You should also read Kite Runner if you havent already :)

#192 vlynnw

vlynnw
    • 6,003 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

I love to read and forgot how much I missed it until right before Christmas, I've always had my nose in a book since I was 6 but haven't read anything that wasn't academically binding in over a year. I picked up the twilight series and started reading it and like many of you I was completely consumed by it. It has got me back to reading again and allowing me to escape school once in awhile. I just finished another vampire series that still has some books coming out but it's called "blue blood novels" they are pretty good. I also am a sucker for classics like pride and prejudice, wuthering heights, little women, and brave new world.

One of the greatest books I have ever read though is "left to tell" by immaculee ilibagiza, I highly recommend this one. I'm going through this thread now though and adding some of these to my 2010 reading list!
      Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#193 FutureMsMoulton

FutureMsMoulton
      • 762 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by KAMAY11
        I just read the Friday Night Knitting Club...I thought it was only OK.

I am about to read A Thousand Splendid Suns which I have been told is AMAZING! I need an amazing book, as it seems i have been disappointed quite a bit lately!
        Thats in my Top 10 Must Reads! Have you read the Memoir the Glass Castle? Thats my #1. I am reading Memoirs of Geisha and I can't put it down. I have the Friday Night Knitting Club but can't bring myself to pick it up and read it.

#194 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
        • 456 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by FutureMsMoulton
          Thats in my Top 10 Must Reads! Have you read the Memoir the Glass Castle? Thats my #1. I am reading Memoirs of Geisha and I can't put it down. I have the Friday Night Knitting Club but can't bring myself to pick it up and read it.
          I had to force myself to get thru Friday Night Knitting Club...It wasn't terrible, just blahhh.

I have not read The Glass Castle before...I may have to pick up that, Memoirs of a Geisha and The Kite Runner....Wooohoo, I love having new books!!

For some light chick lit, I'm looking forward to Emily Giffin's new book "Heart of the Matter" to come out this Spring!
          D & K
          October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#195 BachataBride

BachataBride
          • Banned
          • 9,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I need to go to Chapters & pick up a few of these for our vacation on Monday!
            I'm currently reading "Bitter is the new Black" - it's entertaining...but not really stimulating!

#196 Jenn79

Jenn79
            • 625 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

For any of you non-fiction readers, or if you just like a compelling read, I recently started The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It's really quite interesting, and touches on a bunch of scientific speculations on what would happen to the planet if humans just up and disappeared. I've had it in my "want to read" list for a few years, and was finally able to pick it up a couple weeks ago. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Another book I read recently was P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern, and I cannot believe it took me so long to pick it up. I really enjoy her writing style.
              Jenn & Timm, May 10, 2007
              Review Pictures Pro Pictures
              "i write to be read" Fiction by Timm Holmes

#197 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
              • Moderators
              • 25,218 posts
              • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
              • LocationSeattle

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

hi jenn! i saw you post and had to check it out :)

im LOVING the true blood books (sookie stackhouse books). they are SO fun! we dont have cable so i havent watched the show yet. but the books are really quick but enjoyable reads. if anyone is into janet evanovich's stephanie plum series, and you like supernatural stuff too, you will love them. the main character is a hoot and i cant wait to read each next book so see what kind of trouble she will get herself into.

#198 Oryx

Oryx
              • 727 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:57 AM

I'm almost finished the Book of Negroes -- an excellent story, although difficult and depressing to read at times.

#199 aimee!

aimee!
                • 696 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Abbie
                  hi jenn! i saw you post and had to check it out :)

im LOVING the true blood books (sookie stackhouse books). they are SO fun! we dont have cable so i havent watched the show yet. but the books are really quick but enjoyable reads. if anyone is into janet evanovich's stephanie plum series, and you like supernatural stuff too, you will love them. the main character is a hoot and i cant wait to read each next book so see what kind of trouble she will get herself into.
                  I am a true blood fanatic & just finished the first book... moving on to #2. Now that wedding planning is officially over (2 years in the making!) I've got time to spend on other things I enjoy.

I really liked the first book, and have heard only great things about the series. So I'll keep you guys updated. :)
                  Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

#200 Jamaica0619

Jamaica0619
                  • 475 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FutureMsMoulton
                    Next up the "Book Thief"!
                    I read the Book Thief awhile ago. The writing style is unique, but the story line is really good. I really enjoyed the book.
                    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. ~ Albert Camas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users