Jump to content

Photo

Lifting of Cuba and US Embargo


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JulieG

JulieG
  • VIP Member
  • 8,323 posts

    Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

    I am curious to know what everyone thinks about this.

    Loosening of Cuba embargo could mean huge possibilities for U.S. businesses - Los Angeles Times

    #2 Alyssa

    Alyssa
    • Sr. Member
    • 11,793 posts

      Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

      Jules it doesn't really affect US Citizens - only Cuban Nationals - meaning that restrictions are being lifted so that Cuban Nationals can go back to Cuba 1x per year instead of 1x every 3 years and the cell towers / internet / cable signals will be opened up.

      so for regular US Citizens -we still can NOT travel back and forth to Cuba

      #3 JulieG

      JulieG
      • VIP Member
      • 8,323 posts

        Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

        Really, I am so confused because the articles I read made it sound like you could travel there. Huh. I will have to find that specific article. I am sleep deprived though, so I could have just interpreted it that way. So it really does not mean anything huh, well at least its a step in the right direction no?

        #4 2bebridejamaica

        2bebridejamaica
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,206 posts

          Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

          Julie you just beat me to it... LOL.... I was just reading this and was wondering what everyone else thought since we have alot of Canadian brides who have gotten married in Cuba with amazing pictures to boot who love the country.

          As for me, I would love to be able to go. It would be as if time stood still and back to a day in the US maybe late 50's era. Getting rid of all modern technologies, the onslot and over crowding of vehicles and such. I think a much simpler time. A place to check out the beauty before it's gone to everything commercialized. I would go as soon as my passport let me.

          For the article I read, I guess I would be in the majority of people wanting to see the country. But with that said .. and only having enough rooms on the entire island like say Detroit, I would be waiting a long time or driven up with high costs in going as without the US wanting to come currently they are at a 60 to 80% capacity.

          It's always something to think about. The ban has been long over due!

          #5 2bebridejamaica

          2bebridejamaica
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,206 posts

            Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

            This is the article I read up on ... It's very interesting and suggests the current state of Americans being able to enter the country.

            Can Cuba Cope With an Onslaught of Americans? - MSN Travel Articles

            #6 Alyssa

            Alyssa
            • Sr. Member
            • 11,793 posts

              Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by JulieG
              Really, I am so confused because the articles I read made it sound like you could travel there. Huh. I will have to find that specific article. I am sleep deprived though, so I could have just interpreted it that way. So it really does not mean anything huh, well at least its a step in the right direction no?
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by 2bebridejamaica
              Julie you just beat me to it... LOL.... I was just reading this and was wondering what everyone else thought since we have alot of Canadian brides who have gotten married in Cuba with amazing pictures to boot who love the country.

              As for me, I would love to be able to go. It would be as if time stood still and back to a day in the US maybe late 50's era. Getting rid of all modern technologies, the onslot and over crowding of vehicles and such. I think a much simpler time. A place to check out the beauty before it's gone to everything commercialized. I would go as soon as my passport let me.

              For the article I read, I guess I would be in the majority of people wanting to see the country. But with that said .. and only having enough rooms on the entire island like say Detroit, I would be waiting a long time or driven up with high costs in going as without the US wanting to come currently they are at a 60 to 80% capacity.

              It's always something to think about. The ban has been long over due!

              "Americans without families in Cuba can travel to the island only if the visit is related to agriculture, a sporting event or for humanitarian missions. Journalists can also travel to Cuba."

              "Now it's up to the Cuban government to let its people have access to this type of goods and services."

              "The administration also will now allow computers, software and phones to be donated to Cuba without a license."

              I think we will be able to eventually travel to and from Cuba but this policy shift is more about business expansion and also testing the Cuban goverment by the US saying "we are not in the way anymore...so if you can't get cable, phone etc. it is the Cuban Government...US doesn't want to be blamed anymore for that."


              #7 FutureMRS.

              FutureMRS.
              • Newbie
              • 67 posts

                Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alyssa
                Jules it doesn't really affect US Citizens - only Cuban Nationals - meaning that restrictions are being lifted so that Cuban Nationals can go back to Cuba 1x per year instead of 1x every 3 years and the cell towers / internet / cable signals will be opened up.

                so for regular US Citizens -we still can NOT travel back and forth to Cuba
                I am confused. How is it that some are allowed to marry there? I also have seen on other travel boards, people that have traveled there for vacation.

                #8 FutureMRS.

                FutureMRS.
                • Newbie
                • 67 posts

                  Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

                  Nevermind i assume those people are not from the US. Perhaps Canada or European countries...

                  #9 Sapphire723

                  Sapphire723
                  • Member
                  • 888 posts

                    Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Alyssa
                    "Americans without families in Cuba can travel to the island only if the visit is related to agriculture, a sporting event or for humanitarian missions. Journalists can also travel to Cuba."
                    Alyssa, this quote is talking about the current state of affairs. Currently, you can only travel to Cuba if you have family or is related to the aforementioned items. The article is about the possible lifting of the ban on travel to Cuba so that all Americans can travel to Cuba.

                    #10 katrina

                    katrina

                      VIP Member

                    • VIP Member
                    • 4,328 posts

                      Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

                      i'm just glad there is some sort of movement going on.. personally, dh and i can't wait to be able to travel there.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users