Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dmitri_Markine

How to avoid your room being robbed while traveling

Recommended Posts

I am sure we've heard that before and seen reviews about missing stuff from the rooms,etc.

I found a little trick that works.

Every time I live my room, I put the Do Not Disturb sign.

It works like a charm. Some hotels don't have these signs in each room,but ask the front desk.

If they still don't have it. Just write it yourself on a piece of paper and stick it somewhere on the door.

Leaving your TV/radio and lights on can also steer the bad guys away.

You can also leave a good tip to the housekeeping ladies on your first day(if you think they maybe the ones...).

Perhaps be there on the first day of cleaning to say hi.

If you are in a country with tough economic situation(eg. Cuba) bring some gifts for the hotel staff. There's no reason to give money as gifts can work as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one of the forum photographers tested this method. he left a $1 bill on the bed as a tip for housecleaning & put up the do not disturb sign. the $1 bill was gone when he returned.

 

That is what I always did when I traveled, but then my room was never cleaned. On my last trip to mexico, I just kept everything locked in luggage within luggage.

 

We packed a bunch of snacks, because the last AI i stayed in had terrible food. Our hotel had great food, so we didn't need all the snacks. So we started leaving a piece of chocolate from the snack bag & a $1 bill for housecleaning. The hotel staff in mexico work so hard & make so little so we loved tipping the entire trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
one of the forum photographers tested this method. he left a $1 bill on the bed as a tip for housecleaning & put up the do not disturb sign. the $1 bill was gone when he returned.

That is what I always did when I traveled, but then my room was never cleaned. On my last trip to mexico, I just kept everything locked in luggage within luggage.
This is why I like to say Hi to the housekeeping lady on my first day at the hotel. I don't need the room to be cleaned every day so I tell her when to come back. Then I give her a tip(say $5) and have a small talk for a minute :)
Even if she's the one that steals stuff, my guess she'd less likely to do so to a person who's being that nice to her.
I also never ask my room to be cleaned a day prior to the departure. From what I hear, things usually get taken between then and the last day.
Overall, putting valuables in a locked suitcase can greatly reduce any attempts.

This all may sound a bit paranoid to some,but when you have $20K in equipment with you, it's good to have protective measures against any attempts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine View Post
This is why I like to say Hi to the housekeeping lady on my first day at the hotel. I don't need the room to be cleaned every day so I tell her when to come back. Then I give her a tip(say $5) and have a small talk for a minute :)
Even if she's the one that steals stuff, my guess she'd less likely to do so to a person who's being that nice to her.
I also never ask my room to be cleaned a day prior to the departure. From what I hear, things usually get taken between then and the last day.
Overall, putting valuables in a locked suitcase can greatly reduce any attempts.

This all may sound a bit paranoid to some,but when you have $20K in equipment with you, it's good to have protective measures against any attempts.
I don't think it's paranoid at all. I was locking up my canon point & shoot.

The experience that photographer had with the $1 bill might have been a fluke too. I still use the do not disturb strategy at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great advice. Things that I would not have thought of. I ususally just use the hotel safe or lock my luggage. I usually do not tip the housekeeping staff until the last day. (I thought that was customary) I will try these tips on my next trip. Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfected View Post
Great advice. Things that I would not have thought of. I ususally just use the hotel safe or lock my luggage. I usually do not tip the housekeeping staff until the last day. (I thought that was customary) I will try these tips on my next trip. Thanks guys!
I would suggest not using the hotel safe for anything. I've heard from many people that money/valuables were stolen from their safe, because the hotel staff has an override code for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always put my stuff in the safe in the room too - oops - but I know the staff can get in b/c my in-laws forgot their code and someone from the staff came and opened it for them (duh). I've never had a problem, but these tips are good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
  • Topics

×