Photo

What to do with single guests?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hbsbride

hbsbride
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

A few of my guests are single and planning to attend my wedding solo. It's cheaper to book a dual occupancy room than a single room. I've offered to connect these people to other single guests to see if they would want to share a room. Although I'm willing to help out, some of my guests are expecting me to find them partners and set up the arrangements. I'm happy to help but how much of this is my responsibility? I can't guarantee that I can find enough single guests to pair up. Just wondering what other brides have done.

#2 big3n09

big3n09
    • 616 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

It's really not your responsibility but if you have offered to help i would do that but don't stress yourself out. Maybe you can introduce the people you plan to pair together AND let them exchange info and then they do the rest. See if they all can meet, start a blog ON FACEBOOKE, or some OTHER method of bringING them together to let them decide on who they want to room with and exchange info so they can arrAnge the rest. Good luck!
      4/1/11 in St. Kitts at the Marriott I married my best-friend!!!

#3 montegobay09

montegobay09
      • 832 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

I was in the same predicament and my travel agent actually did a lot of the work for us. If your TA isn't up for suggesting it to people maybe you could just make a list of all the single people going with their contact information (if they agree of course) and then let them work it out. If they really want to save the $$ they will have to make the contacts themselves. I dunno, maybe that's being insensitive but that's what I'd do. I think you did great just suggesting it to people and if you do the work to get the contact info then I think you've done what you can.

Good luck!

#4 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
        • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I had the same issue. I created a spreadsheet of all my guests, their contact info and status and sent it to her. before hand I asked if a single if they wanted DBle occupancy or a single and if double, if they were interested in room sharing. My TA handled folow-up with anyone that expressed interest in room sharing. It totally should not be your responsibility.

#5 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
          • 4,881 posts
          • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
          • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
          • LocationNew York

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

Personally, I would think that an e-mail to all of your single guests with the other single guest's e-mail addresses (and maybe pertinent rooming info, like arrival & departure dates, gender, smoker/non-smoker) would be enough. Then tell them to contact someone else on the list if they want to share.

Leave it at that.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#6 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 8,569 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I had 2 single guests and they just ended up booking their own rooms despite my attempts to pair them. Everyone else just paired up.

One guy got a better deal booking a single thru orbitz than the TA, but the double room rates were better with the TA than anywhere else.

#7 bumbles

bumbles
            • 574 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

I would just ask who wants a roommate, provide contact info for those who do, and let everyone work out the details on their own :)

#8 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 12,151 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by hbsbride
                some of my guests are expecting me to find them partners and set up the arrangements.
                *expecting* you to?!?! sorry but that borders on being just plain rude. it's not your fault they can't find a date! LOL

i agree with others ... beyond providing your single guests with the names/contacts of suggested roomies, your responsibility here is zero. i went through this myself and my MOH got bumped around from room to room until she finally landed in a room with my sister (my sister doesn't particularly like her, and didn't want to room with her, but it saved them both money so she's sucking it up).

#9 jenniebey

jenniebey
                • 842 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

I guess I feel a little different. I want everyone to have fun and not feel like they're paying twice as much. So I'm trying to reach out to the singles and let them know we'll find them roommates. So far it's working out okay.

#10 jurisdr

jurisdr
                  • 40 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

If it's just a few single guests, then maybe go w/compatibility or interests (similar to what beck said) and give them each other's contact info. I would not make the arrangements for them, but merely supply them w/a compatible person's contact info.
                    I'm the Mother (step-mom) of bride.

The bride asked me to plan her wedding w/the help of a WC. Yay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users