Jump to content

Photo

OMG! FREAKING OUT ABOUT ROOM BLOCK - help please!


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 TammyWright

TammyWright

    Admin & Owner

  • Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hln321
Thanks Tammy and everyone else.

I just checked the rates on Riu's website and they're $200pp cheaper for the week...now I"m confused But that makes things MUCH easier if that's the case - they can just book on their own
its not just booking on your own BUT you need to realize that riu is having a promotion...these rates may not last and if the hotel books up like it did for jweinde it doesnt matter what the cost is because the rooms are gone.

having a room block guarantees the rooms are available for your guests...

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

 
Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
 
Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


#12 anaderoux

anaderoux
  • Sr. Member
  • 3,220 posts

    Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:18 AM

    Heidi I'm so sorry this happened, I really don't have useful advice 'cause my wedding is not at an all-inclusive, so I don't care where my guest are staying.. I did a room block but I'm getting that back when people start booking and if not enough people books I'm getting that money deduced from the food bill..

    Maybe what you can do now is think thing throughly.. if you thing you are able to do it, save to make the deposit or put it in your credit card.. if not, think about changing locations or eloping.. keep in mind that the important thing is to get married.. of course you want to celebrate but people sometimes don't appreciate what you do for them.. think about what you and your FI really want and need to do..

    #13 gkashmira

    gkashmira
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,962 posts

      Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:29 AM

      Great advice Anny! I think Anny made a great point when she said, "Keep in mind that the important thing is to get married"
      Kashmira & Dan
      Happily married since June 16, 2007
      http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
      Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
      Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

      #14 dragonfly

      dragonfly
      • Sr. Member
      • 1,820 posts

        Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:48 AM

        Take a deep breath, please don't cry. This has happened to most of us, this is the most difficult part of the whole dw. First talk to other ta's, make them compete with each other. I compared two on-line ta's, with three different local ta's. This is where the work comes in. Then tell the ta that the best you can do is a $150.00 deposit and give them the lowest quote you got, and then tell her if she can't accomadate you, you will have to go elsewhere. There is always another ta willing to take your money. I then contacted everyone via e-cards, and a some phone calls, gave them all the info, told them that if they wanted the secured price they had to book by ? date. If not they would be taking their chance on whether they can be accomadated, and the price point. After that there is not much more you can do. You will be surprised how many booked, by the date I had 38 people, a couple days after I had 2 more, at the same price. I still have a few more coming, and I really am not too worried about if they can book or not. I had lots of stress, and my partner reminded me it was about us, and whoever could make it, great, but if not we were still going to have a beautiful wedding. My sister also wasn't going to come, but when she relized there was no turning back for us, she phoned and booked her trip. My point in this is, breath remember who this is about, and it will all work out in the end.
        Sorry this is so long, but I feel bad how upset you are, you will get through this and then get back to the fun stuff of planning a wedding. If you need help let me know.
        Kelly~

        #15 gkashmira

        gkashmira
        • Sr. Member
        • 1,962 posts

          Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by dragonfly
          Take a deep breath, please don't cry. This has happened to most of us, this is the most difficult part of the whole dw. First talk to other ta's, make them compete with each other. I compared two on-line ta's, with three different local ta's. This is where the work comes in. Then tell the ta that the best you can do is a $150.00 deposit and give them the lowest quote you got, and then tell her if she can't accomadate you, you will have to go elsewhere. There is always another ta willing to take your money. I then contacted everyone via e-cards, and a some phone calls, gave them all the info, told them that if they wanted the secured price they had to book by ? date. If not they would be taking their chance on whether they can be accomadated, and the price point. After that there is not much more you can do. You will be surprised how many booked, by the date I had 38 people, a couple days after I had 2 more, at the same price. I still have a few more coming, and I really am not too worried about if they can book or not. I had lots of stress, and my partner reminded me it was about us, and whoever could make it, great, but if not we were still going to have a beautiful wedding. My sister also wasn't going to come, but when she relized there was no turning back for us, she phoned and booked her trip. My point in this is, breath remember who this is about, and it will all work out in the end.
          Sorry this is so long, but I feel bad how upset you are, you will get through this and then get back to the fun stuff of planning a wedding. If you need help let me know.
          Kelly~
          More good advice! I think a lot of people have been in a similar boat. Can you just put an interest free credit card down for the deposit instead? You need ten people right? So go through your list and talk to the the 8 other people you think for sure are coming. Maybe those people can help with their deposit? Don't worry - it will be ok!
          Kashmira & Dan
          Happily married since June 16, 2007
          http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
          Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
          Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

          #16 boscobel

          boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

            Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

            Wow, Heidi, I am sorry to hear such drama. I have similar things going on, so I feel your pain. My mom is now telling me (after months of talking about this is what I want), that her and my dad can't afford to come. I got really pissed at first, because she tried to make it about my brother, but in the end, I had to realize that this IS about me and Matt getting married, and of course I would like the people important to me there. But it came down to would I be happy having a traditional wedding? I don't mean to talk about myself, I am just trying to show that you are not alone.

            I agree with most of what I read here - you could follow up your STD with a phone call to each individual and explain the need to book by a certain date to get those rates. Mostly everyone has traveled before, so I am sure they would understand.

            The thing I don't understand though is why is this so hard for us? When planning a destination wedding, you SHOULD be able to lock in a rate! Maybe in the future, TA's will have new procedures mapped out for this.

            Anyway, so sorry to hear you are experiencing such drama. I wish I had better advice!

            #17 tvt

            tvt
            • VIP Member
            • 4,812 posts

              Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

              Oh Heidi, this sucks! I really don't have any good adivce for you, but I'm sending you positive thoughts and hope this all works out.

              Is it normal for a TA to require a pp deposit?

              #18 TammyWright

              TammyWright

                Admin & Owner

              • Administrators
              • 11,659 posts
              • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

              Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by carlymcmullen
              The thing I don't understand though is why is this so hard for us? When planning a destination wedding, you SHOULD be able to lock in a rate! Maybe in the future, TA's will have new procedures mapped out for this.
              i am very thorough when i explain group blocks, deposits to my clients. i have also posted the information numerous times on this forum. do a search for "group blocks" and i am sure a bunch of information will come up.

              it is not that it is HARD to lock in a rate, it is just that the hotel needs a guarantee from you (which usually translates to a dpeosit) to guarantee the room for you. You cannot expect them to block off a group of rooms at a certain rate for you without a deposit. this is bad business....then people would block wayyyy more rooms then they needed and rlease them a month or so before departure date...how is that fair for the non-group traveller when they try to book a room to find out all the rooms have been saved w/no deposit. If rates are out, I can usually get them blocked w/ a contract in a week.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by tvt
              Is it normal for a TA to require a pp deposit?
              yes on a group block...either per person or per room.

              Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

               
              Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
               
              Awards and recognition: 
              Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
              Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
              Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
              sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
              Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


              #19 MikkiStreak

              MikkiStreak
              • VIP Member
              • 2,347 posts

                Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by host
                You cannot expect them to block off a group of rooms at a certain rate for you without a deposit. this is bad business....then people would block wayyyy more rooms then they needed and rlease them a month or so before departure date...how is that fair for the non-group traveller when they try to book a room to find out all the rooms have been saved w/no deposit. If rates are out, I can usually get them blocked w/ a contract in a week.
                Totally agree. Resorts wouldn't survive if they didn't require "proof" of a client's intentions.

                Also, I wanted to point out, that after reading a ton of Tammy's posts about blocks, reservations, flights, etc... as well as information from the TA we're using and information I received when I interviewed TA's to make our selection--- I don't think this is really the TA who is requiring this. It's something that falls more on the shoulders of the resorts and the vacation resellers the TA's use for their clients. The TA, it seems to me, is more like your personal representative who knows the industry well enough to know BS when they hear it and to also know how to get rates/deposits lowered for their clients based on their relationship with the resellers/resorts and how much business they do with them.

                I think the more important thing to point out, is that these are also issues that brides should address with their TA or resort rep prior to making the decision on which location to get married. I think a lot of times, we get so caught in up the wedding package pricing, the optional items pricing, etc... that we don't focus enough on the actual travel arrangements and our obligations for ourselves and our guests.

                I have a list of questions that I posted on the forum awhile back that is useful when talking to a TA--- it deals with deposits, customer service expectations, etc... it might help some brides to use that as a starting point when trying to select a location/TA.

                #20 Shelley

                Shelley
                • Jr. Member
                • 169 posts

                  Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

                  Heidi, I dont' really have too much more to offer here above and beyond what everyone else has said, but just wanted to reinforce that you are not alone! And I can tell you that we ended up following some of these suggestions and everything has turned out fine. We went between several TA's to get the lowest rates we could find. We then sent out a mass e-mail (probably should've done STD's but oh well...) just laying out the details of prices, group rates, and deposits. Anyways, we needed 10 people to secure the group rate, so I did what was suggested above - just went to 8 people that I knew were in for sure and they all went and paid their own $200pp so we were never out of pocket b/c like you we're financing this on our own and it's tough to come up with that much money. I just let my guests know that they can join the group rate whenever they want after this date but no guarantees as to availability. Several people have joined after, and there's been no problems.

                  As for your sister, I can TOTALLY relate. My oldest sister was in my bridal party, but first backed out of that and then had a huge blowout with me about how i was being so selfish to have a destination wedding, I was a horrible person for doing this, etc. At the end of the day, it really hurts when people who you think will be happy for you do this to you, but I just try to keep in mind who's wedding it is, and what will make you happy. Also, whether you get married at home or abroad it seems like there's always someone who doesn't like how you're doing things. It'll all work out! And remember, you always have us!




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users