Photo

Beautiful earrings from a sad story.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drtracy

drtracy
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

I’ve realized that I have to start getting my planning post ready as I’m under a month to go; however, there is one aspect of my planning that deserved its own thread. So I'm hoping Bride Referrals is the place...

Unfortunately, this starts with a sad story so be forewarned.
    Approximately one year ago I was a professor at a small school in Boston, over spring break I received an email from our department chair asking if I could cover classes for one of my colleagues when we return as she had an emergency. I could, so I said yes. My colleague was gone for a week when we received an email with the news that her boyfriend had unexpectedly died. With the devastating news several of us scrambled to cover her classes and sent her good wishes. Shortly after his death my colleague found out that her boyfriend had been planning to propose to her on a planned trip to NYC the following month. His family gave her the diamond that he had purchased planning on having her ring custom made.

While dealing with all of this tragedy my friend decided that she wanted to honor her fianc©â€™s memory and return to something that she loved, making jewelry. She makes beautiful items and sells them on Etsy. She also custom makes jewelry and told me that she especially loves making things for brides. Ten percent of all proceeds are donated to a memorial fund established at Duke University in memory of her fianc©. You can read more about her story on her Etsy website
    Click the image to open in full size.

My mom:

And my FMILs:

I don’t think the pictures do the actual earrings justice but I’m beyond happy!
    I wanted to pass her story on here as I think it’s a wonderful example of taking a tragedy that would devastate us all and trying to make something beautiful out of it. And, of course, shamelessly plug her work (isn’t that what friends are for).

#2 Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez

Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez
    • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Very touching story and the earrings are very pretty.

#3 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,569 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Gulp, this story brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing and the earrings are absolutely stunning!

#4 Carolyn

Carolyn
        • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

Wow. Very touching and emtional story.

#5 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
          • Moderators
          • 25,218 posts
          • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
          • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

beautiful earrings, i like the BM ones the best :)

#6 drtracy

drtracy
          • 436 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Abbie
            beautiful earrings, i like the BM ones the best :)
            Thanks Abbie, those actually have a fun story. The main stone is my birthstone, the small coral is the same color as their dresses and the pearl is for our years of cultivated friendship. A bit corny but I like it! :)

#7 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 4,853 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

What a bitter sweat story. The earings turned out beautifully
              Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users