Photo

Translate STDs or not?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 calyx6

calyx6
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

Has anyone here dealt with sending Save The Dates to a place where they don't do them? I have a lot of family in France and the notion of STDs has not reached over there yet. They normally do announcements first followed by invitations, or they may combine the announcement with the invitation.
    Click the image to open in full size.
    Should I just send my STD as they are in English or translate them and send a French version? If I send them in English, it'll be obvious that this is an American thing that is pretty commonly done here. The language is pretty simple on the card so it'll probably be generally understood. If I send them in French, I'm not sure how they'll be perceived since it's not one of their traditions, but I think it'll be appreciated that they are in French. I am also, originally, from France. At least the magnet (it'll be attached to the bottom of the card right on top of the website address) doesn't have to be changed at all.

-V-
    Tulum - November 3, 2007

#2 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 3,754 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

I sent them in both Spanish and English.... no matter what, people don't get them even if it states SAVE THE DATE!!!

#3 anaderoux

anaderoux
      • 3,220 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

I was so lazy and didn't do them in english.. I sent them to 5 people who don't understand spanish but nevermind hehehehe

#4 gkashmira

gkashmira
        • 1,962 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

I say just pick the majority (more English speakers or more French speakers?) and if need be go ahead and translate it over the phone for them!
          Kashmira & Dan
          Happily married since June 16, 2007
          http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
          Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
          Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#5 Fotini

Fotini
          • 131 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by calyx6
            If I send them in French, I'm not sure how they'll be perceived since it's not one of their traditions, but I think it'll be appreciated that they are in French. I am also, originally, from France. At least the magnet (it'll be attached to the bottom of the card right on top of the website address) doesn't have to be changed at all.

-V-
            i came across a similar problem with family in greece, i didnt send them the STDs, because its just not something they do. but make sure you send out the invites in enough time for them to start planning. I also tried to email cousins my website, to start getting the word out to the family when the wedding is going to be.. And just make sure you get invites in french

#6 calyx6

calyx6
            • 160 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

I think I'll send them as is and even if they don't have a clue, at least the website address will be there. The formal invitations will be bilingual.

Thank you Gals,

-V-
              Tulum - November 3, 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users