Jump to content


Why is there no website about this?

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 A10CalGal

  • VIP Member
  • 11,403 posts

    Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

    Perhaps you can have a licensed interpreter/translater translate the document & take that with you to your County Recorder's office? Where did you get your marriage license??

    #12 mexicobride

    • Newbie
    • 88 posts

      Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:15 PM

      Originally Posted by A10CALGAL
      Perhaps you can have a licensed interpreter/translater translate the document & take that with you to your County Recorder's office? Where did you get your marriage license??

      The marriage license was all done in Mex. I will check into County Recorder's Office. I have no idea what that is, and the people at City Hall and the Marriage Bureau never mentioned this so I will check into it myself and see if this is the correct avenue. Thanks...

      BTW did you do a legal marriage in Mex?

      #13 Shelley

      • Jr. Member
      • 169 posts

        Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

        Okay, I'm getting more confused as I try to figure this out. Vital Statistics British Columbia says that you don't register your marriage if the ceremony is held in another jurisdiction, you just keep your marriage certificate (in spanish i assume?) as proof of marriage. So what, our marriage is just legally recognized here and we don't need to do anything? The Embassy of Mexico in Canada says that "Some Canadian entities will accept the certificate without any other requirement but others, will request legalization by the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in Mexico." How do I go about presenting my marriage certificate to the Canadian Embassy in Mexico to have it stamped if I don't get the certificate for several months after we return?

        Oh someone must have figured this out already...

        #14 MikkiStreak

        • VIP Member
        • 2,347 posts

          Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

          If an Apostille basically allows someone with authority in the government to translate/authenticate your documents into another language, then wouldn't this be the same department to get your marriage license translated and authenticated once you got back?

          I don't know if this is an official US agency website, but when I google searched translating foreign marriage license for US, this site came up:
          Apostille - Legalisation on Line!
          According to the statment, they translate documents issued by other foreign govenments. Maybe they could provide some information?

          #15 lambert13

          • Member
          • 901 posts

            Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

            The whole legal marriage in a different country is very confusing. Here is what I have found out so far and how I interpret it........

            - If you have a legal ceremony in Mexico you are legally married. Getting legally married in Mexico would be similar to getting married in a different state here in the US. If I got married in Vegas it is still legal in the eyes of New York State. The whole idea of the Apostille seal is to make legal documents acceptable in the nations that participate in the Apostille process. The certificate of marriage you get in Mexico is used for things like name change, social security, legal matters, etc.
            - Our WC (Sandra at Dreams tulum) has implied that the official document we get from the State of Quintana Roo is official and translated into English. In light of what you said though we might have to check on the translation part. I assumed from what she told us that part of the reason it takes so long is due to the translation and Apostille seal.

            Once again, this is what I think I know and as far as I can remember I have been wrong on at least a few occasions so far in my life.

            The city hall here sounds to be about as helpful as yours. I took all my questions right to the New York State Department of Health which oversees marriage licenses and such. Your state government might be more helpful than the people at the city level.

            #16 MikkiStreak

            • VIP Member
            • 2,347 posts

              Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

              That's the other department I would check with: Department of Vital Statistics who oversee the marriage license records.

              Another one I'd check with is the Secretary of State. Since they issue Apostille's, I'd assume they would know what to do once you return to the states.

              You might also want to check the laws for your state (Pennsylvania) too regarding what unions have to be registered. I would think that registering the marriage in your home state is just to make things simpler---- like for tax purposes and such...

              #17 LadyP

              • Sr. Member
              • 3,156 posts

                Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

                OK BREATHE I just spoke to city hall in philadelphia and she said that all you need to do is have it translated and notorized and you are married all over the world. You do not need to file anything except name change information. I hope this helped

                #18 soulmates

                • Member
                • 538 posts

                  Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

                  All I have to do once we get back is take our marriage license to our Probate Court and file it with them for $30.00. Then just file to have my name changed, which is like $19.00. You may want to call your Probate Court for your county and explain to them the situation. That was one of the first things I researched and made sure it was legal in my county and state.

                  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

                  #19 moni79

                  • Newbie
                  • 12 posts

                    Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

                    im sure it varies btwn countries and states, but i know that for me in Ontario Canada, i just have to get my certificate translated by a certified translator and then im good to go


                    How was your wedding!!?! I need a review and pictures! :) Congrats again.

                    #20 evonut

                    • Newbie
                    • 92 posts

                      Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

                      OMG, that's crazy!

                      My fiance and I misunderstood the 3-day residency rule and thought it means 72 hrs. Anyways, to make to story short, we found out we can't legally get married in Mexico because we did not meet the residency requirement. Changing our flight and accommodations was cost-prohibitive so we decided to have a small (4-people) legal ceremony in Vancouver a few months before the big one in Mexico.

                      In hindsight, it turns out this was much better for us. The legal requirements for marriage are much simpler in Canada. Two witnesses instead of four, no blood test, no language translation and authorization issues, etc.

                      And I get to get married twice! :-) A good reason to have two different wedding dresses.

                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users