Jump to content

Photo

Are you religious?


  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#71 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 24,768 posts

    Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

    if you look at it that way, we pay for public school here too! it's all paid for with tax money!

    this is an interesting thread, i'm glad it was started. i know gwen will be exposed to the Catholic church because Paul's family is very involved. and i'm ok with that - i do want her exposed to different religions. like many of you, i don't know how that happens since it's not really a part of my life. but i do worry about them forcing it on her though; not in an intentionally harmful way, but just because they believe so strongly and that's all they know. to them, that is how it is, KWIM? but if i ever see them tell her something she believes in or an opinion she has is wrong then i will have to have a talk with them. that's one of my biggest fears.

    #72 Betsy

    Betsy

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 4,513 posts

      Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

      My brother-in-law is agonostic. We get along great, and he is one of my favorite people to talk religion with. I think he knows more about the bible than I do - his grandpa is a lutheran pastor and he grew up immersed in the church. He just looks at it from the "scientific" point of view. Anyways this is an awesome thread, and the point is I like hearing everyone's different point of views. And I am so glad this thread hasn't turned nasty, what a great group of BDW'rs we are!!!

      #73 CaboBride2010

      CaboBride2010
      • Banned
      • 248 posts

        Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by JulieG
        Actually you are wrong on this. When we pay our property taxes we pay into either the Public school board or the Separate School Board (which includes catholic, French immersion, etc.) If you own property in our country you pay for your kids to go to school through your property taxes. Every city has different taxes and you pay more for Separate school board taxes, not a lot more, but more). If your kids want to go to private school or Montessori, etc.. then you pay the school directly.
        I know that property tax and tax dollars go towards the school boards in Ontario. I just mean that in Ontario we don't pay outright tuition for Catholic school, thats all. It is alot different to pay tax dollars where you dont notice the little bits going towards, compared to getting a bill in the mail that says pay this or else you can't be a part of this school. Sorry not trying to pick a fight, just saying I just meant that we dont pay outright tuition.

        #74 LCBride2007

        LCBride2007

          VIP Member

        • VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

          Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

          that's the same as it is for our public schools - technically we pay for them, it's our tax $$!

          #75 JulieG

          JulieG
          • VIP Member
          • 8,323 posts

            Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by CaboBride2010
            I know that property tax and tax dollars go towards the school boards in Ontario. I just mean that in Ontario we don't pay outright tuition for Catholic school, thats all. It is alot different to pay tax dollars where you dont notice the little bits going towards, compared to getting a bill in the mail that says pay this or else you can't be a part of this school. Sorry not trying to pick a fight, just saying I just meant that we dont pay outright tuition.
            I didn't think you were trying to pick a fight at all, I was just letting you know that we do in fact pay for our schools here :) just not the same way you meant.

            #76 August2010Bride

            August2010Bride
            • Jr. Member
            • 369 posts

              Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

              Well this should be interesting to some...

              I was actually raised Muslim, but am now searching/agnostic. My father is muslim and my mom is christian. My siblings and I all were raised in Islam. However we also celebrated (atleast secularly) Christmas and Easter, as well as Ramadan and Eid. So I'm kind of a religious mut! My Fiance is semi-christian so I've been to church with him a couple times. I know there is a higher-power, but I'm kind of turned off of religion because of all the man made rules...

              It's been hard leaving the religion I was raised, but I would rather leave than be hypocritical. JMHO

              #77 Celina

              Celina
              • Banned
              • 2,811 posts

                Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by TA Maureen
                When I went to mass this weekend I did not go up for Communion because I haven't been to Church regularly which is a sin and I have to go to confession before I can receive the Body of Christ again so I sat in the pew and had TJ in my arms. Well the usher thought I didn't go up because the baby was asleep so he cleared the people from the pew in front of me and brought over the Eucharistic Minister and atlar boy to serve me Communion in my seat. Everyone was looking at me. I was mortified.
                HOLY MOLY Mo - I would have been petrified and mortified too!

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Abbie
                now THAT would be a fun reality show "Confessions from a Confessional"
                HILLARIOUS Abbie - this would be great!

                I put that I am spiritual. I believe in Jesus Christ and God and all that. I like going to Christian church, but DH doesn't like to go. Our daughter was "dedicated to the lord" in the Christian church. I will attend every couple of years or so. Our son was "baptized" in a Catholic church.

                I went to Sunday school when I was a kid - my parents made us go however they never went. They probably just wanted some time alone LOL! I just believe in praying and living a good, honest life. I guess I'm part of "The live a good, honest life and pray whenever you want church". I believe in Karma so I always try to do unto others at all time.

                My father is TOTALLY immersed in his church which is baptist and my sister is the same way with her Catholic church. Needless to say according to them I am going to burn in hell or purgatory because I don't go to church nor do I make my kids go to church.
                "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

                #78 Hartyt509

                Hartyt509
                • Sr. Member
                • 2,262 posts

                  Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

                  At least it'll be warm Celina :-)

                  #79 KristinaM

                  KristinaM
                  • VIP Member
                  • 3,082 posts
                  • Wedding Date:April 18, 2013
                  • Wedding Location:Ocean Blue & Sand, Punta Cana
                  • LocationNew Jersey

                  Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

                  This a great thread girls! I was raised Catholic-- though no one in my family except my grandmother still goes to Church regularly. Ron was raised Protestant but not regularly and he doesn't even remember much. I voted more spiritual then religious because I do believe in god and many of the principles of my religion but I also disagree with soo many things. I choose to practice it in my own way rather than going to church weekly and practicing it how they tell you too.
                  It's funny though we were just talking about this because part of me wants to go back before we have children. I do stronly believe they should be able to make their own choice of their beliefs.. I sort of feel it would help for them to be exposed to it as I was and then make their decision. I guess I'll have to think about it more when the time comes....

                  Ok I started to MQ but theres sooo much!
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009
                  I have my own beliefs and I do disagree (as Carly stated) with many things that the church preaches such as not using birth control and not "condoning" people's sexual orientations (whatever they may be). I do sometimes find it a little close-minded for my tastes but I still believe in a higher power whatever that may be. I believe more in the "church of good karma" as in if you do good then good will come to you and if you do bad then bad things will happen. I feel if you live your life following basic principles such as respect, honesty, etc then that is just fine.
                  Agreed with everything you said Kathy.. sit, stand, kneel, repeat LOL I love the church of good karma idea and definitely agree!!!
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by carly
                  Yeah, I go to church with Matt's family occasionally, but I don't enjoy it. I also feel like a fraud! I never thought of it like that, but that's a great way to put it. And I don't go to communion. For some reason, that would make me feel like a sinner. I guess some part of it can't be worn off! I remember in grade school, we had to go to confession before we were allowed to go to communion, so I just would never go to communion these days.
                  I agree Carly! I do not receive communion on the rare occasions that I go either. I feel like a fraud as well and everyone thinks I'm being silly because I did make my communion and stuff. But i never go!! It's worse to pretend.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by TA Maureen
                  When I went to mass this weekend I did not go up for Communion because I haven't been to Church regularly which is a sin and I have to go to confession before I can receive the Body of Christ again so I sat in the pew and had TJ in my arms. Well the usher thought I didn't go up because the baby was asleep so he cleared the people from the pew in front of me and brought over the Eucharistic Minister and atlar boy to serve me Communion in my seat. Everyone was looking at me. I was mortified.
                  OMG- you poor thing! I would have been mortified too!!

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Abbie
                  i just had to say that im really really happy everyone is being so respectful of everyone else in this thread. maybe im excited and all emotional about going on my honeymoon finally in a couple days, or whatever, but im all smiling inside as i read all your replies and comments to each other.
                  so i just wanted to say, thanks for being so kind to each other! thats why i HEART bdw :)
                  AGREE AGREE AGREE Abbie!!!!! I have never seen religion discussed in a such an open, nice manner without a few snarky remarks at least. Love the BDW girls!!!!
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by katrina
                  "love is my religion. take it or leave it, you don't have to believe it."- ziggy marley
                  love it katrina!

                  Also- I think I missed the MQ for Andrea's but I agree that would make me very uncomfortable and no should feel like they have to contribute to her trip and mission!

                  #80 foxytv

                  foxytv
                  • VIP Member
                  • 7,740 posts

                    Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

                    I voted #2. I am Catholic ... but rarely go to church - at least not in the last few years. There are some things about the Catholic church I just don't agree with anymore. However, I have tried non-denominational churches as well as other religions and Catholicism still holds the most truth for me. Although as I said, there are some things that I don't agree with - but I don't think we have to be 100% in agreement with our church.

                    My DH was raised in a split religion family (mother Protestant/father Catholic) and said it was interesting to grow up that way. He has not practiced religion in forever, but has decided on his own to convert to Catholicism so that we can raise our family in a single faith. That decision means the world to me - especially since he made it on his own. He starts the process in September. And we have decided that we will go to church at least once a month once we have a child in order to bring our children up with a foundation of faith.




                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users