Photo

Anyone have a trick for getting a great deal on a hotel?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

I'm heading to charlotte soon for BD pics. Our photoshoot hotel is already taken care of, but we need a place to stay the night.

I know many tricks for getting cheap airfare, but I don't know if there are better ways to shop for hotels? I've just scanned places with hotels.com and planned to book online through the hotel site. Are there tricks to getting a cheaper room?

We want an attractive place because we plan on taking practice pics the night before. maybe something classy like this The Ascot Inn of Charlotte NC. hehehe

#2 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

I love priceline, not for flights (I'm not that flexible there), but for hotels! But the main time I used it though is when I knew that there was 1 hotel that met teh criteria I put in (star rating and location), so I either got it or I didn't. I knew I wouldn't get stuck at some random hotel I didn't want to be at.

But anyway, you could give that a shot.

#3 FoxyBride

FoxyBride
      • 609 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

I love Priceline for hotels too, especially in this economy. Even the busiest hotels have tons of rooms that they need to fill and more and more are using Priceline. I booked a 3.5 star in Cleveland for $40/night. When I checked in there was a lady in front of me asking for rates and the desk clerk told her $120/night.

#4 Ginalyn

Ginalyn
        • 2,754 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

I recommend Priceline too! You have a better chance of "winning" on a lower bid if you wait until about a week before you go to Charlotte. I once got my parents a hotel room just outside of Washington DC for $60/night...and it was 4-star!

#5 Scott-Pierre

Scott-Pierre
          • 456 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hotwire.com is also a great site. You don't know the name of the hotel until after you book, but you can pick the star rating. I have never been disappointed, and I have used them several times. I have gotten 4-star hotels for less than $70 a night.

#6 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

If it doesn't scare you to wait until the day you arrive, some people say that you get the best rates at the last minute when there are vacancies yet to be filled. Since it is only one night it may work out for you.

#7 ddiinnyyeell

ddiinnyyeell
              • 226 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

kayak.com will compare some of the discount sites for you. i used it for aventura spa palace and saved $18 a night. (it's not a huge amount but every bit counts, right?)
                Danielle & John
                Aventura Spa Palace
                October 30, 2009

Wedding Photos By Bella Luce Photography

#8 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
                • Vendor
                • 2,782 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by starchild
                  If it doesn't scare you to wait until the day you arrive, some people say that you get the best rates at the last minute when there are vacancies yet to be filled. Since it is only one night it may work out for you.
                  That's what I usually do and sometime the rates can be amazingly low. I remember getting a 5-Star hotel in Thailand for $50/night. I thought they were joking,when they first told me the rate :)

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

thanks everyone for the advice. my trip was this past weekend, but I'll try these tips next time I need a room.

I used hotels.com to search & booked through the hotel. The only good deal I managed to get was vallet parking for $10 when regular parking is usually $18. It was nice having vallet because I packed a ton of stuff.

#10 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
                    • Vendor
                    • 2,782 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Oh, I completely forgot. See if you can slip an extra $20 to the front desk agent,along with the documents and while asking for a free upgrade. It works for a lot of people :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users