Please help if you have Embossed before!

Hi Ladies:

Here is my dilemma in a nut shell. I decided to DIY my invites. I chose a metallic cardstock for the pocketfold portion of the invites. I had special stamps made so that I could emboss on the pocketfold, inserts, and envelope. I've now come to the portion where I need to emboss on the metallic cardstock. It's horrible!

First, the powder will barely stick even though I'm using the same pen/ink as on the inserts.

Second, the powder when on the cardstock takes longer to heat so some portions of the image are over heating and rubbing off while the other portion is just right.

third, it looks like crap!

the biggest problem is that the pocketfolds are already created so they are thicker and trying to open up because we have not sealed them yet.

If you've ever embossed on thick, metallic cardstock before do you have any advice or tips? We're doing invites to everyone that already said yes but we're getting married in less than a month and i really want these darn things off my tables!

Thanks!

Are you using a craft heating tool or hair dryer? I used embossing powder and it went really well but I was using a heating tool. I am finished with mine and I am willing to sell it if you need one PM me.

Also there is ink called VersaMark which is supposed to be "stickier" but I used normal stamping ink.

Yeah, I would suggest trying a different ink. When you use the metallic paper, it can be a little trickier than normal paper. If I were you, call Paper Source (even if there is not one near you, just call one) and ask their advice. The people there are very knowledgable about these things and very helpful too. Versamagic and brilliance ink pads are ones that they carry other than Color Box that might be helpful.

hi san fran sarah, i actually did use a Versamark marker part of the time because it seemed to work better than just using the ink pad. I think i might run to Jo-Ann's today to try to find a Versamark ink pad. I have a special embossing tool because I read that hair dryers didn't work. Thanks for the advice. I hope you have a beautiful wedding in five days :)

Ok... I emboss on cards, clay pots, everything. So a few questions that might help you.

1. Are you using a colored embossing power or want a clear embossed look? Then use a colorless watermark inkpad like versaink.

2. When on metalic cardstock, it is really important to use a craft heat tool because your hairdryer is not a focused consistent enough heat source.

Send me pics of what happened and I might be able to help more.

Hope it all works out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetjamaicabride View Post
Ok... I emboss on cards, clay pots, everything. So a few questions that might help you.

1. Are you using a colored embossing power or want a clear embossed look? Then use a colorless watermark inkpad like versaink.

2. When on metalic cardstock, it is really important to use a craft heat tool because your hairdryer is not a focused consistent enough heat source.

Send me pics of what happened and I might be able to help more.

Hope it all works out!
I don't a picture now because i just tried to finish them all yesterday. one of my of my big problems was that the embossing powder was taking so long to melt that it caused problems on the inside of the pocketfolds. some of the black that we embossed on the inside was rubbing off on the pocketfold section of the invites! also i think the powder over melted because it came out looking not quite sparkly like the powder is but a dark black instead.

i am planning on embossing the metallic outer envelopes as well but after the stress and disaster of trying to do the pocket folds yesterday i might just scrap that idea.

i'm sad because i think our invites look like poo now.

We are usually our own worst critic. THe only thing I can think of is that if the pocket was already doubled up it might have effected the heating. Also, black embossing powder is the hardest to work with because it is really easy to over heat it because you don't see the change as fast. I am sure that your guests will love them. Send a pic so we can ooo and ahh