Photo

Costa Rica Anniversary Trip???

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 nylalany

nylalany
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Ask.CostaRica - thanks for the car service tip! Hopefully they'll take us even earlier if we want. I'll give them a call when I get to Costa Rica, if I can. I do speak Spanish, but not well, and my written Spanish is better - I hope they speak English too haha.

#32 FLgator

FLgator
    • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Ask.Costarica- I just wanted to thank you for all of the advice, just seeing your answers to other girl's questions has helped a lot with our planning! Your knowledge of every town amazes me, I don't even know my own state that well (Florida), let alone my country!

#33 FLgator

FLgator
      • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Ask.CR- Can you suggest the best moderately priced hotels in Monteverde and Arenal? Unfortunately, we have to sacrifice some luxury, in order to enjoy CR longer. Thanks!

#34 Ask.CostaRica

Ask.CostaRica
        • 223 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

FLgator, Good to hear this helps, just want everyone to have the best experience in CR. Here to help, just let me know.

#35 Ask.CostaRica

Ask.CostaRica
          • 223 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

FLgator,

Try Los Jardines or Finca Valverde, both near town and restaurants, cute & charming. Pay in cash and skip the taxes (23%) and haggle a little, this year everyone is open. I just spent 3 nites in Selva Verde Sarapiqui usually over $100 and got it for $60 with all meals.
            Don't do the Monteverde National Park nite walk, do the Finca Ecologica nite walk. For a romantic dinner, Sapo Dorado (a little pricey). On the way to Monteverde stop and have brkfst or lunch at the Caballo Blanco (you'll see signs on the way, on the right, one km ahead when you see "Cuenca 2kms" as soon as the road opens up.

#36 Ask.CostaRica

Ask.CostaRica
            • 223 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

FLgator,

For Arenal, stay next to Vagabondo restaurant, clean cabins, real budget ($30), just outside of La Fortuna. Sorry, I don't remember the name, stop by. Keep in mind that any place you decide will be willing to negotiate price. Be ready to walk away. I love Lomas del Volcan for a mid-range. It is quiet and away from the road. Pay in cash and skip taxes. Haggle, haggle.

#37 Ask.CostaRica

Ask.CostaRica
              • 223 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

nylalany,

Here's what you say. "Un Taxi por favor para el aeropuerto a las cinco de la madrugada" saliendo del hotel Beacon". They speak basic english. They'll take you at any time. Call the nite before.

#38 FLgator

FLgator
                • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Ask.CostaRica
                  FLgator,

For Arenal, stay next to Vagabondo restaurant, clean cabins, real budget ($30), just outside of La Fortuna. Sorry, I don't remember the name, stop by. Keep in mind that any place you decide will be willing to negotiate price. Be ready to walk away. I love Lomas del Volcan for a mid-range. It is quiet and away from the road. Pay in cash and skip taxes. Haggle, haggle.
                  Thanks for all the recommendations...I will definitely check them all out! The Vagabondo Hotel is a great deal! We weren't planning on getting a hotel this cheap in this area, but it will allow us to do a lot more and the hotel itself looks pretty nice. Now we can splurge on luxury in another town. Thanks so much!

Here is the link for the Vagabondo Hotel and Pizzeria near Arenal for those budget travelers...Vagabondo - Arenal Volcano Costa Rica Pizza and inexpensive lodging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users