Dreams La Romana

Originally Posted by dcairns View Post

To former brides

How long did the whole cermony take?? Including Unity Candle / Sand Ceremony.

Was it winding at the gazebo?? (thinking for our unity candle)

thanks in advance!

Hi Dana,

My ceremony was about 20 minutes long...like hermosahoops, I also put together my script from various examples! There is a section on BDW where people post their scripts so I just took from them what I thought applied to me and that was my script cheesy.gif

As I mentioned before, if anyone wants the script pls lemme kno and I will post it here!

xoxo

Hey Bee,

Thanks for putting up your playlists. This is a big item on my TO DO list and having your suggestions will be a big help.

I would love to see your ceremony script. Mine is pretty short, about 5 minutes when read out loud. My attention span at weddings is always really short so I assume my guests would think the same. I might borrow somethings from yours though, if I like them.

I'm going to post mine below so people can read it if they want, otherwise feel free to skip the post. :)

Hello Girls,

I would really appreciate it if you could post your scripts, that is where I am stuck right now ... I'm searching the net and trying to put one together, just not sure how long I should make it so that it would be easy for Elke to read.

Thanks in advance! bunny_4.gif

My FI is a super private person so he asked I don't post his name on here, so he is Monkey and I am Mongoose. :)

On behalf of Monkey and Mongoose, I would like to welcome you and thank you for coming to participate in this exciting event.

Those of you who have been invited here to witness Monkey and Mongooseâ€s wedding ceremony and to celebrate with them here today will play your part in their marriage too. A marriage needs the help of a community, of friends and family who will be there when needed and will do all that they can during hard times to stand by Monkey and Mongoose and offer their support to them and the new family that they will create. May you always do all within your power to support the union that will be made here today and to nurture the bond between these two people whom you love.

This ceremony is not magic; it will not create a relationship that does not already exist and has not already been celebrated in all the commitments Monkey and Mongoose have made to each other, both large and small, in the days since they first met and recognized their connection to one another. This ceremony is a symbol of how far they have come together and a symbol of the promise that they will make to each other to continue to live their lives together and to love each other solely and above all others.

Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. Those that truly love, have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.

Mongoose and Monkey, the vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things weâ€ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.†Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this - is my husband, this - is my wife.

Say vows

Please repeat after me

I, Monkey, take you Mongoose, my best friend, to be my faithful partner and my wife. I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of need, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sadness, in times of failure and in times of success. I promise to cherish and respect you, to care for and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and to faithfully stay with you, for the rest of my life. 

I, Mongoose, take you, Monkey, my best friend, to be my faithful partner and my husband. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, care for you and protect you, be open with you and listen to you. I give you my promise to love you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the barriers we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and all of my love, from this day forward for as long as I shall live.

Mongoose and Monkey, the promises which you have spoken to each other today are inscribed forever in your minds and in your hearts. But words are fleeting and so those who marry wear rings as visible, tangible symbols of their commitment and of their emotional and spiritual connection.

They are a reminder and a celebration of the promises you have made today, and you give these rings to each other as a symbol of your unending bond.

Please now exchange the rings you have brought.

No one but you can declare yourselves married. You have begun it here today in speaking your vows before your family and friends and you will do it again in the days and years to come, standing by each other, sharing all the sweet and the bitter of life. Each tender act, each loving word will be the declaration of what was made here today.

We have all gathered here and witnessed the celebration of love that Mongoose and Monkey have shown and the commitment that they have made to each other. This marriage is not an end of their existing relationship and neither is it a beginning, but rather it is an important step along a path which continues into the future, and it is a step which Monkey and Mongoose are taking with a clear understanding of the commitment and resolution that the path requires and with confidence, trust and love.

May your intention and your commitment to each other remain strong and may the foundation of your relationship be love, communication, and the best interests of each other.

Go forward in your life together with the good wishes of those who love you. Remember this day, those who came to wish you well, the words you have spoken, the emotions you feel and the love you have declared. And above all, be happy.

It is now my honor to present you for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Monkey

Monkey, you may kiss your bride.

Ewa, as I mentioned earlier, I got my all the parts to my script from BDW ...go to:  General Wedding Planning Information  â€º  Wedding Etiquette, Traditions, to dos  â€º  Share your ceremony script!

I personally didnt like what I found on the internet....

Here is what I ended up with:

Opening

As we are surrounded by the presence of the sun and sea, on behalf of Cosmin and Bianca, I welcome you and thank you all for gathering here on this beautiful day to witness their marriage ceremony. The fact that you all have traveled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have. Many of you have given them much happiness, love, warmth, and guidance through the various stages of their lives. They would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate this joyous day.

A special and respectful acknowledgement must also be made to their parents for the wonderful lives they have given them; for the hard work and guidance they have provided; and for their everlasting love, support, and encouragement. It is from them that they have learned the true meaning of love, friendship and family.

Now Iâ€d like to respectfully ask:  Who gives this beautiful woman to be married to this fine man?

Father: I do!

Ceremony:

For Cosmin and Bianca, marriage is an undying commitment as well as a spiritual, emotional, and intellectual bond between two people. It is created from the purest of friendship, respect and love.

Marriage is an adventure in the most intimate of human relationships. It is the mutual commitment of two people sincerely in love who share the same dreams about life. But more than that, it is the intimate sharing of two lives. It is a sharing that does not diminish but enhances the individuality of each partner.

The marriage between Cosmin and Bianca does not mark the beginning of a new relationship; rather, it is an acknowledgement and celebration, of a relationship that has been flourishing since they met.

Love, for Cosmin and Bianca is the longing two people feel for one another. It is the need to share, in body and spirit, the warmth, serenity and peace two people can give one another. A simple touch, a hand held at a time of uncertainty. This is what it means to be intimately human. It is the intention behind the kiss that says, “Despite the vastness of this earth, despite the chaotic details that make up our lives, despite the hundreds of people we will meet in our travels, you are mine and I am yours forever.â€

Love is also lifeâ€s highest emotion. It makes us less selfish, it makes our personalities grow, and it makes our lives more meaningful. It is caring about the welfare and happiness of your partner as your own. Love makes burdens lighter because you divide them. It makes joys more intense because you share them. And it makes you stronger so you can reach out and become involved with life in ways you dared not risk alone.

However, a successful relationship takes more than just love. It takes trust, to know in your hearts that you want only the best for each other. It takes dedication, to stay open to one another, to learn and grow, even when it is difficult to do so. And it takes faith, to go forward together without knowing what the future holds for you both.

You have chosen to walk through life together. There is no truer statement of love. The choice was not made by any one moment, but by being together you grew to realize that you belonged together and that you fulfilled each otherâ€s needs. You have come to thrive upon each otherâ€s presence, loyalty and wisdom. The foundation of your love is profound friendship. A friendship you have nurtured until at last you realized that you wanted to be together always. The commitment you make today will be the foundation on which you will build your life together.

Marriage Vows

Cosmin and Bianca, would you please look into each otherâ€s eyes and join your hands.

Cosmin, do you take Bianca, to be your wife? Do you promise to love her, respect her and care for her, under all conditions and circumstances of life and to be a faithful husband to her for the rest of your lives together?

(I DO)

Cosmin, as I say these words, would you please repeat after me…

I Cosmin, take you, Bianca, to be my wife.

Bianca, I love you; You are my best friend.

Today I give myself to you in marriage.

I promise to encourage and inspire you,

To laugh with you, and to comfort you

In times of sorrow and struggle.

I promise to love you in good times and in bad,

When life seems easy and when it seems hard,

When our love is simple, and when it is an effort.

I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard.

These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.

I am forever yours……faithfully.

Bianca, do you take Cosmin, to be your husband? Do you promise to love him, respect him and care for him, under all conditions and circumstances of life and to be a faithful wife to him for the rest of your lives together?

(I DO)

Bianca as I say these words, would you please repeat after me…

I Bianca, take you Cosmin to be my husband.

Cosmin I love you; You are my best friend.

Today I give myself to you in marriage.

I promise to encourage and inspire you,

To laugh with you, and to comfort you

In times of sorrow and struggle.

I promise to love you in good times and in bad,

When life seems easy and when it seems hard,

When our love is simple, and when it is an effort.

I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard.

These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.

I am forever yours……faithfully.

Exchanging of Rings

Cosmin and Bianca, your rings represent your intent to honor and treasure the vows you have made today.

The wedding ring is a symbol of the unbroken circle of love; it has neither a beginning nor an end. And today, Cosmin and Bianca give and receive these rings as demonstrations of their vows to make their lives one; to work at all times to create a life that is whole and unbroken and to love each other without end. These rings mark the beginning of a long journey together; wear them proudly as they are symbols which speak of love that you have for each other.

Cosmin, as you place this ring on Biancaâ€s finger, please repeat after me:

“I begin my life with you today

knowing that we have developed a trust and commitment

that is strong enough to last through good times and bad.

With this ring, I offer you my hand, my heart and my soul

As I know they will be safe with you.â€

Bianca, as you place this ring on Cosminâ€s finger, please repeat after me:

“I begin my life with you today

knowing that we have developed a trust and commitment

that is strong enough to last through good times and bad.

With this ring, I offer you my hand, my heart and my soul

As I know they will be safe with you.â€

Bianca and Cosmin, believe and trust that the words you have spoken have the capacity to create the marriage, family and life of your dreams, and that the rings you have exchanged will have the power to return you to your vows.

Sand Ceremony

As you stand beside the ocean tide, may your love always be as constant as these never-ending waves, flowing endlessly from the depths of the sea; Your love came softly upon each others heart, just as the foam comes softly upon the sand, and just as there will never be a morning without the ocean's flow, so there will never be a day without love for each other. On this day, you have pledged to one another your love which will be as dependable as the tide; as these waters nourish the earth and sustain life, may your constant devotion nourish and sustain you until the end of time.

Bianca and Cosmin, you have just sealed your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings. Today, this relationship is symbolized through the pouring of these two individual containers of sand, one representing you Bianca and all that you were, all that you are, and all that you will ever be, and the other representing you, Cosmin and all that you were and all that you are, and all that you will ever be.

To symbolize this union and the importance of the individuals within the marriage, two separate colors of sand will be combined. Each one holds its own unique beauty, strength and character. They can stand on their own and be whole, without the need of anything else. However, when these two are blended together they create an entirely new and extraordinary more intricate entity. Each grain of sand brings to the mixture a lasting beauty that forever enriches the combination.

(PAUSE, for the pouring of the sand. Read the following passage as Bianca and Cosmin begin to pour the sand together.)

As these two containers of sand are poured into the third container, the individual containers of sand will no longer exist but will be joined together as one. Cosmin and Bianca, just as these grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so will your marriage be a molding of two individual personalities, bonded together forever, forming one heart, one life, and one family.

Pronouncement

Bianca & Cosmin now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you.

May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years and may happiness be your companion. May you never take each other for granted, but always experience the wonder of your union. May the people you touch in your lifetime know how much you love and care for one another and may you love one another forever.
May all your days and years to come be filled with vision, joy and passion. May the love you now share continue to grow, and may the happiness you bring to each other be a continuing part of your life together. May you continue to laugh often and enjoy each other every day, steadfast in hope and confidence, believing in yourself and believing in each other. May the love you hold for each other, now sealed in marriage, continue to mature with the passing years. And we, who are present today, hope that the inspiration of this moment will never be forgotten.

With friends and family, I have the pleasure of announcing the Shmoopies as husband and wife.
You may now kiss your bride.

Presentation

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my honor to present for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Dumitra!

Ewa,

Dont worry about Elke...shes really good 

She read our script prior to our arrival many times and we met up w/ her a day before the wedding to review any words she was uncertain about. She just circled the ones she was struggling with (which were only a few) and I told her how to pronounce them; she then wrote it down as they sound. She did an amazing job at the wedding ceremony :)

xoxo Bee

Originally Posted by MissTaken View Post

Hello Girls,

I would really appreciate it if you could post your scripts, that is where I am stuck right now ... I'm searching the net and trying to put one together, just not sure how long I should make it so that it would be easy for Elke to read.

Thanks in advance! bunny_4.gif

Originally Posted by Pink_Petals View Post

Ewa,

Dont worry about Elke...shes really good 

She read our script prior to our arrival many times and we met up w/ her a day before the wedding to review any words she was uncertain about. She just circled the ones she was struggling with (which were only a few) and I told her how to pronounce them; she then wrote it down as they sound. She did an amazing job at the wedding ceremony :)

xoxo Bee

Thanks alot Bee for coming back and sharing everything with us, you've been a great help!!! xox

Originally Posted by dcairns View Post

To former brides

How long did the whole cermony take?? Including Unity Candle / Sand Ceremony.

Was it winding at the gazebo?? (thinking for our unity candle)

thanks in advance!

Ours was about 10 mins.  it was a little windy here or there, only had to get my veil out of my face once or twice.  dont know if the candle will stay lit, thats why we did the sand ceremony instead

here's our script as well

Good Afternoon,

We gathered here today in the presence of friends and family, to celebrate the love that Groom and Bride have for each other, to give social recognition to their decision to commit their lives and accept each other completely, to learn how to help and understand each other, to build a family together, and to travel through life.

On behalf of Bride and Groom, I welcome you and thank you all for gathering here on this beautiful day to witness their marriage ceremony. The fact that you all have travelled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have. Many of you have given them much happiness, love, warmth, and guidance through the various stages of their lives. They would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate their big day. A special and respectful acknowledgement must also be made to those friends and family members who were unable to attend, or have passed on, but whose spirit remains alive and strong in all our hearts.

The Bible teaches us that Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.

If any of you has anything to say that might change their minds… they… donâ€t want to hear it. However, they do want to hear from you that you are their village, that you will always be their friends, and will always support and encourage them as they discover the commitment and dedication needed to make marriage work. And that is why you are here today, and they thank you for your friendship and your love.

HAND CEREMONY

Bride, please hold Groomâ€s hands palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will comfort you in illness and hold you when fear or grief fills you.

These are the hands that will give you support and celebrate with you in your accomplishments.

And these are the hands that when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

Groom., take a look at the position of your hands with Brideâ€s and know that this is the last time that you will have the “upper hand.â€

Groom would you please hold Brideâ€s hands palms up so you may see the gift that they are to you.

These are the hands of your best friend, smooth, young and carefree, as she promises to passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.

These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.

These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick, or console you when you are grieving.

And these are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.

Vows

Bride, as I say these words, would you please repeat after me…

I love you, Groom. You are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle.

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life. I am forever yours……faithfully.

Groom as I say these words, would you please repeat after me…

I love you, Bride, You too are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle.

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life. I am forever yours……faithfully.

The Rings

Groom as you place this ring on Brideâ€s finger please repeat after me…

Bride, I give you this ring, as a sign of our marriage, and a lasting reminder, of the vows made between us today. I give you this ring, as a reminder that I will love, honor, and cherish you, in all times, in all places, and in all ways, forever.

Bride, if you accept please say “I Doâ€.

Bride as you place this ring on Groomâ€s finger, please repeat after me…

Groom, I give you this ring, as a sign of our marriage, and a lasting reminder, of the vows made between us today. I give you this ring, as a reminder that I will love, honor, and cherish you, in all times, in all places, and in all ways, forever.

Groom, if you except, please say “I Doâ€.

Engagement Ring

The engagement ring is a symbol of promise and intention. Now the intention is realized and the promise fulfilled. Groom, please place the engagement ring on Brideâ€s finger over her wedding band to symbolize that the love that brought you together will always protect and sustain your marriage.

Sand Ceremony

"Today, this relationship is symbolized through the pouring of these two individual containers of sand one, representing you Bride and all that you were, all that you are, and all that you will ever be, and the other representing you, Groom, and all that you were and all that you are, and all that you will ever be. As these two containers of sand are poured into the third container, the individual containers of sand will no longer exist, but will be joined together as one. Just as these grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so will your marriage be."

Pronouncement

Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to present to you for the very first time Mr. and Mrs. XX XX

Originally Posted by uninspired1979 View Post

Hi Nancy,

We should be arriving at the resort on November 22nd at around 3-4pm, we land at 1:30, and have the long bus ride, so I'm assuming around 3:00pm. Would really like to get together that evening for a drink so you can fill us in on how your wedding was and what we should expect. So exciting, I can't believe that it's our turn next. Before you go we should choose a spot where we can meet in the evening.

Makeup- Couldn't get too a MAC this week and really needed mascara, so I bought Mabelline Falsies mascara at my local drugstore, just needed something to hold me over. I already have long lashes, but this made them crazy long, like I was wearing fake eyelashes. What I really like about it is that it doesn't dry fast so you had the opportunity to put a few coats on without rushing, big plus. I might try to do a combo, Mabelline to lengthen, than the MAC to thicken, will see if it works:)

We are getting marrried on Saturday the 27th. It is so nice of you to offer to leave me your decorations, but our colors are totally different, ours are Turquoise and Purple:( If you were really just planning on trashing everything maybe when we meet up you can show me what you have left and I can see if I can use anything. I might be able to use a few Fuchsia things for an extra pop of color.

This week I really can't believe that it is so close now. FI and I really need to buckle down and start getting ourselves organized. I hate to admit, but I haven't taken my dress to the seamstress yet, well I did a few months back, but I was hoping to gain some weight so I didn't leave it to get done (yes I said gain, you will see when we meet I am insanely petite). But yes, it will all get done, even if I have to corral every last person I know and bribe them to help, lol.

Happy planning Nancy, I really do look forward to meeting you and your soon to be hubby!

Hi uninspired1979,

What do you think about meeting in the lobby area on the 22nd?  I really don't know too much about the resort to pick a good spot to meet.  We have no set plans once our guests have gone home, so we're free anytime.  Let me know what time you'd like to meet, or if you know of a specific area, we can meet there.  I too am really looking forward to meeting you and your future husband.  And, absolutely, if there is anything I have from the decorations that you can potentially use, feel free to take them.  The less stuff I have to bring back with me, the better.

Less than 3 weeks for us and we're at DLR!  Wow is this coming up quickly!!!!!

Nancy

Originally Posted by hermosahoops View Post

Hi Ladies,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and haven't posted anything in the last couple weeks so I thought I would pop in and say hi! I've been super busy with wedding stuff lately but I'm so excited to be leaving for DLR in just a couple short weeks!

I can't believe the time has flown by! We'll be at the resort from Nov. 5th - 15th so Nancy, if you'd like to meet for a drink, I'd love to let you know what was great about our wedding and what didn't work.

Uninspired, my colors are turqoise and purple as well! Our party is super small though (12 people) so we aren't really doing decorations, otherwise I'd leave my things for you.

I've been working on my OOT bags every night after work and am going to post a planning thread hopefully soon. I'd recommend posting it in the planning section which is under "Tell us your wedding/engagemet story!". http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/list/128

I sent off our ceremony script to Elke last week. Of course now my FI says he want's to write his own vows so I'll have to send another one to her. :) At least he's getting involved...

I assembled my script from various examples on the internet and it is non-religious. If anyone wants to see it I can post it here, but I won't take up the space if people don't need the help.

Where has the time gone?? I can't believe it is all happening so soon!

Hi hermosahoops,

I cannot believe your wedding is next!!!!!  My fiancé and I would love to meet with you and your new husband before you go home.  We'll be arriving around dinner time on the 11th, and with my 2 little ones in tow, I'd say that night will be a write off.  The 12th we have our meeting with Yanna in the morning, so maybe that afternoon or that evening, I could have my parents watch the boys for us and we could meet up for a little while, have a drink or a few, and you could tell us how your big day went. Let me know what works for you guys and we can take it from there.  Can't wait! 

Read your script, "Mongoose" - great job!

I am having such a blast with this forum, and can't believe that I will actually get to meet some of you when we're at DLR.  This really has become my lifeline during all of this planning...I only wish I could meet more of you! 

Nancy

Originally Posted by Pink_Petals View Post

Hi Nancy,

Sorry I cant answer the DJ questions for you as Im not familiar with the DJ services but I see that dolfinluck answered them for you :)

The way I did it is I got a Grooveshark account where I downloaded my music into different folders depending on the occasion (dinner music, first dance song, etc)...I did this off the computer! I then got the grooveshark application on my iPhone and immediately all of the folders with the music appeared on my phone. I simply made them available offline and then all my friend had to do was hook up his equipment to my iphone and then select the different folders whenever it was appropriate. In return for his services, I bought him 4 nice shirts when we got back in Toronto cheesy.gif

Thanks Bee,

Again, you've provided me with tons of info and insight...the music lists you put on here are going to help alot. 

I also read your script too...have a feeling I will be "stealing" bits and parts from it to add to ours that I've been working on for a little while.  Thanks for the reassurance about Elke...so glad we're having her do our ceremony.  By all accounts, she is really good and I can't wait to meet her.

Hope each and everyone of you has a wonderful weekend! 

Nancy

xo

Thanks for the responses!  I love the sand ceremony, but my best friend is greek and traditionally there is a candle (as well as in my traditions) I'm going to probably stick with it and hope its not windy lol... we will see.

here is the "in the works" ceremony script that we are working on with Pastor Rick:

Cairns- Sonmor Ceremony

April 11, 2011

Dreams La Romana Resort

Time-TBA

I.            Welcome Words

Welcome! Good afternoon. We are gathered here today in the presence of family and friends, to celebrate one of lifeâ€s greatest moments. We are here to give recognition to the worth and beauty of love, and to add our best wishes and blessings to the words that will unite Dana and Jody in Holy Matrimony.

II.         Everyone please be seated – Opening

On behalf of Dana and Jody, I welcome you and thank you all for gathering here on this beautiful day to witness their marriage ceremony. The fact that you all have travelled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have. Many of you have imparted them much happiness, love, warmth, and guidance through the various stages of their lives. They would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate their big day. A special and respectful acknowledgement must also be made to those friends and family members who were unable to attend, or have passed on, but whose spirit remains alive and strong in all our hearts.

As much as today it is a celebration of Dana and Jody ´s marriage, it is also a celebration of their love. Their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife.

For them, this marriage is both a pledge of enduring love, and an expression of their commitment to each other. For the rest of us, this marriage is an occasion where we are reminded of the bonds to our own families and friends and how important and wonderful these bonds are to us.

Marriage is the most important of all earthly relationships. It should be entered into thoughtfully and with full understanding of its sacred nature. Itâ€s fragile because it requires exactly the right mix of freedom, creating an atmosphere of care, consideration, and respect, and by a willingness to face the tensions and anxieties, that are a natural part of human life. As with any aspect of life, it has its cycles, its ups and downs, its trials and triumphs. It will take faith, to go forward together without knowing exactly what the future brings. It will take commitment, to hold true to the journey you both promised today to share together. Remember that this marriage ceremony is only a symbol, a celebration, a public recognition of what already exists in the silent places of your hearts. This is your marriage to define, yours to make real, yours to live.

Deep abiding affection, the magical and compelling shared impulse that makes us seek each otherâ€s company, is among the greatest gifts of the human experience. Any of us who has been fortunate enough to find and express the kind of loving devotion that we are celebrating here today knows that it is an awesome and beautiful thing.

The marriage between Dana and Jody does not mark the beginning of a new relationship; rather, it is an acknowledgement and celebration, of a relationship that has been flourishing since they met.

First Corinthians 13 reading (optional)

Handfasting: In handfasting, the wrists of the couple are bound together with a ribbon or cord. Each partner holds the hands of the other---right hand to right hand, left hand to left---their wrists crossed. The ribbon is wound around the wrists over the top of one and under and around the other, thus creating the infinity symbol. It is said that this ritual is the origin of the term “tying the knot.â€

"THESE ARE THE HANDS" –author unknown

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you.

These are the hands that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever. 

These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future. 

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. 

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief wracks your mind. 

These are hands that will countless times wipe tears from your eyes, tears of joy and tears of sorrow. 

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children. 

These are the hands that will help hold your family together as one. 

These are hands that will give you strength when you need it. 

These are the hands that even when wrinkled with age will still be reaching for yours, still giving the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

These are the hands.

This understanding brings me to the first of three suggestions I will offer to Dana and Jody:

• Be constantly grateful for the presence of this person who has chosen to make a life with you.

• Second: Make each other the recipient of daily kindness. The world can be a tough place and any of us can be subject to rough handling. Be generous with compliments. Be attentive and helpful. Each of you can, by your tenderness toward each other. Kind words and thoughtful actions. Make your marriage and your home an uplifting refuge.

• Last, but perhaps most importantly, Make truth the unfailing bedrock of your lives together. A happy, loving marriage is built on trust and respect. That trust and respect can only be sustained if you are both deeply committed to always being open and truthful in every exchange no matter how small.

My hope for you is this; that you have many long years to delight in each otherâ€s company. To feel gratitude for your great good fortune in having found and loved each other, to make a home together that is at once sheltering and welcoming. To each do meaningful productive work at home and in the world. To love and be loved by the friends and family who have come here today to support you.

III.       Group Declaration of support

Now, I ask that the wedding party to acknowledge Dana and Jody, and know that youâ€ve been asked to stand here not only as witnesses.  You are now considered family and by being part of this ceremony, a bond has been created that will last and will be as sacred as their marriage. They will look to you for support and friendship, and be there for any obstacles they may face.  Do you acknowledge this honour?

Wedding Party: WE DO

Now, I ask that these friends & family stand, and that you turn and acknowledge them, as they acknowledge you.

(Audience Stands)

As family and friends, you form a community of support that surrounds Dana and Jody. Each of you, by your presence here today is being called upon to uphold them in loving each other. Always stand beside them, never between them. Offer them your love and your support, not your judgment. Encourage them when encouragement is needed and listen to them when they ask for advice. In these ways, you can honour this marriage into which they have come to be joined today. Do you offer your love & support to strengthen their marriage & bless this family created by their union?

Please answer by saying: WE DO

Guests: WE DO

Thank you, you may be seated.

IV.        Marriage statement of intent/consent

Dana and Jody ,do you, with family and friends as your witnesses, present yourselves willingly and of your own accord to be joined in marriage?

Dana and Jody:   WE DO

Do you promise to care for each other in the joys and sorrows of life, come what may, and to share the responsibility for growth and enrichment of your life together?

Dana and Jody:  WE DO

Wedding Vows

Pastor York -- Do you, Jody Sonmor, standing in the presence of God and these witnesses, solemnly pledge your faith and love to Dana Cairns? Do you promise to live with her according to God's ordinance in the holy estate of matrimony; do you promise to love her, comfort her, honour, and keep her, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto her, and through God's grace to promise to be to her a faithful and devoted husband as long as you both shall live?
Groom -- I do.

Do you, Dana Cairns, standing in the presence of God and these witnesses, solemnly pledge your faith and love to Jody Sonmor? Do you promise to live with him according to God's ordinance in the holy estate of matrimony; do you promise to love him, comfort him, honour, and keep him, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto him, and through God's grace to promise to be to him a faithful and devoted wife as long as you both shall live?

Bride:  I do

V.           Ring Exchange

For thousands of years, lovers have exchanged rings as a token of their vows. These rings represent your gifts to each other as you wear them through the years. They will collect their nicks and scratches.  Take on their own personalities much like both of you will. They may get a little scarred on the outside as you might too. But during many of those times, notice if you take your ring off and you look on the inside of the band and it is perfect, shiny and brand new and so may it be with your love of each other.

Jody: in placing this ring on Dana ´s finger, repeat after me:

I, Jody, take you, Dana, to be my wife.

My partner in life and my one true love.

I will cherish our friendship
and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.

I will trust you and respect you,
I will laugh with you and cry with you.

I will love you faithfully and unconditionally
through the best and the worst, the difficult and the easy.

Whatever may come, I promise I will always be there for you.

Regardless of the obstacles we may face together.

I give you this ring as a symbol of my love.

As it encircles your finger,

May it remind you always that you are surrounded by my enduring love.

Danaâ€s Response: I will wear it gladly and whenever I look at it, I will remember this joyous day and the vows we've made.

Dana, in placing this ring on Jodyâ€s finger, repeat after me:

I, Dana, take you, Jody, to be my husband

My partner in life and my one true love.

I will cherish our friendship
and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.

I will trust you and respect you,
I will laugh with you and cry with you.

I will love you faithfully and unconditionally
through the best and the worst, the difficult and the easy.

Whatever may come, I promise I will always be there for you

Regardless of the obstacles we may face together.

I give you this ring as a symbol of my love.

As it encircles your finger,

May it remind you always that you are surrounded by my enduring love.

Jodyâ€s Response: I will wear it gladly and whenever I look at it, I will remember this joyous day and the vows we've made.

"The Art of a Good Marriage" – by Wilferd Arlan Peterson

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens.
A good marriage must be created.
In marriage the little things are the big things.
It is never being too old to hold hands.
It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.
It is never going to sleep angry.
It is at no time taking the other for granted;
the courtship should not end
with the honeymoon, it should continue through the years.
It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
It is standing together facing the world.
It is forming a circle of love that gathers the whole family.
It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice,
but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation
and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
It is not looking for perfection in each other.
It is cultivating flexibility, patience,
understanding and a sense of humour.
It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow old.
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal,
dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.
It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

Unity Candle Ceremony:

"Dana  and Jody are going to light their wedding/unity candle, as a symbol of their marriage. The candles from which they light it represent each of them in the fullness of your different lives.. Each candle represents the separate journeys you once were on. They also represent your own sets of friends and families that once were apart. I will ask that in a moment that you both light the unity candle... representing the coming together of your friends and family, through your marriage, into one. And as the flames are blended into one, your once solitary journeys will now be one of companionship, as you walk a single path together into your future.
I now ask that you light the unity candle.

The couple picks up their individual candles and lights the large one together.

As the flames have blended together, your lives are now joined. Your friends and family are as one as well, for now you will share those who are in your lives and will walk hand-in-hand along the path of your marriage -
united and strong as husband and wife.

VI.        Benediction

Jody and Dana, we have heard your promise to share your lives in marriage. We recognize and respect the vows you have made here this day before each one of us as a witness.

May your troubles be less,
And your blessings be more,
And nothing but happiness come through your door.

I conclude the ceremony with:

May the love that has brought you together continue to grow and enrich your lives. May your house be a place of happiness for all who enter there. A place where the old and the young are renewed in each otherâ€s company; a place for growing, a place for music, but most of all… Let it be a place of laughter.

By the authority granted unto me as a Minister of the Gospel of the Church of Christ, I now declare that Jody Sonmor  and Dana Cairns are husband and wife. You may seal your marriage with a kiss.

Jody and Dana, congratulations and may you have many, many years of happiness together!

Itâ€s my pleasure to present to you, for the very first time, this new husband and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Jody and Dana Sonmor.

May God bless you always!