Photo

OOT Bags - Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jurisdr

jurisdr
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

I'm the mother of bride (step-mom). The bride has asked me to plan the wedding. My husband and I will be paying for just about all wedding expenses.

I mentioned OOT bags to bride and while she's not opposed to OOT bags, she doesn't think they're necessary. IMO, guests paid to travel to the wedding (including friends from Australia) thus a nice welcome/thank you letter inside an OOT Goodie Bag should be provided in room for guests.

So the question is whether I should just do the bags and the welcome/thank you letter for the couple and have them placed in the room as if they're from the bride/groom or change the letter to be from parents of bride?

(I don't think bride is offended by me doing the bags, she just doesn't want to take the time to do them and we're in different states so doing them together isn't really an option).
    I'm the Mother (step-mom) of bride.

The bride asked me to plan her wedding w/the help of a WC. Yay!

#2 drtracy

drtracy
    • 436 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Wow! You're one nice step-mom.

I think it would be incredibly sweet of you to make the OOT bags and if you do, you better say they are from the parents of the bride! 1) they are actually from you 2) the bride might get embarrassed is someone says, "oh, thank you for the [insert item]" and she would have no clue 3) you are putting them together and paying for them. If my parents were contributing anything to the bag I would make sure to give them credit.
      If you are sure the bride won't care I'd just tell her that you are going to make something special for the guests to thank them for coming. If she wants to include anything additional from her and the groom then she can do that.

#3 drtracy

drtracy
      • 436 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

whoops, double post

#4 jurisdr

jurisdr
        • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks, drtracy. I don't think she minds as she likes the idea, but I'll be sure to check with her first before I do anything. Fortunately, she pretty easy going and is appreciative of everything. She's really just excited about it being a destination wedding and all else is fine w/her. :-)

#5 H&F

H&F
          • 361 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

Wow! You are a super-mom! That is so thoughtful of you to put them together. I think it's a touching idea to give them as gifts from the "MOB & FOB". Everyone will love them and I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the effort. Good luck!

#6 Jenamie

Jenamie
            • 392 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Can I have you?

hehe all jokeing aside I would say if you did the work they should be from you but maybe let her know and maybe it could be from bride groom and parents and she could add a little note or something

#7 jurisdr

jurisdr
              • 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. We're going have the letter be from FOB & MOB. I checked w/bride and she stated she'd actually prefer it be from us...she also added not to forget bags for kids, lol. We'll be in Cabo in May for a vacation and to meet with WC. We'll pick-up brochures, maps, and other local items to include in the bags at that time. I've also found some great ideas in the OOT threads. Thanks again!! :-)

#8 Jewels33

Jewels33
                • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

I know you already figured out what you're doing, but I just had to comment.....

You are an awesome mom. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have you help with everything and pay for it.

You're a super mom! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users