Cell Phone in Playa del Carmen?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tchuchuca

tchuchuca
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hi there ladies,

Quite a few of our guests are staying at different hotels than we are... does anyone know if we'll get cell coverage in Playa? It might be easier just to give everyone our cell numbers if they have questions instead of having them try to catch us in our rooms...

P.S. FI has T-Mobile coverage and I have a Sprint Palm

Thanks a TON!

#2 sunshinekc08

sunshinekc08
    • 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Yes, you do get cell phone coverage in Playa, BUT here is the catch. Most cell phone companies charge you about $5 a minute

You can add on an international package to your cell phone plan & it will reduce the price to about $2 a minute, but they still charge you an arm & a leg.

I bought cheap walkie talkies & we are having a centralized meeting place & having our TA request all our rooms in the same building.

Hope that helps!

#3 Ayita

Ayita
      • 861 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Cell phones will work. Another alternative is using pre-paid international calling cards. At least only the call recipient will pay some roaming, not the calling person.

Did you know that all French (and most European) cell phone plans DO NOT make you pay when you receive calls (apart if you're abroad) ? I discovered this scam when arriving in the US. I was in shock ! Paying for receiving calls ?

#4 Carolyn

Carolyn
        • 1,235 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

Very true. The phone works but it's like $5 a minute. I did used my phone December of 07 and the bill was like $350 when I came home. I will never use it again when I'm done there!

#5 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
          • 382 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

This is one of the topics I am putting in my pre-travel brochure. Calling your cell company and adding the international plan to your service. The price per minute will still be high, just not as high as it could be. We were told by Cingular/ATT that we could had the international plan and then take it off when we got back.

#6 bumbles

bumbles
            • 574 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

Will text msg work internationally?

#7 Blkatz

Blkatz
              • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

yes you can text but it is like fifty cents per text. That is what we did on vacation

#8 dc22173

dc22173
                • 240 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

If anyone has verizon you just need to call and add the international roaming option. They will then charge you .99 cents per minute for you phone calls.

#9 tchuchuca

tchuchuca
                  • 361 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

You guys are the BEST! Thank you!

#10 blakeslade

blakeslade
                    • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:05 AM

The way we communicated when we were in Cancun was by email. We just told everyone before we got there to check their email in the morning and at night. It worked out pretty well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users