Any other brides for Rose Hall Resort?

terri1225- I am doing the lawn next to the west gazebo for my ceremony. I don't have a picture, but if you look at the website, the first picture it's at the bottom left. It's a great location because it's right on the beach without the sand. It is near the main pool, but if you are doing late afternoon I think you'll be fine. My time is 6:30 so I don't expect too many people to still be at the pool.

Catamaran...who did you book that through? It sounds like fun!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandabride6 View Post
Hey everyone... long time, no talk on here! I did want to shed some insight.

@MrsReed 2 b- I'm glad you were able to find a place off site for you and your guests. I told Yolandi I was having my reception off site too and she asked me where. I don't really think that matters. What matters is making their prices more reasonable so people don't have to look elsewhere, lol.

@tauristar- I also got a quote from Grande Garden. I think I might be going with them since they're less expensive than Tai Flora.

@Everyone: I believe the best advice I could give brides thinking of planning a wedding at RHR would be to be EXTREMELY specific when asking questions. Make sure you know about site fees, set up fees (yes, they're two different things), bar fees, everything!

Don't assume that just because a reception site is on the property, that it's free to hold the reception there. I believe Sugar Mill Fall (the waterpark) is like $2500 for a set up fee. That's not including the cost for a bar, service, etc. Make sure you ask prices for everything.

I just asked about having speakers for the ceremony and was told it's like $193 plus a technician fee... Technician fee? You mean there's a cost to literally plug the speakers in?? Like I said, question everything!
Pandabride: LOL. I had the same reaction to a "technician fee." I work 12 hours a day, three days a week as a RN in a hospital running my butt off and I don't get paid $45/hour. And they want me to pay someone $45/hour to plug a machine in and press play? Ridiculous.

To Those who wanted to know more about Jamaica Elegant Weddings: The way things worked for me was I went on their website and requested a quote for what I wanted. Dawn contacted me the very next day and asked me to list all my desires (include pictures like of decorations or a cake if I had any) and give a budget. After a couple of e-mails back and forth with her asking about what drinks I want for an open bar, menu choices, etc. she produced a quote that was actually LESS than my budget. She does charge a percentage of your total budget for her fees which I think are totally worth it. She's so reassuring in letting me know that I can call her whenever with whatever and that she'll do her best to make my dreams come true. The venue we have right now is at Tropical Beach which is about 10 minutes away from RHR. She can basically find any type of venue, our other option was a place called KoKonutz, which was indoor and looked great from pictures but I thought it was too big for the number of people I'm having. My quote includes round trip transportation for us and our guests. We'll have a cocktail hour (with two stations: fruits and cheese and crackers) outside and then a reception in a wedding tent (she just suggested the wedding tent the other day at no extra cost). I'm very excited. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Question- What type of cake did you ladies decide on? When I say yellow cake they say sponge cake(yikes!). I told them I would like Fondant icing(the smooth icing) and they told me if I want that type of icing a yellow cake could not hold that kind of icing. Therefore either chocolate or almond cake. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikababe View Post
Question- What type of cake did you ladies decide on? When I say yellow cake they say sponge cake(yikes!). I told them I would like Fondant icing(the smooth icing) and they told me if I want that type of icing a yellow cake could not hold that kind of icing. Therefore either chocolate or almond cake. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!
Mikababe, you still have time to save money (you haven't signed your contract for the reception have you?) Check out Jamaica Elegant Weddings or Day O Plantation Resturant. Pandabride introduced Day O and I initially wanted to have my reception there but the date was booked. I am however, having my rehearsal dinner there. The lady (Jennifer) is really easy to work wiht and it's definately a lot cheaper than RHR. If you stick with RHR, concerning the cake, maybe you can say "white" instead of "yellow." A lot of people think it's the same thing. Dunno, good luck!

woah - brides on this thread are just trying to save some money where they can - the hotel is wonderful and no one is saying it isn't, weddings are expensive whereever you go, home or abroad. My husband was born in Jamaica we are both british citizens, his family are in Jamaica and cannot afford to come to the UK, mine can so we have chosen to go to them. Insurance is all dealt with separately via your travel insurance. Things can go wrong anywhere, guests will have a wonderful time regardless because it is your special day. I really don't understand where anyone has caused any offence to you, the hotel or anyone else. "I here the people in Jamaica drive very bad" - what do you mean by this?

Quote:
I am not getting married at the Rose Hall Hilton, I will get married at an all inclusive Hotel, one with a NAME,,,, I will not take chances in going to a Foreign Country that I do not know and going to place to have fun...have you ladies check to see what kind of insurance these places have, NOW if something goes wrong your guest can only blame you. I here the people in Jamaica drive very bad...you all need to look at the other side of the coin and stop talking bad about these Hotels.

From look at through this forum all Hotel charges a venders fee. So these companies that work for the Hotel may have to pay the Hotel some money.

THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE...... AND WHAT YOU DO...... WHERE YOU GO..... WHEN YOU TRAVEL OUTSIDE YOUR ENVIRONMENT

HUHhuh.gif?huh02.gif

Humm... I guess everyone has their opinion and so do I, so I'll say it. Where did this comment come from? This forum is about letting others know to be more informed about what they are potentially paying for. You wouldn't want to go to a venue and be blindsided by cost, would you? I know I wouldn't. That's why I mention things about fees, etc. It's not about talking bad about the hotels... It's just helpful to know what to budget for.

Clearly, we are planning to have our weddings at the hotel so there's nothing wrong with it. We just discuss other options that may be more cost effective too, that's all. You either take it, or you don't.

Just like donutdjn said, anything can happen anywhere. I don't know where the insurance thing came in, so I'll leave that alone.

Yea, so you hear people in Jamaica drive bad. I spent summers growing up in Jamaica and I've seen it first hand. But it ain't anything different from how people drive where I live. Movin' on...

I'm sure we're all aware of things that can happen when we go outside our comfort zone. But that's part of the adventure in it. Enjoying a new experience smartly, safely and with the people we love!

wow... alright then. I chose the Rose Hall because I knew a Hilton had certain standard and I could feel comfortable entertaining guests there.

I for one, have so enjoyed tossing ideas back and forth with you all. You've been my best planning tool.

PS...with flowers, I decided to swap the arch for an aisle of flower petals. I am also doing Chinese lanterns for the receptions! I am really happy to update that I have approx 75 booked, not 125! Dollars saved! I'm guessing we will end up with about 85, rehearsal dinner for everyone...assuming I pick a place!

71 days and counting down!