Sign in to follow this  
YoursTruly

Didn't get my documents on time...what now??

you still have a month left until your wedding. why take such a risk with your nuptials? I would suggest resending the documents via Fedex and if you do overnight international option, it is guaranteed to get there within 3 days. I would not suggest waiting to see. Good luck with everything.

I'm stressed!!

FI sent our documents 1 month ago and didn't send them through registered mail so we can't track them. He called Chantelle at Riu MoBay today and was talking to her. She said she does not have my documents and that if we didn't send them through resitered mail or some kind of expresspost, she probably won't get them until after our wedding. She said it's happened before and that it would take us a lot longer to get our marriage licsence. If that's the only glitch then I'm GREAT with that!!! But then he repeated things so that she could confirm things for us and when he said..."so we can still have a legal ceremony in Jamaica even if you don't have our documents yet?" she said she'd have to check with the minister. So apparently she's going to ask him and get back to us.

has anyone else had this happen to themhuh.gif? Or do you know how this works?? I just need answers and I'm too anxious to wait until she gets back to us. Help calm my nerves please!!

I hope that one works! FI did scan them before he sent them so we sent those to her yesterday. She didn't know if the minister would accept that. Has it really worked in the past?

I don't want to get new documents unless I really have to. It seems silly to spend more $$ on documents if we're going to get our marriage license anyway. I will definately do that if I have to though. Hopefully she can get back to us quickly so that all that is possible.

My resort (Couples) offered an expedited processing of documents but it was an additional $150 plus any charges for shipping.

You could always have a legal ceremony at home before you leave or after you return and just have a symbolic wedding in JA.

I just read about your documents not being received. I feel so badly for you, but try to stay calm & all will work out !! I think the "scan idea" sounds good, I'm not sure why they don't just accept that to begin with. After all, you will have the originals with you when you actually travel down for the wedding, they only need the info for the wedding license application--right ? "Snail mail" seems so archaic, and especially since you are dealing with Canada to Jamaica postal service. Let us know what Chantelle reports back to you. I will be keeping my fingers crossed and think good thoughts for you til you hear......from MOTHER of BRIDE............KAY

Just to update...I contacted my WC and she found out that she didn't need that actual notarized copies until we get there. All she needs is the information on them. So I sent her the scanned copies that we made before we mailed them out and then we just have to arrive at the resort with our notarized copies (which we'll have to get done again now). Everything worked out fine after all!