Attention Skinny Girls!

Sarah

Ok you skinny girls, I need help! I've got to lose some weight for this wedding, and am wondering what you all are doing, or if you didn't need to lose weight, what is you routine that keeps you in shape? I've never been one to exercise, and didn't need to until I went to nursing school. That stress put on about 20 lbs, then I switched to night shift last year and promptly put on another 10. On someone only 5'1", an extra 30lbs is a lot!

I've started doing Body for Life (very old program, similar to South Beach Diet, so I'm told) and exercising but I'm seeing very slow results. I want to lose 25 lbs before the wedding.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the best shape of my life I did Cardio Kick boxing. Awesome workout.. My main goal now is not to loose weight but gain my mucsle back. So I'm running and weight training again. I actually started up yesterday.. I want to be in the ideal shape by the time I start my dress fittings in Feb/March.

Sarah,

I honestly do not think there's any magic way to lose weight if you do so in a healthy manner. I have one friend that followed Body for Life and it seemed like a great program. I think if you lose weight healthily, that you will be more likely to keep it off for longer. Fad diets really just do the job temporarily.

My metabolism completely changed when I turned 25 (yikes... 7 years ago!) and for me to lose the 10-15lbs I tacked on, I had to change my lifestyle completely. I was very disciplined about working out and incorporating weight training AND cardio. I really don't think you can lose a substantial amount of weight wihtout doing BOTH. If I remember the Body for Life my friend did it really incorporates weight training, right?

Then I changed my eating habits. A very healthy breakfast, good lunch and small dinner. One of the tricks I used was trying to have at least 5 servings of healthy fruit and veggies. You'd be surprised how difficult that is, but it helps since then you're cutting out all the fatty sides, etc that you usually have in a meal.

Once I got the discipline down, it became part of my lifestyle. So now eating fast food actually hurts my stomach because I'm not used to it.... therefore I rarely have it, and working out is part of my life.

Right now I'm just really watching what I eat and cutting out the alcohol. So no more wine at night and a beer here and there. Also, I'm doing TONS of cardio along with my regular weight routine.

Are you sure there's not something you're sneaking into your diet? Sweets, alcohol? Are you doing cardio more than 4 times a week for longer than 30 minutes?

Hey Sarah, I am not a skinny girl (but damn I try really hard to be one...haha) I swear I am like a dieting/exercise pro, because I have to do it or else I will turn into a whale. Anyway, here are my tips:

No matter what gimmick is attached to any one diet or exercise plan, the basic premise is that you need to eat less, and burn more.

Try writing down everything you put in your mouth over a few day period. What snacks or extras did you not realize you were eating? Can you cut those out?

Try eating "whole" foods instead of processed foods. They are better for you and filled with less sodium and preservatives, which can make you feel bloated. Eat as many fruits and veggies as you can, and cut out as much processed crap as you can. Also, go for lean proteins and whole grains.

Try fitting in as much activity as you can. Get up 20 mins early and go walking. Or go walking with FI after work or dinner or something.

I joined a local morning "boot camp" program where we work out every morning in the park from 6am to 7am. I don't know if that would fit into your schedule, but maybe try signing up for something that holds you accountable (and kicks your butt!)

I really like and recommend Weight Watchers, espcially their online program. It's more of a lifestyle change than a diet, and it really works, and you arent restricted in the kinds of food you eat -- mostly just the amount. The online program is pretty affordable too.

Hopefully this helps a little, and let me know if you have any more questions. I feel your pain :)

(but your pics look great and I totally do not see how you could lose 30 lbs!?!?! just sayin'..... :) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANET1111 View Post
you arent restricted in the kinds of food you eat -- mostly just the amount.

I think this is very important on what Janet wrote. The reason why most people fail on diets is because they are forced to not eat the things they love, instead still eat those things as a treat for doing well. I LOVE choc. so if I work out and stick to my plan I will treat myself to something small so that I won't Crave it and go crazy one day and eat a whole cake because I missed it too much.. lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMMYM View Post
I think this is very important on what Janet wrote. The reason why most people fail on diets is because they are forced to not eat the things they love, instead still eat those things as a treat for doing well. I LOVE choc. so if I work out and stick to my plan I will treat myself to something small so that I won't Crave it and go crazy one day and eat a whole cake because I missed it too much.. lol..
I agree with both Tammy and Janet. Depriving yourself just works against you. The second I think "I'm on a diet" it's the second I head for the fatty foods. I pretty much eat everything, but in moderation. It's all about lifestyle change. You start eating healthy and all of a sudden you crave fruits and veggies!

Sarah, I never asked... what is "slow" results for you? Don't forget that healthy weight loss is only a couple of pounds per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARLA View Post
Are you sure there's not something you're sneaking into your diet? Sweets, alcohol? Are you doing cardio more than 4 times a week for longer than 30 minutes?
It wasn't really a matter of sneaking anything into my diet, because up until a couple weeks ago, there wasn't any diet. I pretty much ate whatever, whenever. Very little alcohol, but the sweets are definitely a problem! I was doing NO exercise (except horseback riding once weekly) until about a month ago when I started Body for life. I lost about 3 lbs right away, then gained 4 back, even though I was doing all the dieting and weight training like I should. Do you think it could be just gaining muscle weight?
So, then we went on vacation and I kinda fell off the wagon and need to get started again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANET1111 View Post
Hey Sarah, I am not a skinny girl (but damn I try really hard to be one...haha) I swear I am like a dieting/exercise pro, because I have to do it or else I will turn into a whale. Anyway, here are my tips:

No matter what gimmick is attached to any one diet or exercise plan, the basic premise is that you need to eat less, and burn more.

(but your pics look great and I totally do not see how you could lose 30 lbs!?!?! just sayin'..... :) )
Gee thanks. I know I don't look terrible, but I used to wear a size 2-4 and now I wear an 8-10. And I did it over such a long period of time that it never was very shocking until now that I have to think about peranent pictures of myself (and buying a wedding dress). I wear scrubs all the time- I work in them, I hang out in the house in them and I don't have an extremely active social life so it was easy to let the weight creep up on me, besides the fact that when I turned 23 my metabolism came to a screeching halt.
All of your tips are excellent. It's like, I know what I need to do, but I need to hear it from someone. I also need to find a way to be accountable because the FI is no help- he eats terrible!