Photo

Exercises I can do with a cracked rib?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drtracy

drtracy
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

Okay, I need a little help. This weekend was my bachelorette party. Had a great time but somehow in the drunken revelry I cracked my rib. Painful, yes, but the fun was worth it!

Anyway, here’s where I need help, I’ve been doing a great job with exercising and eating right but I still have 5-10 more lbs to lose. With the pain I can’t do a lot of my regular exercises. Has anyone ever experienced this? I’m looking for some exercises that I can do that won’t aggravate my injury. My doctor just told me to “try” to do things and if it hurts stop. Not very helpful so I thought I would turn to my BDW experts. Any suggestions?

#2 Ginalyn

Ginalyn
    • 2,754 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

Ow!! That sounds painful just reading it. I'm definitely not a doctor but what do you think about a using a stationary bike? It doesn't involve much upper body movement but is still a good cardio workout. I wouldn't suggest the kind that makes you bend all the way forward though.

#3 KLC77

KLC77
      • 2,207 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

My first thought was the bike as well... sounds painful, but atleast you had a great time at your bachelorette and have a fantastic story to tell!
        ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#4 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,921 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

finger exercises! You will have HOT fingers, haha. j/k

How about walking? Walking burns a ton of calories. Try to keep your elbows up!

#5 drtracy

drtracy
          • 436 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

Good ideas, I usually do the elliptical for a while but I'm afraid that might be too much. I'm going to try the bike and the treadmill once I'm back in action. Just taking a few days off before I hit the grind again.

Thanks!

#6 DGG

DGG
            • 275 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

Are you sure it's really broken? Maybe it's just a muscle pull? (hopefully :))
              I broke a rib last year with my attempt at surfing - that was the worst pain I have ever experienced.. I was taking codeine for a week or so after the injury, but was away on vacation so I was doing some hiking after a few days (the codeine helped :)). It took a while to get back into working out b/c I had pain whenever I was breathing heavy.. I think you should be okay with a stationary bike or fast walking.. Definitely stay away from anything that uses your arms or has you bouncing a lot (like running, elliptical). Maybe you can use a stairmaster if you don't move your upper body too much. Try to do leg weights, as long as it doesn't hurt.
              You can take Motrin before and after working out. Good luck.. and don't push yourself too hard :)

#7 DGG

DGG
              • 275 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

Are you sure it's really broken? Maybe it's just a muscle pull? (hopefully :))
                I broke a rib last year with my attempt at surfing - that was the worst pain I have ever experienced.. I was taking codeine for a week or so after the injury, but was away on vacation so I was doing some hiking after a few days (the codeine helped :)). It took a while to get back into working out b/c I had pain whenever I was breathing heavy.. I think you should be okay with a stationary bike or fast walking.. Definitely stay away from anything that uses your arms or has you bouncing a lot (like running, elliptical). Maybe you can use a stairmaster if you don't move your upper body too much. Try to do leg weights, as long as it doesn't hurt.
                You can take Motrin before and after working out. Good luck.. and don't push yourself too hard :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users