Photo

How to Create Your Own Planner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scarletina

Scarletina
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

So, after spending like 2 hours at the book store browsing through the million different planning books I found yesterday I ended up with nothing. Who would have figured huh? I have decided to make my own. Anyone have any tips they can offer on how to organize the best way? Naturally I figured a binder with dividers that have folders and loose paper - that part I can figure out on my own- but what tabs are a must have? Are there great calendar templates you can direct me to? How about realistic checklists for DW's?

Thanks!
    37 CABINS BOOKED AND COUNTING!!

CHECK OUT MY WEDDING WEBSITE:

WWW.WEDDINGAWEIGH.COM

#2 love2cul8r

love2cul8r
    • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hi Scarletina,

I also made my own planner and here are my tabs (not in any particular order):
      1. dress (bride/bridesmaids) / accessories
      2. decorations / color combos
      3. food / cake
      4. photography / videography
      5. venue info - ceremony/reception
      6. calendar / checklist
      7. destination information (mailings/print-outs/contacts)
      8. a pocket to keep track of receipts
      For a simple countdown calendar, I just tore one out from one of the bridal magazines to keep me up on what things should be done and checked off every month.

I feel that a DIY planner should be whatever you want to put into it. If anything catches your eye in a magazine, tear it out and put it in there - it's really your idea book. =) It's something to show your wedding coordinator, your family, or your bridesmaids, or your vendors to give them a sense of what you want your wedding to be like!

Good luck and have fun with it!

#3 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,921 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

I hear you. Same prob.
        I think the below tabs sound good. Maybe add an inspiration tab, or possible DIY projects area.

#4 ~Stephanie~

~Stephanie~
        • 3,347 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by love2cul8r
          Hi Scarletina,

I also made my own planner and here are my tabs (not in any particular order):
          1. dress (bride/bridesmaids) / accessories
          2. decorations / color combos
          3. food / cake
          4. photography / videography
          5. venue info - ceremony/reception
          6. calendar / checklist
          7. destination information (mailings/print-outs/contacts)
          8. a pocket to keep track of receipts
          For a simple countdown calendar, I just tore one out from one of the bridal magazines to keep me up on what things should be done and checked off every month.

I feel that a DIY planner should be whatever you want to put into it. If anything catches your eye in a magazine, tear it out and put it in there - it's really your idea book. =) It's something to show your wedding coordinator, your family, or your bridesmaids, or your vendors to give them a sense of what you want your wedding to be like!

Good luck and have fun with it!
          I also did my own and it is similar to this..

I have a 3 ring binder with tabbed dividers labeled:

1. Budget
          2. Checklists
          3. Travel Info (airfare, resort info, contact info)
          4. Contracts/deposits
          5. Wedding Package details
          6. Photographer
          7. Videographer
          8. Music
          9. Ceremony details
          10. Reception details (including dinner menus)
          11. Flowers
          12. Cake
          13. Decorations
          14. Dresses/Suits/Attire
          15. Invitations
          16. Extras
          Some pocket folders where needed as well.

I looked for a premade planner too and didn't find any that really covered what I wanted or were specific to a DW. Hope this helps!
          ~Stephanie

Our wedding websitewww.mywedding.com/stephanieandmichaelbailey

#5 scottgm2

scottgm2
          • 229 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

never thought about making my own planner. great idea. I only thought about trying to find one online. Thanks

#6 Scarletina

Scarletina
            • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

Hi Ladies, so I did decide to go ahead and make my own folder. Here is what i bought between Target and Staples and it cost me about $15 which is A LOT cheaper than the store kind and I don't have to deal with all the details that evolve around a traditional at home wedding.

Cute decorative 3 ring binder. I am pretty sure it's a 1". It will hold 175 pieces of paper. $3

Plastic dividers with two pockets - these were $4 per package and came with 8 dividers. I went ahead and bought two.

Package of college rule paper - $1

Package of Sheet Protectors - I really enjoy taking clipings from magazines and make a little mood board for things and the page protectors are great. $3

So total with tax was around $15 and I am so happy to have decided to make my own because I can really make it what I need.

I also googled free wedding planner and downloaded the ones from brides.com - you can get it free if you just sign up for an account. It's 50 pages so I just picked out the pages that I needed and printed those - there are a lot of extras that you won't need.

Hope my info was helpful as I know that the other girls who posted after I asked the questions helped me alot!

WWW.WEDDINGAWEIGH.COM

#7 Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez

Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez
              • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

I made my own planner too because the ready made ones were expensive and some of them had things I did not need. Now I'm trying to buy a purse big enough to place my binder in on the way to cabo so I can have planner handy .

#8 Scarletina

Scarletina
                • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

LOL. I just did this over the weekend too. I wish that binders came is more sizes - a smaller one would have been ideal! I found a cute tote on clearance at Target though. I am telling you- since being able to put all my stuff together I feel a thousand times better about what I still have to do.

Now..... if I could just find a realistic calendar to use for my to-do's..... a hunting I will go.

WWW.WEDDINGAWEIGH.COM

#9 budgetjamaicabride

budgetjamaicabride
                  • 516 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

I am working on mine as we speak... it is my goal to make sure it is complete by this weekend. But I ahve been saying that for two weeks. I need my work to slow down! Ok... no excuses... THanks for all the ideas ladies

#10 Danyelle

Danyelle
                    • 368 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

What a great idea. I think I'll borrow some supplies for work to make mine. Thanks for this idea ladies!!! SUPER helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users