Photo

Gifts for Bride & Groom

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RoryS

RoryS
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

My niece is getting married in Mexico and several family members will be attending. My question is - what sort of monetary gift is appropriate to give? Obviously, there won't be any gifts brought along, due to transporting them back and I almost always give a cash gift. Would you still give something similar to a gift for a wedding at home? I generally give $250 and up/per couple (depending on whether it's family or not), but adding in the cost of the trip - it's getting pretty expensive.

#2 binzer

binzer
    • 230 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

I would guess that maybe $100 would be appropriate, but I'm not really sure! Maybe someone else here who has been on the receiving end know.

#3 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
      • VIP Member
      • 4,791 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

I think $100 would be appropriate. Trust me, your presence at the wedding is going to mean so much to her - and to add in a gift on top of that is just icing on the cake IMHO :)

~ Jaime & Martin ~
        "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#4 budgetjamaicabride

budgetjamaicabride
        • 516 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

I agree that with the cost of your travel and time to join them, $100 is totally appropriate.

#5 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 4,513 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Any monetary gift you decide to give is totally icing on the cake. We didn't expect any gifts from our guests, just the fact that they were there to celebrate with us was more of a gift than anything!!!!

#6 DRB

DRB
            • 647 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:28 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Betsy
              Any monetary gift you decide to give is totally icing on the cake. We didn't expect any gifts from our guests, just the fact that they were there to celebrate with us was more of a gift than anything!!!!
              I agree with Betsy, we don't expect anything so anything that anyone gives us is just a bonus!

#7 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
              • VIP Member
              • 18,452 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

I'm with Betsy. We didnt expect any gifts from anyone. I say give whatever you can. We got gifts ranging from $50 to $5000.
                ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#8 RoryS

RoryS
                • 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek
                  I'm with Betsy. We didnt expect any gifts from anyone. I say give whatever you can. We got gifts ranging from $50 to $5000.
                  Thanks so much for all the input. I think $100 will do it, as it's just me - by myself - as my husband is not able to make it. I also am surprising her with some personalized fans for the ceremony. I feel for her too, as she and her husband to be are both architects and they both just got laid off from their jobs. Not alot of building going on these days...

#9 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
                  • VIP Member
                  • 18,452 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

I'm sorry for them losing their jobs. I'm sure they will really appreciate your gift and the fans.
                    ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                    Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                    Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users