Issues/Questions/Concerns/Safety Traveling to Mexico? POST HERE!

LCBride2007

Yes, I am in the same boat... I don't think anyone purchased cancellation insurance! I really, really hope that they don't close borders or restrict travel. This is my main concern. I'm also sad to think that some of our guests might cancel this week, but I'm trying to tell myself that it's their call and that I need to respect their concerns.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure, but I think that between the time that you pay your initial deposit & when you pay the remaining balance that you can add trip insurance. Like I said, I'm not sure b/c I didn't even consider trip insurance, b/c I said come hell or high water we're going. But to put people's lives at stake is a totally different scenario. So, in retrospect, I truly wish we had purchased trip insurance, b/c we would be going to plan b right about now!!shitfan.gif

• 3 weeks later...

You can only purchase cancel for any reason insurance (the only thing that will cover a flu pandemic) within 15 days of the first deposit you put on any part of the trip (airfare, hotel, cars, etc.). I just got back from Puerto Vallarta (also went in March). I had called to check on it for this trip and my wedding trip next May. I wasn't able to get it this trip because I had booked airfare more than 15 days out. Even though I only wanted to insure the non-refundable villa that was booked less than 15 days out. I was able to get it for next year though and my very large non-refundable villa.

With that said though, I am so glad we didn't cancel! We had so much fun on this trip. We went with a group of 7 and the only sign there was any kind of flu was that some of the bars and resturants closed a little early and nothing was crowded. It was awesome. We got amazing deals on everything we did because (sadly) everyone is so desperate for tourist income right now. We got 30% our canopy tour, a 40 minute water tax to Yelapa for only $10, and specials on food at resturants. A co-worker of mine went to Cancun last week as well and had the same experience. 1 person in our group coming from Seattle had his return flight cancelled right before he left but they re-booked him on another one later that same day. Lucky dog got to stay later than the rest of us and the villa let him hang out there all day until his flight because they didn't have anyone else checking in.

None of my group or hers is sick. No one wore masks. We did practice hand washing but not as viligently has I have traveling around the US for my job. The flu is definitely slowing there and really hasn't affected the resort communities. I know PV has no confirmed or suspected cases still. The only place I would be worried about is the planes and connecting through Mexico City. Just bring lots of hand sanitizer with you and have a blast!

• 2 months later...

My FI is the one who wanted the destination wedding in Riviera Maya, and now he said he is worried how the drug war situation will be next year! As far as I know that is limited to the border towns. I do not think it will get to the resort area b/c tourism is the big moneymaker and with the swine flu I don't think they would want the industry to get any worse.

Hi leobunny

I'm a Canadian who has been based in Zihuatanejo - Ixtapa for a little over two years. I live here with my husband who happens to be Mexican. We both feel quite safe. The local police are great about cruising the tourist zones to deter problems from arising. Generally speaking the residents of Zihua and Ixtapa are chilled out. Zihua - Ixtapa are nice places to visit and a great places to live. :-) if you have any further questions about the area, don't hesitate to ask. Happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leobunny View Post
What about Zihuatanejo or Puerta Vallarta (Las Caletas) that are located close to Mexico City??

I found a few articles Zihuatanejo - Cruise Log - USATODAY.com

Is anyone concerned about these areas for weddings? I'm considering both of these areas, but I really need reassurance that's it's safe. Am I the only one worried about these areas? I haven't seen anyone mention them on here. Can anyone offers any words of wisdom?

• 7 months later...

While so many of our friends and family are excited that we decided to have a destination wedding, the other half keep telling us the dangers of Mexico lately! I understand that there are risks, but there are risks everywhere- all over the US!

I don't know how to respond, other than the usual, we hope you support us, it's our day, etc. but some people are really pushing our buttons about this.

Has anyone else had to deal with this that much? Does anyone want to share their opinion, am I missing something??