Issues/Questions/Concerns/Safety Traveling to Mexico? POST HERE!

LCBride2007

After all of the Mexico drug violence stuff now as of today there is this swine flu epiemic in Mexico! We're getting married in less than 2 months outside of Cancun and I feel like I've just calmed my guests down about the violence and now this! It's very scary and not just confined to one area of Mexico. I've already gotten a couple emails from concerned guests and I'm freaking out....

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJS,

Good to know I'm not the only one who is freaking out over this new flu epedemic. We are going to Cancun in one month & we have just gotten everyone to settle down about all the violence & now this!! We are beginning to think it wasn't meant to be, but so many people will loose so much money, so we must trek on. I just worry the most about the children & elderly that will be traveling with us, as I don't think they have the immunities that a young adult has. If it's not one thing it''s another!! Hopefully they can contain it soon & I've read it's mostly in central Mexico (Mexico City), so hopefully we will be fine. Keep me updated on your thoughts and decisions, so I don't feel so alone in my freaking out :)

Girlies the flue is mostly isolated to Mexico City, but its already in the US so you and your guests have just the same chance of getting it at home sad.gif There are several cases of it in Southern Cali, Texas and some found in NYC today so if it made it to NYC its everywhere inbetween as well.

Yeah, I did read that it's already made it to NY, TX, CA & most recently KS, so I agree if it's already here, you run the risk of contracting the flu at home as well. However, the US has only 10 confirmed cases, while Mexico has 1000, so I'd venture to say you have a greater risk of contracting the flu in Mexico. I don't know, maybe it's just me being my normal, overly paranoid self (I think it runs in the family b/c my mom's freaking out as well.)

BREATH!!!! You have almost 5 weeks til your wedding. The flu is treatable. I've been to a few hospitals in Mexico and I actually liked them better than the states. We felt very welcome, helped and the people there were always there to help, explaining, we felt like the kids in pediatrics (cause they get treated so nice ALL the time!)

My best suggestion for situations like this is to familiarize yourself as much as possible about it. here are some links about the swine flu from the cdc and its all been updated w/ new info

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) Investigation

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Flu and You

Ok, I'm breathing :) I'm glad to hear that someone has actually been to a hospital in Mexico. I just always imagined the worst as far as their hospitals. Like I said I just worry mostly about the two children (our 5 yr old son & my 2 month old nephew.) Hopefully within the next 30 days, the situation will have improved. Thanks for your advice, I feel just a bit more at ease about the situation (this site is just so great, especially in times like these.) Thanks again!!!!

I have to agree that children are definitely a concern. Throw in some purell in OOTs or something. I would just make sure your guests are aware of how to prevent themselves (best they possibly can) from swine flu and other things in Mexico.

I really hope it gets better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinson1503 View Post
Ok, I'm breathing :) I'm glad to hear that someone has actually been to a hospital in Mexico. I just always imagined the worst as far as their hospitals. Like I said I just worry mostly about the two children (our 5 yr old son & my 2 month old nephew.) Hopefully within the next 30 days, the situation will have improved. Thanks for your advice, I feel just a bit more at ease about the situation (this site is just so great, especially in times like these.) Thanks again!!!!
I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but, there have been very few cases of children or the elderly being affected. The majority of people have been young adults. While it is the flu as long as you make sure to wash your hands (like Jess said) you and your family should be fine. I leave in one week, not so worried about the flu but a bit worried if anyone starts closing travel...

Also, I'm closer to NYC right now then I will be to Mexico City once I'm in Cancun so I'll be happy to be there. :)

Prohibiting travel to Mexico b/c of the swine flu, is yet another thing to worry about!!! While I understand the need to possibly prohibit travel to Mexico, I truly hope it doesn't come to that. If they do prohibit Americans to travel to Mexico, I wonder what happens to all the money all the guests have invested in their travel (none of us purchased insurance, so does that mean we are SOL?) Everyone keep your fingers crossed that this situation greatly improves very quickly!!!