Photo

Tips for lowering your body fat...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs.Morley

Mrs.Morley
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

Does anyone have any tips on how to lower one's body fat %? I am about 5'1, weigh about 117, have a small frame but my body fat is extremely high. When I look in the mirror I could see the cottage cheese all over my mid-section. I need help!!!!

#2 TammyB

TammyB
    • 10,630 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

A very high intense cardo class.

#3 Mrs.Morley

Mrs.Morley
      • 259 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Yuk! Im not a huge cardio person. I usually run about 2-3 miles ever other day but I guess I have to step it up. I get really bad shin splints, therefore I don't like to over do it.

#4 -Kate-

-Kate-
        • VIP Member
        • 7,676 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

The best way is to lose bf is to do long amount of cardio (no less than 45 min) at around 70% of your max heart rate ( which is slow) 4-6 times a week.

#5 LisaG

LisaG
          • VIP Member
          • 7,839 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by sanchez0014
            Yuk! Im not a huge cardio person. I usually run about 2-3 miles ever other day but I guess I have to step it up. I get really bad shin splints, therefore I don't like to over do it.
            From what I am experiencing now...your body is use to running and is no longer going to react. You need to shock it by doing other cardio activity. Cardio classes are really best...IMO.

#6 SusanK

SusanK
            • VIP Member
            • 2,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

The best way to get results is to combine cardio with strength training. You want to change fat into lean muscle, and the only way to do that is through strength/resistance training. A lot of "skinny" people have high body fat %. Strength training will not "bulk" you up (unless you are on some specialized diet) when combine with cardio. Lean muscle mass actually takes up less space than fat, so as you change fat into muscle you will lose inches. Combine that with fat burning cardio workouts and you'll really see results (diet of course is very important..if not the most important element). Strength training, and the resulting increase in lean muscle mass, will also boost your overall metabolism. Cardo boosts your metabolism while in the act, and for about 30-60 minutes afterwards, but then it readjusts.
              Susan&Matt 10-12-07, Mia Lily 7-9-08, Charlie David 6-28-10

#7 tvt

tvt
              • VIP Member
              • 4,812 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Wow Susan! I want you to be my personal trainer!

#8 LisaG

LisaG
                • VIP Member
                • 7,839 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

I want you to be my personal trainer too!!

#9 Mrs.Morley

Mrs.Morley
                  • 259 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Susan101207
                    The best way to get results is to combine cardio with strength training. You want to change fat into lean muscle, and the only way to do that is through strength/resistance training. A lot of "skinny" people have high body fat %. Strength training will not "bulk" you up (unless you are on some specialized diet) when combine with cardio. Lean muscle mass actually takes up less space than fat, so as you change fat into muscle you will lose inches. Combine that with fat burning cardio workouts and you'll really see results (diet of course is very important..if not the most important element). Strength training, and the resulting increase in lean muscle mass, will also boost your overall metabolism. Cardo boosts your metabolism while in the act, and for about 30-60 minutes afterwards, but then it readjusts.
                    Wow, thanks for the detailed advice. I am actually starting a strength training class today. How many times do you advise I do strength training? the class I am going to is twice a week but I can always do things on my own.

I greately appreciate everyone's advise!

#10 BayBug

BayBug
                    • 852 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 02:13 PM

That was some really good advice. I get really bored when I am doing strength training, but you are totally right. You will get lean. I need to combine my running and swimming and then weights. I really dislike weights. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Susan101207

Angie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users