Photo

Foreign Transaction Fees

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Connie C

Connie C
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:24 AM

I'm in the midst of planning my November wedding at the Hilton and I realized that the 3% foreign transaction fee my bank charges adds up (not to mention the 10% government tax and 13-15% service charge). Has anyone else thought about this? What tips do you have to avoid the extra foreign transaction fees? Thanks in advance.

#2 katrina

katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 4,328 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

hi connie,
      here is a thread about this-
      http://bestdestinati...com/forum/t7041

#3 mich999

mich999
      • 386 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hi Connie - hope planning is going well! Since the Hilton charges everything in dollars - is there still a 3$ transaction fee? I have had any for the deposit charges on my credit card. But that mey not be the case once we get down there. Regardless, I suggest opening a capital one card. I got one for foreign travel a couple years ago - it's the only bank that eats all the fees associated for currency exchanges.

#4 Connie C

Connie C
        • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

Hi Michelle,

Yes, unfortunately, the bank still charges a foreign transaction fee even though the Hilton charges in dollars. My credit card charged me a foreign transaction fee on the deposit I paid the Hilton.

I was thinking about getting a Capital One card for that reason, but I was hoping to find a check card with a lower or no foreign transaction fee. WaMu used to only charge 1% but they changed when Chase bought them out.

#5 Connie C

Connie C
          • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:38 AM

Thank you, Katrina.

#6 DGG

DGG
            • 275 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:20 AM

Discover didn't have a fee - but they are switching the policy May 1..
              I was so mad - our wedding is in May and I'm sure we'll have to charge stuff in May. I get really annoyed paying fees like that b/c it's just throwing money away..
              I called a lot of credit card companies and the only one I could find without a fee is Capital One..

#7 mich999

mich999
              • 386 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

That's really weird - I have a chase visa that I put my hilton deposit down and I didn't get charged a foreign transaction fee - though I'm going back to check right now to make sure!!

#8 mich999

mich999
                • 386 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hey Connie - I just wanted to let you know that I went back and reviewed my credit card statement and there was no transaction fee listed anywhere (and I used a chase visa, not capital one), so perhaps it's worth asking your credit card company as to why they added a fee, especially when the Hilton charges in dollars.

#9 Connie C

Connie C
                  • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:35 AM

Thank you, Michelle. I have a Chase Visa also, maybe I should start using that instead of my Citibank Mastercard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users