CANADIAN OOT BAG info...where to shop!

Thanks! I'll take a look there.

Originally Posted by lindsayraz View Post

Manda123, I got my travel aloe from Walmart. I believe it is $2. But I've heard Superstore or Rexall has them for a bit cheaper.

Originally Posted by AquaCait View Post

What I have figured is that if it's a ginormous box, then they will charge duty because they will get more $$ from it.  I've bought stuff that came in smaller packages from the States and I haven't been charged.  Just be prepared to pay it, that's how I look at it. 

Interesting about the duty! I got my maracas from a shop in Texas (I think), but had to pay 30 bucks or so in shipping. And the maracas only cost 100 bucks originally! Maybe they weren't originally made in texas... Hmm..

I will let you know what/if I pay when the mugs show up!

Originally Posted by kya101 View Post

You should only pay duty on items that are NOT made in Canada, US or Mexico. Anything that is made in North America (Canada, US and Mexico) should not cost you anything but shipping.

That makes sense! But why is it that sometimes I don't pay duty? I don't understand this part! I buy stuff on ebay sometimes and I don't ever remember paying duty.

Originally Posted by DramaticAnnie View Post

Nope, I cross the border between the US and Canada a couple times a year and from what i've gathered, duty is basically like HST. You don't pay for it in the states but you get dinged when you bring it home!

I know! When I travel across it's different, when I order something on ebay or someplace it's like a random thing. And when you go to the post office and get that frigging card that says you owe this much, it sucks. Theres one website I order from every Christmas (its like the animal rescue site or something like that?) and I ALWAYS pay duty on my stuff from them. I know if a seller marks the parcel they're sending as a 'gift' (which is illegal) then you don't get charged for duty for a gift.

Here is a good site to get info about us/canada shipping and what you really pay. You do pay taxes and sometimes brokerage fees and only duty on imported items made in other countries besides North America. And you have to remember just because you buy from the states doesn't mean that it was made there. Hopefully this is helpful!!! Oh and most ebay sellers do ship as a gift, even though they are not suppose to. Sometimes it really depends on the amount and size of the package and how it crosses the border, us post, ups, fedex, etc. Most good sites will send you to a borderfree site that tells you how much you will pay for all of it, like OT does.

OOPS... forgot the site http://canadaonline.about.com/cs/customs/a/shopshipcanada.htm

Originally Posted by kya101 View Post

Here is a good site to get info about us/canada shipping and what you really pay. You do pay taxes and sometimes brokerage fees and only duty on imported items made in other countries besides North America. And you have to remember just because you buy from the states doesn't mean that it was made there. Hopefully this is helpful!!! Oh and most ebay sellers do ship as a gift, even though they are not suppose to. Sometimes it really depends on the amount and size of the package and how it crosses the border, us post, ups, fedex, etc. Most good sites will send you to a borderfree site that tells you how much you will pay for all of it, like OT does.

Hi Shelly,

I bought some clear bags at dollarama for the smaller stuff and then I got Glad bags at dollarama that come with tags...that way you don't have writing on them . I made my labels on Vistaprint using the post cards. One Canadian bride posted her bags probably about a month or so ago and I liked them so much, I made mine like hers. If you search for Oot bag labels or oot bag threads, you should find some photos and ideas. I made my own labels for my pashiminas using blank labels from Staples. I used the wording that another bride used. Check pashimina tag threads or for other types of tag threads.

I hope this helps!

Originally Posted by ShellyCarter View Post

Hey Girls, Just Wondering

does anyone  know how to make the survival kit bags and labels?

Thanks Shelly

thanks 

Originally Posted by amjohnson View Post

Hi Shelly,

I bought some clear bags at dollarama for the smaller stuff and then I got Glad bags at dollarama that come with tags...that way you don't have writing on them . I made my labels on Vistaprint using the post cards. One Canadian bride posted her bags probably about a month or so ago and I liked them so much, I made mine like hers. If you search for Oot bag labels or oot bag threads, you should find some photos and ideas. I made my own labels for my pashiminas using blank labels from Staples. I used the wording that another bride used. Check pashimina tag threads or for other types of tag threads.

I hope this helps!