To Texas Brides going to Cancun airport

Just an FYI for any of you or your party having trouble finding cheaper flights to Mexico. Austin airport has a Mexican non-stop airlines flying in and out for pretty cheap. They even have some shuttles from other cities.

It is called VivaAerobus. When you first pull it up, it is in Spanish. Click the American flag in the top right corner for English. If you see a rate you like, book it. Rates for our dates a couple months ago were $289 round trip and I sent out an email to our party. Some waited till the weekend and rates went up to $450 and they missed out. Since they have gone up and down so if you don't see a rate this week, look next week.

https://www.vivaaerobus.com/?sessionend=1

I am flying them to Puerto Vallarta this weekend. I got fares for 125/person round trip. I will let you know if there are any problems. It is a bare bones airline and I have been warned to not get to the airport to late. They only have 1 flight a day and only on 2 days a week. If you miss the flight you are out the money for that flight and if you have to get back before the next day they fly, you will be spending a lot booking on another airline.

The airlines just opened up a few more days a week to Cancun. They do not fly on Tuesday or Wednesday only now. For the last couple months, they only showed two days a week flying.

I have had two friends fly on them recently and they said they were not bad at all. Most of my wedding guests are flying with them. Some are even driving down from the Texas Panhandle because of the savings.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! My entire guest count will be using Viva for our wedding in June 2010.

I have flown with Viva twice and will be flying with them again in November to finish wedding details. They are great for the price. My ticket for Nov. is the cheapest so far ($150 after tax and fees). No food or drinks provided free of charge, but because they are a Mexican airline stuff is cheap ($2.50 for a beer). Also they are strict with the weight limit so be careful. Another important note to anyone not familiar to he airport- it is at the South Terminal not the Main Terminal. Be sure you know where to go because they are not next to each other!

One additional note about Viva: Make sure you call the airline prior to heading to the airport. My flight back from PV was delayed several hours. They notified me via email but I did not check my email that morning or the day before. We had to take another cab back into town to eat breakfast and kill some time. The check in desk people were very nice and recommended a great place for breakfast and the bus root to take there. (We opted for a cab but got a deal because it was so early in the morning, there were no arriving flights)

What were the ticket prices for next June? I have finally set a date for next May and was wondering if the prices would be very good this far out. They seem to be the cheapest at 90 days out. (As typical for most airlines)

My trip in March was only 125 and my trip this May is closer to 150. One person in our group bought early and got them a little cheaper and a few bought later and had to pay more.

We have seen them go up and down in price. Many of our guests bought when they first opened up the year. It was very inexpensive the first week or so then all the sudden when people were buying they bumped their prices a couple hundred dollars.

Another note. When they first opened up this year, they only opened flight dates on Sunday and Thursday. This caused us some problems because we were planning on people being there from Thursday through Monday. Now most are leaving on Sunday because when they booked, they could only book a flight back on Sunday. The airline has since opened up flights on all days of the week except Tuesday and Wednesday.

• 4 weeks later...

All, This thread is no longer any good! VivaAerobus just announced that all flights after May 21 2009 are cancelled and they are leaving Austin.

Almost all the people attending our wedding was flying with them so there is some hustling going on to get new flights arranged.