Jump to content

Photo

Iberostar Grand Rose Hall


  • Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#241 JamaicaSukie

JamaicaSukie
  • Newbie
  • 75 posts

    Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

    That's terrible!  Can they even do that?  I'm getting married at the Suites on 7/7/12 and have confirmed with their WC (Nicole) that the rates have not changed for them but if they had I would be livid as well.  When you signed the agreement, were there any rates on there?  If so, then I can't see how they can change an agreement without the consent of all parties.  They should also allow you to use the vendors you've already booked if you can provide proof that you booked them before the new rates were released.  You will lose money if you have to cancel those vendors and the hotel needs to be sensitive to that.  I would write EVERYONE and their mother at Iberostar until they fix this.  I would also write negative reviews wherever I could warning future brides and copies to the WC at the Grand (but I'm really aggressive like that...lol).  Hope it works out for you in the end.

     

    Originally Posted by Jen723 

    hey ladies!  Do you all know that the Grand has changed everything???  NO outside florists!!  No outside steel drum vendors- or DJS!!!  We have to have Tai Flora-- ru kidding me??  And The house DJ!???? this is unreal!!!!  Do you know the prices went up from $1700 to rent the Port Maria to $3000!!!!!  that is outrageous!!!   I posted on Iberostar facebook page- i posted on tripadvisor.  The prices are ruining my wedding.  I went with Iberostar because of the freedom to select vendors and now I'm completely screwed.  The thing is I booked most of my vendors- now what.  How was I supposed to know about that.  And the steel drums were $200 an hour to book now with the hotel it is $450 an hour to book.  Well, they are losing my business- any ideas of where to have a wedding or reception off property?



     


    Marrying the love of my life in Jamaica on 7/7/12 and have 11 people booked so far!!


    #242 sunshine2413

    sunshine2413
    • Site Supporter
    • 340 posts

      Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

      Hey Jen,

       

      I found out too and like you I had already paid deposits for vendors. I had booked Kevan for our DJ and he was floored to learn out about this because he just did a wedding there recently. He tried to fight it, but no luck, so he ended up refunding my deposit. But the only thing I can think of, is that something that happened with the outside vendors to make them think twice to change. Please let us know if you hear any resolution. I have tried emailing and questioning this, as well, but no luck thus far. It has def off set the budget!!!

       

      Thanks

      Shannon
       

      Originally Posted by Jen723 

      the email message didn't copy right.  oops



       



      #243 sthor07

      sthor07
      • Newbie
      • 12 posts

        Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

        I had no idea that the other resorts weren't jacking up the prices for the exact same services. That is outrageous! I really hope that they get back to you soon. I am getting married at the Grand April 7th. The beach bon fire price increase is absolutely ridiculous. Keep us posted!



        #244 Jen723

        Jen723
        • Newbie
        • 13 posts

          Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

          So I posted on the Iberostar Spanish facebook and then they told me to email them- i did- and they said they would forward it.  and i got nothing.  it's been like a week now.  i was a mess for a couple days.  i felt like my entire wedding- my vision was ruined.  i'm just glad i'm not alone.  i chose iberostar because i had the freedom- if i wanted a cookie cutter wedding then i would have went with sandals. 

           

          Oh and you won't even believe this- after i wrote the grand and told them i would be looking into having the wedding off property the next email i received is "I've been out of the office i will see what i can do"  then not a day later I received a time sheet from Iberostar- for me to fill out so they can start planning the wedding.   huh????  like did they not understand anything that i said to them????   has anyone else reached out?  If she is willing to see what she can do maybe the message is being received???? 

           



          #245 TheWolferts

          TheWolferts
          • Jr. Member
          • 458 posts

            Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

            Hi everyone,

             

            I am actually getting married at the El Dorado Royale in Riveria Maya, Mexico, but we are trying to decide on where to go for our honeymoon... we have it narrowed down to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and Secrets Wild Orchid, both in Montego Bay.

             

            I know I did a lot of research on the EDR for our wedding, so I thought someone getting married at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall could give me some insight on this property!

             

            Any reviews/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!



            #246 Leah22

            Leah22
            • Newbie
            • 150 posts

              Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

              Jen,

               

              I reached out to Iberostar.  I emailed the corporate office and heard nothing back.  I complained and Janielle and Angellie (WC and PR Manager) and heard nothing in regards to the rule changes.  But Janielle said I can bring in outside flowers/decorations.  As long as no outside vendors come onto the property.  Not sure where I'm going to go from here.  I don't want to find another venue after I already have several people booked at the Grand.  But I'm definitely not going to put any more money into extras at the Grand for the wedding.  For instance, I was going to do a beach bonfire with steel pan band the night before my wedding.  But after doing the math, it will be more affordable for me take my guests on a catamaran cruise or excursion.
               

              Originally Posted by Jen723 

              So I posted on the Iberostar Spanish facebook and then they told me to email them- i did- and they said they would forward it.  and i got nothing.  it's been like a week now.  i was a mess for a couple days.  i felt like my entire wedding- my vision was ruined.  i'm just glad i'm not alone.  i chose iberostar because i had the freedom- if i wanted a cookie cutter wedding then i would have went with sandals. 

               

              Oh and you won't even believe this- after i wrote the grand and told them i would be looking into having the wedding off property the next email i received is "I've been out of the office i will see what i can do"  then not a day later I received a time sheet from Iberostar- for me to fill out so they can start planning the wedding.   huh????  like did they not understand anything that i said to them????   has anyone else reached out?  If she is willing to see what she can do maybe the message is being received???? 

               



               



              #247 Leah22

              Leah22
              • Newbie
              • 150 posts

                Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:51 PM


                How's your planning process at the EDR?  My fiance and I were going to go there on vacation this past September, but we had to cancel at the last minute!  I was very bummed.  I considered it for the wedding, but then we went with Jamaica.

                 

                We actually stayed at Secrets St. James 2 years ago and LOVED it.  Wild Orchid and St. James are the same.  They're just separate buildings on the same property.  (WO is usually advertised as a little more expensive, but I don't think it's worth it to pay extra to stay at Wild Orchid).  WO is slightly closer to the restaurants, night club, entertainment area, etc.  But St. James is only a 3 minute walk away.  St. James seems to be a little quieter because of this (but like I said, it's a small property).  St. James is right next to the spa/health club.  The decor is also different at the two hotels.  St. James has a better, quieter stretch of beach (and more space).  We had a great time.  Top shelf liquor, great food (lobster and fillet is offered at many restaurants), but the wine choices were horrible (I'm a wine drinker, so I was bummed about this).  When we went, the hotels had JUST opened, so it was a bit of a growing pain as they were figuring things out.  But we had a great time regardless.

                 

                When we visited Secrets, we both thought that it would be a great place to get married with a few friends.  I have not been to the Grand yet, but we chose this hotel over Secrets because it's supposed to be better than Secrets.  From what I've heard the accommodations are better, food is better, service is better, alcohol choices are better, etc (this is coming from several travel agents, Trip Advisor reviews, and a friend who went to the Grand around the same time we were at Secrets).  Plus the Grand comes with Butler service and wine and liquor in your room (at Secrets there's no Butler option and you only get an upgraded mini bar if you upgrade to the Preferred Club --  the typical mini bar only has beer, soda, water, and juice).  We actually met a staff member at Secrets who told us that the Grand was better.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  If they are the exact same price, I think I would choose the Grand.  But if you see a deal for Secrets then I would take it.

                 

                Good luck.

                 

                 

                Originally Posted by TheWolferts 

                Hi everyone,

                 

                I am actually getting married at the El Dorado Royale in Riveria Maya, Mexico, but we are trying to decide on where to go for our honeymoon... we have it narrowed down to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and Secrets Wild Orchid, both in Montego Bay.

                 

                I know I did a lot of research on the EDR for our wedding, so I thought someone getting married at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall could give me some insight on this property!

                 

                Any reviews/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!



                 



                #248 TheWolferts

                TheWolferts
                • Jr. Member
                • 458 posts

                  Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:10 PM


                  Thanks for your insight!

                   

                  From the research I have done, my vote is for the Iberostar Grand, but my FI seems to like Secrets WO.... LOL but he also cant explain why, so I think my hours of research might end up trumping his "i just like it because" haha

                  Originally Posted by Leah22 


                  How's your planning process at the EDR?  My fiance and I were going to go there on vacation this past September, but we had to cancel at the last minute!  I was very bummed.  I considered it for the wedding, but then we went with Jamaica.

                   

                  We actually stayed at Secrets St. James 2 years ago and LOVED it.  Wild Orchid and St. James are the same.  They're just separate buildings on the same property.  (WO is usually advertised as a little more expensive, but I don't think it's worth it to pay extra to stay at Wild Orchid).  WO is slightly closer to the restaurants, night club, entertainment area, etc.  But St. James is only a 3 minute walk away.  St. James seems to be a little quieter because of this (but like I said, it's a small property).  St. James is right next to the spa/health club.  The decor is also different at the two hotels.  St. James has a better, quieter stretch of beach (and more space).  We had a great time.  Top shelf liquor, great food (lobster and fillet is offered at many restaurants), but the wine choices were horrible (I'm a wine drinker, so I was bummed about this).  When we went, the hotels had JUST opened, so it was a bit of a growing pain as they were figuring things out.  But we had a great time regardless.

                   

                  When we visited Secrets, we both thought that it would be a great place to get married with a few friends.  I have not been to the Grand yet, but we chose this hotel over Secrets because it's supposed to be better than Secrets.  From what I've heard the accommodations are better, food is better, service is better, alcohol choices are better, etc (this is coming from several travel agents, Trip Advisor reviews, and a friend who went to the Grand around the same time we were at Secrets).  Plus the Grand comes with Butler service and wine and liquor in your room (at Secrets there's no Butler option and you only get an upgraded mini bar if you upgrade to the Preferred Club --  the typical mini bar only has beer, soda, water, and juice).  We actually met a staff member at Secrets who told us that the Grand was better.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  If they are the exact same price, I think I would choose the Grand.  But if you see a deal for Secrets then I would take it.

                   

                  Good luck.

                   

                   



                   



                   



                  #249 TheWolferts

                  TheWolferts
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 458 posts

                    Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

                    Woops! I forgot to talk about my planning experience at the EDR.

                     

                    We actually chose EDR because my cousin got married there a couple of years ago and I attended the wedding. Unfortunately, my FI couldnt make the trip, but the entire time, I just kept thinking "OMG, he would love this!" or "My best friends and I would have such a great time here!"... We looked at a TON of other resorts since we were trying to have our wedding else where but we kept coming back to the EDR having everything we wanted for the wedding and for our guests. I cant wait for all my friends and family to experience EDR!

                     

                    We are using DestinationWeddings.com to book all of our travel and I love our TA Christine!

                     

                    We are booking all of our wedding venues, food, flowers etc with Lomas Weddings. At first I felt a little frustrated that they charged an $800 outside vendor fee, but I am such a perfectionist that I would drive my self crazy with unlimited options and dealing with vendors on my own. Plus, I have never asked for anything that their preferred vendors couldnt provide.

                     

                    We did opt to have our good friend come down and do our photography and avoided the outside vendor fee because she is staying as a guest with her husband. We also decided to pay the $800 outside vendor fee for our DJ since I couldnt find any legit reviews on their approved DJs and our DJ is actually still cheaper, even with the addition of the $800 fee, than their "approved" DJs.

                     

                    We dont really have that much left to do and I feel like we should! All in all, I have enjoyed my experience with DW.com, Lomas, and EDR.



                    #250 Millebe

                    Millebe
                    • Newbie
                    • 2 posts

                      Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

                      FYI. I emailed the about the increase cost at the Port Maria. The reason why it is now $3000 is because it includes the open bar. 






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users