Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Right about now, I don't want to give any of the Iberostar money.  I would keep my guest at the Grand and have the wedding and ceremony elsewhere. I've called my travel agent and asked her to find out if they're are any penalties. I know if I would have moved the wedding entirely my guest would have lost money on the rooms they already paid for.

Ok now futuremrstgun,

You know that I have great love for you, but I'm going to have to disagree with your last post. The Iberostars aren't the best on the island. They are only thought to be, which is why they get away with so much crap. I wouldn't even give it to them that they are the best in Rose Hall. I think Half Moon is actually better and the Palmyra is going to blow them away once they become full service, and that's only considering Rose Hall not even Montego Bay at-large, Ocho Rios, Negril, or my favorite resort Strawberry Hill in the Blue Mountains.

I don't mean to blast, but I think that this kind of thinking is why brides at the Iberostar resorts suffer so much, putting up with the lack of communication and responses, the onlookers at weddings, and double paying for food. In my opinion, these should not be acceptable especially if you are paying for your wedding, but enough brides continue to book under these circumstances so they don't have to change what they are doing. Thing is there are enough BDW brides, that if you were fed up, and took a stand, could probably make a difference. I took my stand alone so nothing is going to change.

My 2 cents.

Originally Posted by futuremrstgun View Post

tropical love...

i can't believe you'd lose anything..i mean, i won't lose any money if i cancel at the beach..but i didn't book a 'real' wedding either..i booked the 'recommittment' or re-dedication ceremony so i'd have more options...the nickel and diming is definitely a put off..but the resort is breathtaking..and by far, the best on the island...

you're a couple of months out..i'd see if there's anything i could do..maybe move to the suites and/or the beach..see if they're more flexible on not charging the upcharge..you might be surprised.

good luck and as always, happy planning!!

R~

I am using the free wedding package at the grand and here are answers received from the grand (Janielle) about costs. I do plan on paying the $20 per person for the ceremony because that was on the original price list from the grand.

HI!

Got this from your wedding coordinator:

I have a few questions regarding my June 9th, 2012 wedding.

1. How big is the wedding cake included in the free wedding package? If it is small, how much would it cost for a larger cake for 50 people? We will provide a cake for all 50 persons.

2. I want to bring an outside vendor to drop off flowers. Would a vendor fee apply if they are only dropping off? As long as they come to the lobby give the flowers to me then no fee applies however they will need to set anything up at all then a cost of US$ 250 will apply.

3. What is the FREE room upgrade for the wedding couple included in the free wedding package? If we book an oceanview room, will we be upgraded to oceanfront? If we book a standard room, will we be upgraded to oceanview or oceanfront? Please note upgrades are based  upon availability. But as you said from standard to Ocean View and from Ocean View to Ocean Front.

4. The free wedding package says it includes a champagne toast. Is this only for the bride and groom? If so, how much would it be extra per person for the toast? No the Champagne Toast is for everyone at the ceremony.

5. Do you have decorations available to use for the reception for tables other than the head wedding table such as vases and candles? Also, do you have paper lanterns, LED lights and boxes for table cards or do we need to bring these items ourselves? Our local florist tai flora will provide all that for you if you need to get in touch with them let me know so I can send you contact info.

6. Since I am using the free wedding package, what would it cost for the decorating of a huppa and the decorating of the reception venue since that's not included in the free wedding package? The huppa is not a part of the package and cost US$250 and is draped in white if you need it to be decorated then the florist will provide any additional that you will need.

7. The cost for a 3 hour private reception is $1,750. How much would it be if we wanted to rent it out for an extra hour to make it 6:30 - 10:30 PM? It would be a cost of US$ 250 and the time would be form 7:00pm to 11:00pm.

8. My fiance and I were planning to do a site visit in September to see the resort and possibly visit with you if you are available. Would we have to pay the $100 to come on the property if we stay at a different resort or will you waive this fee since we are having our wedding there? Once it will be a regular site visit then sure I will have them waive the fee. Just let me know when so I can advise the relevant depts..

Hey Tropical Love,

I am not sure what package they sent you but in August 2010 my package information stated:

"Our wedding package is from up to 2 to10 people. When the group is larger than 10 persons, there is an additional charge of US $20 per person."

I had to really take this into consideration before booking because $20 can really add up. Reading post from other ladies the $20 seems to pay for cake, champagne and extra labor for setting up.

I am sorry the resort is putting extra stress on you, hope everything works out well.

Originally Posted by Tropical Love View Post

So Janielle informed me today that regardless if I'm having chairs or not at the ceremony...I still have to pay $20 per person for setup! That's an additional $800 for WHAT?  She originally told me it was for ceremony set up...and then when I told her Im not having chairs....I still would have to pay regardless! I am so frustrated with the nickle and diming this resort is doing. I called my travel agent and ask her how much I would lose if I cancel the wedding and still stay on property. If my guest weren't going to lose money for canceling rooms, I'd go somewhere else!

Thanks for letting me VENT!!!

Thanks for sharing with us! Very helpful!!! I am so jealous you are getting the free wedding package... she said we could not because we signed up for the "Grand Promime Ceremony," a WEEK before the free packager. Have any other brides be able to change? Saving $3000 would be greatwink.gif

Originally Posted by susan1672 View Post

I am using the free wedding package at the grand and here are answers received from the grand (Janielle) about costs. I do plan on paying the $20 per person for the ceremony because that was on the original price list from the grand.

HI!

Got this from your wedding coordinator:

I have a few questions regarding my June 9th, 2012 wedding.

1. How big is the wedding cake included in the free wedding package? If it is small, how much would it cost for a larger cake for 50 people? We will provide a cake for all 50 persons.

2. I want to bring an outside vendor to drop off flowers. Would a vendor fee apply if they are only dropping off? As long as they come to the lobby give the flowers to me then no fee applies however they will need to set anything up at all then a cost of US$ 250 will apply.

3. What is the FREE room upgrade for the wedding couple included in the free wedding package? If we book an oceanview room, will we be upgraded to oceanfront? If we book a standard room, will we be upgraded to oceanview or oceanfront? Please note upgrades are based  upon availability. But as you said from standard to Ocean View and from Ocean View to Ocean Front.

4. The free wedding package says it includes a champagne toast. Is this only for the bride and groom? If so, how much would it be extra per person for the toast? No the Champagne Toast is for everyone at the ceremony.

5. Do you have decorations available to use for the reception for tables other than the head wedding table such as vases and candles? Also, do you have paper lanterns, LED lights and boxes for table cards or do we need to bring these items ourselves? Our local florist tai flora will provide all that for you if you need to get in touch with them let me know so I can send you contact info.

6. Since I am using the free wedding package, what would it cost for the decorating of a huppa and the decorating of the reception venue since that's not included in the free wedding package? The huppa is not a part of the package and cost US$250 and is draped in white if you need it to be decorated then the florist will provide any additional that you will need.

7. The cost for a 3 hour private reception is $1,750. How much would it be if we wanted to rent it out for an extra hour to make it 6:30 - 10:30 PM? It would be a cost of US$ 250 and the time would be form 7:00pm to 11:00pm.

8. My fiance and I were planning to do a site visit in September to see the resort and possibly visit with you if you are available. Would we have to pay the $100 to come on the property if we stay at a different resort or will you waive this fee since we are having our wedding there? Once it will be a regular site visit then sure I will have them waive the fee. Just let me know when so I can advise the relevant depts..

Congrats JenandBrad!!!

You will be at the Grand the same time as my fiance and myself!! Our big day is Feb 03rd, 2012, we leave to go to the Grand January 30th!!! We also are doing the "Free Wedding" package, in addition we are booking the Port Maria (Private Reception) which cost around $1,700. We were told from Janielle ( Wedding Coord) that we would have to pay $20 per person for the wedding ceremony. Lots of extra costs to host a wedding at this resort, I agree! Apparently this $20 per person includes the set up and chairs for the ceremony.....load of B.S!!

We were going to book Sungold Photography for our photos, but I decided it was a bit over priced, and found a girl named Stacey Clarke Photography!! She seems to be really nice to work with and affordable.

My sister got married at the Riu in Ochos Rios (Jamaica) a few years ago, no extra costs for anything!! She didn't over due it with extra little add ons either......her wedding was breath taking!!! The scenery of what the resort provided was far better then decorations!

I was thinking of using Tai floral for my flowers ( The Grands Floral comp), but it took them 2 months to reply to several of my e-mails.......not sure I want to go through that stress, come closer to the big day! We also are going to hire a dj for the reception, and steel drums for the ceremony $$$$$ ching ching! I understand  that if you want the private reception for more then 3 hours you have to pay an additional $250 per hour!!

Let me know what you have come up with!!!

April

April Blossom - don't even give Tai Flora anymore of your time. You need to go on the Iberostar Brides thread on here and read all of the negative feedback. They're notorious for not returning calls and lack of communication in general. I hear there work is great but it's the BS that suck to get there!

Originally Posted by April Blossom View Post

Congrats JenandBrad!!!

You will be at the Grand the same time as my fiance and myself!! Our big day is Feb 03rd, 2012, we leave to go to the Grand January 30th!!! We also are doing the "Free Wedding" package, in addition we are booking the Port Maria (Private Reception) which cost around $1,700. We were told from Janielle ( Wedding Coord) that we would have to pay $20 per person for the wedding ceremony. Lots of extra costs to host a wedding at this resort, I agree! Apparently this $20 per person includes the set up and chairs for the ceremony.....load of B.S!!

We were going to book Sungold Photography for our photos, but I decided it was a bit over priced, and found a girl named Stacey Clarke Photography!! She seems to be really nice to work with and affordable.

My sister got married at the Riu in Ochos Rios (Jamaica) a few years ago, no extra costs for anything!! She didn't over due it with extra little add ons either......her wedding was breath taking!!! The scenery of what the resort provided was far better then decorations!

I was thinking of using Tai floral for my flowers ( The Grands Floral comp), but it took them 2 months to reply to several of my e-mails.......not sure I want to go through that stress, come closer to the big day! We also are going to hire a dj for the reception, and steel drums for the ceremony $$$$$ ching ching! I understand  that if you want the private reception for more then 3 hours you have to pay an additional $250 per hour!!

Let me know what you have come up with!!!

April

Hello April Blossom!

Congrats to you, too!!!  How exciting that we'll be at the Grand at the same time! Maybe we'll run into you two at the pool!!! Most of our friends and family will probably be leaving on the 30th, the day you arrive. We leave on Friday 2/3, your wedding day!

Yes, my plan is to do the "Free Wedding Package". And, then pay the $20 per person for the ceremony. I believe you only pay for each person above 10 people. And it covers the chairs, ceremony setup (arch), minister, cake and champagne for each person.

We just got engaged on July 4th, so we're putting together this wedding in a jiffy... with only 5 months to go! YIKES! We are sending out our Save The Date cards this week. And then plan to send out formal Invitations in about a month or two. Once we know how many are coming to the wedding we'll decide what kind of dinner/reception to put together.

If our group gets large enough, we'll probably rent the Port Maria Restaurant (Private Reception) for $1700, as well. And, I was thinking of renting the DJ, but my fiance and I really wanted to keep the wedding part as cheap as possible, since we're spending so much on the honeymoon part!  Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas on ways to have a reception feel, but not having to rent a DJ?

Also, what have other brides done for music during their ceremony if they haven't purchased (the expensive!!) steel band or violinist, etc... Has anyone rented the DJ for an hour to play music during the ceremony? Is this possible???

After hearing so much about the Tai Floral problems, I might find other options... like "real touch" flowers. Ordering some fake flowers, designing my own arrangements (never done this before!!) and then packing it all. Anyone done this before? I will use them for the "free" flowers. I think the bride's bouquet and the groom's boutinerre are included, so I'll just get that. Although, I would like to have some flowers for the arch, but I think that arrangement is $100+! Would the arch look bad without flowers?

I am looking into Brian Nejedly for photography. Has anyone used him before? I will check out Stacy Clarke, too! I was also looking into the SunGold associates Neville and Clarkson. Anyone use their associates before?

Keep me posted on your plans and ideas! :)

~ Jennifer

Jen,

I just sent Janielle an email stating that another Grand bride was informed that the additional $20 per person for the package covered the cost  covers the chairs, ceremony setup (arch), minister, cake and champagne for each person. Her response, "I've never told a bride that. Please check to ensure she's getting married at the Grand.  May I ask, did Janielle tell you what the $20 includes via email or other communication? She told me Please note I have never at any point in any of our conversations said that was “ALLâ€the US$ 20 p/p was for. Ministers fee is not included in the US$ 20 p/ p. Regarding your question, even if this is an all inclusive, the wedding is a private event that is not part of the all inclusive package. As a result, there is an additional $20USD charge for your guests to attend your wedding.The charge is for the service- (staff), setting (ceremony), and champagne.  

Here's the email:

To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Reception layout, bonfire & weekend questions
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 23:08:23 +0000

Hi Yolanda,

Please sees below my responses in Blue.

Janielle Feurtado

Wedding Coordinator

Coordinador de boda

Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Teléfono

+1 876 680 0000

Rose Hall Main Road, Montego Bay-Little River PO

Ext. 5560

St. James, Jamaica

Fax

+1 876 953 8009

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 12:25
To: Weddings Grand
Cc: Connie
Subject: Reception layout, bonfire & weekend questions

Good Afternoon Janielle,

I have a BUNCH of questions to ask ya lady! Here...we go:

1) Wedding package: I know it includes 2 - 10 people & when the group is larger then 10, there's an additional charge of $20 per person.  

My group is looking to be around 48-50 people max. I just wish to understand what the additional charge entails? The way I read and understood it, was that the addtional $20 allows my guest to everything that's listed on the $3,000 package. For example, they would be entitled to have a romantice dinner during their stay, a bottle of Freixenet or breakfast in bed? PLEASE CLARIFY!! Because if I'm wrong, I don't understand why we have to pay an additional charge for people who are paying guests at one of your resorts for 5 days?  Hi Yolanda the wedding is not considered a part of the all inclusive package as a result extra staff will have to be brought in to work just for the event, also the hotel is willing to foot the cost to set up and provide service for 10 persons, so if you are going to have more guests  you will have to pay an additional set up fee for the ceremony. 

Am I crazy or what? She said "as a result extra staff will have to be brought in to work just for the event...... you will have to pay an additional set up fee for the ceremony."    Please ladies, if Im wrong, someone let a sister know!

Thanks

Originally Posted by JenAndBrad View Post

Hello April Blossom!

Congrats to you, too!!!  How exciting that we'll be at the Grand at the same time! Maybe we'll run into you two at the pool!!! Most of our friends and family will probably be leaving on the 30th, the day you arrive. We leave on Friday 2/3, your wedding day!

Yes, my plan is to do the "Free Wedding Package". And, then pay the $20 per person for the ceremony. I believe you only pay for each person above 10 people. And  covers the chairs, ceremony setup (arch), minister, cake and champagne for each person.

it

We just got engaged on July 4th, so we're putting together this wedding in a jiffy... with only 5 months to go! YIKES! We are sending out our Save The Date cards this week. And then plan to send out formal Invitations in about a month or two. Once we know how many are coming to the wedding we'll decide what kind of dinner/reception to put together.

If our group gets large enough, we'll probably rent the Port Maria Restaurant (Private Reception) for $1700, as well. And, I was thinking of renting the DJ, but my fiance and I really wanted to keep the wedding part as cheap as possible, since we're spending so much on the honeymoon part!  Do you (or anyone else) have any ideas on ways to have a reception feel, but not having to rent a DJ?

Also, what have other brides done for music during their ceremony if they haven't purchased (the expensive!!) steel band or violinist, etc... Has anyone rented the DJ for an hour to play music during the ceremony? Is this possible???

After hearing so much about the Tai Floral problems, I might find other options... like "real touch" flowers. Ordering some fake flowers, designing my own arrangements (never done this before!!) and then packing it all. Anyone done this before? I will use them for the "free" flowers. I think the bride's bouquet and the groom's boutinerre are included, so I'll just get that. Although, I would like to have some flowers for the arch, but I think that arrangement is $100+! Would the arch look bad without flowers?

I am looking into Brian Nejedly for photography. Has anyone used him before? I will check out Stacy Clarke, too! I was also looking into the SunGold associates Neville and Clarkson. Anyone use their associates before?

Keep me posted on your plans and ideas! :)

~ Jennifer