Help, Can't find a dress

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Sammygurlj

• 165 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

So yes I am very picky but I have gone dress shopping 3 times now, tried on about a hundred dresses and I can't find one. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for I really like mermaid style dresses, I don't want anything big, I want something with a low back but still structured (I have a large chest and need the support).
    So yeah what I'm really asking is if anyone has any advice on where to look, any designers you have found? Oh and I live in Minnesota and I'm finding a lot of the dresses I see I can't find here.

Thanks for any help you have.

#2 kiki317

• 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:46 PM

Well I don't know what your style is, but with big boobies- you might be more comfortable in a halter top- (it's also really flattering) that's what i got I'm short with a bigger chest and it looks fabulous. I got my dress at David's Bridal and i abolutley love it! I was hesitant about going there but i'm happy.

Good luck with the hunt! Don't worry- you'll find "the one"!!

#3 sunsetbride1

• 1,083 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

Try not to worry!! I looked for almost 6 months before I found my dress; I think that my BM's and probably a lot of the gals on here were about to kill me! I can't even tell you how many dresses I tried on and how many times I dragged my MOH shopping!!!

I ended up with a Watters gown; it has a very low back, is super sexy and I am in love with it. I would highly recommend their gowns -
        Watters | Innovative Designer Gowns By Watters | Flash Intro

Otherwise, I almost bought a Nicole Miller that was stunning and may work for you if you have cups sewn in. The back is open and it is a halter..
        BRIDAL 09 - Nicole Miller Official Store
        It's style number CO0025; I can't copy the pic for some reason on the website.. but look through all her dresses on there; there a lot that I think would 'fit the bill' for you.

#4 Ana

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,047 posts
        • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
        • LocationToronto

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

what is your price range? try Pronovias...there was one or two that are that style i think. Unfortunatley I'm no help since most of the stores I know are in canada

#5 *Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,532 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I have a D chest and I found that the mermaid looked best on me (it's what I ended up buying too). The A-line ones made me look fatter than I am since they come out under the boobs kinda. My mermaid dress also has a bit of a dip in the back but is still structured. It's a bit plain though so if you're looking for fancy things it might not be for you. Mine is a Mikaella - check hers out! You could always add a sash around the waist to spice it up if you want!

#6 *Nadine*

• 5,466 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

I feel your pain! I got engaged last April and STILL havent found a dress I have been to 11 dress stores in two provinces and four states. I am starting to think about having one made b/c what I want is NOT out there. I just want a very simple dress - Mermaid style, v-neck/v-back, no lace, no beading, not satin/silk, one that still holds a good shape thats not heavy. And it doesnt exist..
            Check out Amy kuschel. She has the one dress that I am going to buy if I don't decide to get one made.. The reason I am torn is b/c its strapless and I REALLY dont want a strapless dress. Also check out Jenny Yee.

#7 Sammygurlj

• 165 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

Thanks ladies, I'll take a look at those.

I'm trying to stay under $1000 but lower is always better.

I wish I could drag my MOH along, she is great at this sort of thing, but she is living in Germany right now (a far drive from Minnesota).

#8 *Nadine*

• 5,466 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

oops i meant jenny lee.. but both those designers I told you are definitely above $1000.. good luck!

#9 estella1007

• 475 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

I'm a Maggie Sottero bride. Her dresses are amazing. My dress is the Vernice. Vernice - by Maggie Sottero If it helps, it has a bra sewn into it for support, and a corset back. I'm a 38 DD and it holds me up just fine. I'm also getting mine tailored in to fit more like a mermaid style in the hip area. Check the site out. There are so many incredible dresses, and I know that a majority of us here are Maggie brides.

#10 Bridget810

• 168 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:23 AM

I agree with the above poster--Maggie Sottero dresses are the best! I'm a D, and the corset really holds my girls up :) Mine is even strapless. A word about halter dresses--while it does provide a little more support, it can also make you look bigger if you are large chested (bigger as in makes your shoulders look broader).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users