What's happening in Mexico?

Jteam

Most of the crime in Mexico definitely does not affect tourists, but things like tourist kidnappings are also on the rise, so just be smart. Be especially careful when grabbing a taxi, make sure you're never alone, and if you're female try to keep a male with you. Make sure you don't advertise your wealth either.

In your resort area you probably won't have to worry at all, but research where you're going and be very cautious of going out at night. I sailed along the coast of Mexico for several months, and our shipping agents were always warning us not to even go near certain areas of town once night hit. Personally I would be inclined to just stick to the hotel at night.

Overall, it's good to keep things in perspective. The crime rate is also rising in the US for the first time in years, and you're not moving away are you? With the current global economic crisis that's happening I'm sure crime is rising in a lot of places, and you just have to be more cautious, even in your home country (go insure your rings ladies!).

Do not be worried, the only time that tourists have any issues is if they put themselves in irresponsible situations that involve illegal activity.

The toursit heavy regions-- Cabo, PV, Cancun, Mayan, etc.-- are generally quite safe. Be careful with your belongings both at the resort (the provide in room safes for a reason, use them) and when in the city / town. Don't carry massive amounts of cash, and don't flash your money around. As long as you aren't putting yourself into compromising situations, you will be perfectly safe the entire time.

Mexico is very, very similar to Canada and the US. I lived down there for two months this summer, and travelled all around the country. Aside from the weather and cultural norms, the crime is very much the same. If you participate in quesitonable circumstances, or make yourself available to criminals, you will be targetted. If you are aware and concious at all time, you should be fine. (This is coming from a girl who has been alone on a subway in the middle of Mexico City after midnight)

If you are concerned, check the travel advisories. However, I can definitely state WITH MASSIVE CONFIDENCE that Mexico is very, very similar to anywhere else. Just be careful, and you'll be fine.

the news story i just read said there is no recommendation to NOT travel to these areas, just to avoid the drug and prostitution areas in mexico. duhr. we should all probably avoid these areas everywhere we go. and they are probably worse where i live in seattle than in cabo or wherever wink.gif

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • Hi everyone! I have been doing lots of research on various wedding venues all around Mexico, my fiance wants a destination wedding and I am happy to have a wedding wherever so long as the vibe is right and guests are happy!  I have been seriously looking at Cabo Azul and was trying to find potential costs for them, but only found a page about their wedding costs from 2010. Does anyone have any updated information on costs / reviews they would like to share of this venue? Or advice in general, anything helps. Thanks so much, happy wedding planning to all!
    • Hello everyone, I am dreaming of a wedding in Costa Rica and was wondering if I could get any help with venues and wedding planners. I am thinking Tamarindo because a close friend of mine lives there and I've been in town more than a couple of times, she's being helpful but is at a loss when it comes to this subject really so I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations. I am not closed to other town suggestions either, if I happen to find a good place and staff somewhere else. These are the places I have so far, has anyone had any experience with any of them?  Stay In Tamarindo Luxury Villas in Costa Rica Luxury Villas Pinilla Tropical Homes of Costa Rica The Point Luxury Villa Thank you so much for your help!
    • Have you ever considered having a wedding inside a bubble? With the current global situation, many couples are looking for unique and creative ways to celebrate their special day while keeping their guests safe. A wedding inside a bubble could provide a whimsical and intimate setting for your ceremony and reception. Imagine saying your vows surrounded by a beautiful bubble filled with twinkling lights and flowers, creating a magical atmosphere for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
    • Adult only resort or not? Let's discuss the pros and cons of choosing an adult-only resort for your honeymoon. While some couples may appreciate the peace and quiet that comes with an adults-only environment, others may prefer a more family-friendly atmosphere. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had any experiences at adult-only resorts that you'd like to share? Let's hear your opinions and recommendations!
    • When it comes to planning a wedding, one of the most exciting parts is choosing the perfect wedding favours for your guests. These small tokens of appreciation are a great way to thank your loved ones for being a part of your special day and to make them feel appreciated.
  • Topics