Outdoor vs. Indoor Wedding (DREAMS)

Hi Guys,

I'm getting married in April at Dreams. As the RSVP's started rolling in, we realized that we had WAY more people than we had initially anticipated. We were thinking we would have 75 guests max. Then, all of a sudden the international RSVP's starting rolling in... It looks like we are going to have 90 guests now. Not a big deal... Only problem is that the Terrace at Dreams doesnt fit that many people comfortably with a dance floor....

Our options are to have the wedding on the beach, or in a reception area inside. What do you guys think? Has anyone been married indoors at Dreams? I think we are leaning towards having it on the beach, but are a little worried that the sand would be annoying after a while. Thoughts??

I haven't seen the indoor space at Dreams, but I tend to agree with Jess unless wearing shoes is important to you. We went to a destination wedding in Cancun that held the reception indoors. The room was nice, with lots of windows and doors opening up to a grassy area, but it was right next to a bar and cigar lounge. Lots of guests kept leaving the reception and going to the bar or cigar lounge. I don't know if the bride and groom cared, but I wouldn't have liked it. So I would pay attention to where the indoor ceremony would be held and what it's around and how that might affect the reception.

If you do it on the beach, be sure to give your guests a heads up so they can plan their clothing accordingly! Also, depending on the time of day, be sure to check the tide info. I've heard of some beaches that can practically disappear, although I haven't heard that of Dreams specifically.

Hey Marisol!

I saw a pic of the indoor venue at Dreams, and to be honest- it's not great. Looks difficult to decorate beautifully, and has very tacky carpeting. Just ask Rebecca, she can send you pics of both options.

As for the beach, I agree with the girls that it's your best option. However, make sure to take a look at all of the additional costs for the beach reception-- aka: Dance floor cost, sand leveling in the event of rain, etc. This is also something you can ask Rebeca for.

Good luck deciding! I'm sooo excited that it's coming up so soon for you!!

As a heads up, my understanding is that if they have to move you indoors because of rain they charge you to do it. You might ask about this and consider the likelihood of rain and the additional cost and you might decide it's better to just go indoors to begin with.

As of 2007, the cost of leveling the beach was $450 US per day (if the river, tide make it uneven) or, if you move to another area of the beach and they have to move palapas, it's $200 US per palapa they have to move. I also read some place about the cost to move indoors but I can't find it now. Anyway, these were 2007 prices and policies, so they may have changed.

Regarding the mats, I asked about this. They have woven mats they can put down for you for no charge, but they are not sturdy - they're just mats. If you want an actual dance floor, it can be done but you'll have to pay for it. I'm not sure if the hotel can do it or if you need to go with on outside WC for that.

We are having our reception on the Terrace, but our ceremony on the beach. I want to wear heels down the aisle, which I won't be able to walk on on the mats, I'm told. We'll be there a few days early, so we're going to go to Lowe's and buy some plywood to put down underneath to make them sturdier. Plywood is pretty cheap. Something DIY like that might work for a dance floor, if you could get big enough pieces? Or people could dance in their bare feet :)