Non-Traditional/Non-"Sappy" Readings and Ceremony

Wow, these readings are great! I don't know how this would fare in terms of sappiness, but I found this in a wedding book and immediately liked it.

One look

One smile

One touch

One embrace

One kiss

One love

Two people

Two minds

Two souls

Two destinies

One road

One journey

One ending

Together.

Okay, so here is what we have it narrowed down to so far -

WEDDING CEREMONY READINGS

And.. this one is on there that I may use; seems appropriate for a DW:

Ck out - EXCERPT FROM "THE GIFT FROM THE SEA"

When you love someone, you do not love them all the time, in exactly the same way, from moment to moment. It is an impossibility. It is even a lie to pretend to. And yet this is exactly what most of us demand. We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships. We leap at the flow of the tide and resist in terror its ebb. We are afraid it will never return. We insist on permanency, on duration, on continuity; when the only continuity possible, in life as in love, is in growth, in fluidity - in freedom, in the sense that the dancers are free, barely touching as they pass, but partners in the same pattern.

The only real security is not in owning or possessing, not in demanding or expecting, not in hoping, even. Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now. Relationships must be like islands, one must accept them for what they are here and now, within their limits - islands, surrounded and interrupted by the sea, and continually visited and abandoned by the tides."

The Invitation, by Oriah Mountain Dreamer [message #57357]Tue, 30 December 2003 21:20

Anonymous

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.

I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your hearts longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking a fool for love,

for your dreams, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are square in your moon.

I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow,

if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed down from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving, to hide it, fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own; if you can dance with wildness and let ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, or to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true.

I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true yourself;

if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul. I want to know if you can be faithful and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it is not pretty every day, and if you can source your life on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the moon.

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.

I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know, or how you came here.

I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.

I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself, and if you truly like the company you keep in empty moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmlwilliams View Post
How about something funny?

Or (for a close friend or relative to read) - you may want to change/remove the ending as it doesn't quite fit your criteria:

He always leaves the seat up

She leaves wet towels upon the floor

The toothpaste has no lid on

And he never shuts the door!

Sheâ€s not that clean and tidy

Though she may sometimes delude

Leave your things out at your peril

In a second theyâ€ll have moved!

Sheâ€s a very active person

And she always wants to win

Where as he likes lazy days

Sheâ€ll still drag him to the gym!

He romances her and dines her

Home cooked dinners and the like

He even knows her favourite food

And cooks for her every night!

Sheâ€s thoughtful when he looks at her

A smile upon his face

Will he look that good in 50 years

When his dentures arenâ€t in place?!

He says he loves her figure

And her mental prowess too

But when gravity takes her over

Will she charm with her IQ?

She says she loves his kindness

And his patience is a must

And of course she thinks heâ€s handsome

Which in her eyes is a plus!

Theyâ€re both not wholly perfect

But who are we to judge

He can be pig headed

Where as she wonâ€t even budge!

All that said and done

They love the time they spend together

And I hope as Iâ€m sure you do

That this fine day will last forever.

And youâ€ll enjoy the drink and food!

Heâ€ll be more than just her husband

Heâ€ll also be her friend

And sheâ€ll be more than just his wife

Sheâ€ll sometimes drive him round the bend.

This poem for xxxxxx and xxxx

A married couple now

Is a token of the love they share

And the thought behind each vow.

Just some of my favourite non-naff ones!!

Hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
here it is. it's from a book called "what looks like crazy"

He leaned over and kissed her like they were alone in that room, and right then, right there, she didnâ€t care what came next. Whatever it was, she knew it would be all right, or it wouldnâ€t be all right, but it would be part of the same unbroken line they were all walking in, which is, of course, the real lesson, and about as much perfection as she could stand without crying right there in front of everybody, which is, of course, what she did. Then it was done, official, and the party could begin in earnest.

And it did. And they danced too wild, and they sang too long, and they hugged too hard, and kissed too sweet, and threw their heads back and howled just as loud as they wanted to howl, because by now they were all old enough to know that what looks like crazy on an ordinary day looks a lot like love if you catch it in the moonlight.

Billy Collins-

"Dancing Toward Bethlehem":

If there is only enough time in the final

minutes of the twentieth century for one last dance

I would like to be dancing it slowly with you,

say, in the ballroom of a seaside hotel.

My palm would press into the small of your back

as the past hundred years collapsed into a pile

of mirrors or buttons or frivolous shoes,

just as the floor of the nineteenth century gave way

and disappeared in a red cloud of brick dust.

There will be no time to order another drink

or worry about what was never said,

not with the orchestra sliding into the sea

and all our attention devoted to humming

whatever it was they were playing.

(I realize it says 20th century- maybe Billy wouldn't mind if I changed it to 21st?)

"Litany" (also Billy Collins)

You are the bread and the knife, the crystal goblet and the wine. You are the dew on the morning grass

and the burning wheel of the sun.

You are the white apron of the baker

and the marsh birds suddenly in flight.

However, you are not the wind in the orchard,

the plums on the counter,

or the house of cards.

And you are certainly not the pine-scented air.

There is just no way you are the pine-scented air.

It is possible that you are the fish under the bridge,

maybe even the pigeon on the general's head,

but you are not even close

to being the field of cornflowers at dusk.

And a quick look in the mirror will show

that you are neither the boots in the corner

nor the boat asleep in its boathouse.

It might interest you to know,

speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,

that I am the sound of rain on the roof.

I also happen to be the shooting star,

the evening paper blowing down an alley,

and the basket of chestnuts on the kitchen table.

I am also the moon in the trees

and the blind woman's tea cup.

But don't worry, I am not the bread and the knife.

You are still the bread and the knife.

You will always be the bread and the knife,

not to mention the crystal goblet and--somehow-- the wine.

"September 8th" by Pablo Neruda

Today, this day was a brimming cup,

today, this day was the immense wave,

today, it was all the earth.

Today the stormy sea

lifted us in a kiss

so high that we trembled

in a lightning flash

and, tied, we went down

to sink without untwining.

Today our bodies became vast,

they grew to the edge of the world

and rolled melting

into a single drop

of wax or meteor.

Between you and me a new door opened

and someone, still faceless,

was waiting for us there.

"The Infinite One" by Pablo Neruda

Do you see these hands? .

They have measured

the earth, they have separated

minerals and cereals,

they have made peace and war,

they have demolished the distances

of all the seas and rivers,

and yet,

when they move over you,

little one,

grain of wheat, swallow,

they can not encompass you,

they are weary seeking

the twin doves

that rest or fly in your breast,

they travel the distances of your legs,

they coil in the light of your waist.

For me you are a treasure more laden

with immensity than the sea and its branches

and you are white and blue and spacious like

the earth at vintage time.

In that territory,

from your feet to your brow,

walking, walking, walking,

I shall spend my life.

Ranier Maria RIlke, from Love and Other Difficulties. I was thinking the second paragraph, but we could just edit out whatever part of this you don't want-

Marriage is in many ways a simplification of life, and it naturally combines the strengths and wills of two young people so that, together, they seem to reach farther into the future than they did before. Above all, marriage is a new task and a new seriousness, - a new demand on the strength and generosity of each partner, and a great new danger for both.

The point of marriage is not to create a quick commonality by tearing down all boundaries; on the contrary, a good marriage is one in which each partner appoints the other to be the guardian of their solitude, and thus they show each other the greatest possible trust. A merging of two people is an impossibility, and where it seems to exist, it is a hemming-in, a mutual consent that robs one party or both parties of their fullest freedom and development. But once the realization is accepted that even between the closest people infinite distances exist, a marvelous living side by side can grow up for them, if they succeed in loving the expanse between them, which gives them the possibility of always seeing each other as a whole and before an immense sky.

That is why this too must be the criterion for rejection or choice: whether you are willing to stand guard over someone else's solitude, and whether you are able to set this same person at the gate of your own depths, which he learns of only through what steps forth, in holiday clothing, out of the great darkness.

Life is self-transformation, and human relationships, which are an extract of life, are the most changeable of all, they rise and fall from minute to minute, and lovers are those for whom no moment is like any another. People between whom nothing habitual ever takes place, nothing that has already existed, but just what is new, unexpected, unprecedented. There are such connections, which must be a very great, an almost unbearable happiness, but they can occur only between very rich beings, between those who have become, each for his own sake, rich, calm, and concentrated; only if two worlds are wide and deep and individual can they be combined....

...For the more we are, the richer everything we experience is. And those who want to have a deep love in their lives must collect and save for it, and gather honey.

******and the other was the "Gift from the Sea" that sunset bride posted already :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhazardous View Post
One of my sorors who does spoken word is writing something for us. I really like the idea bc she knows us very well so it'll really encompass who we are.
That's so great. I know someone who does spoken word too - it's amazing. I bet your reading will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoAzul View Post
We finally decided! FI's mom will be reading this:

Union by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When weâ€re married†and continued with “I will and you will and we willâ€- those late night talks that included “someday†and “somehow†and “maybeâ€- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things weâ€ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.†Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.
Wow this is amazing!!! I love this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoAzul View Post
We finally decided! FI's mom will be reading this:

Union by Robert Fulghum

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When weâ€re married†and continued with “I will and you will and we willâ€- those late night talks that included “someday†and “somehow†and “maybeâ€- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things weâ€ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.†Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.
I've read through this several times and have teared up each time...it's so sweet without being cheesy. Great choice!!

These are my favorites:

He always leaves the seat up

She leaves wet towels upon the floor

The toothpaste has no lid on

And he never shuts the door!

Sheâ€s not that clean and tidy

Though she may sometimes delude

Leave your things out at your peril

In a second theyâ€ll have moved!

Sheâ€s a very active person

And she always wants to win

Where as he likes lazy days

Sheâ€ll still drag him to the gym!

He romances her and dines her

Home cooked dinners and the like

He even knows her favourite food

And cooks for her every night!

Sheâ€s thoughtful when he looks at her

A smile upon his face

Will he look that good in 50 years

When his dentures arenâ€t in place?!

He says he loves her figure

And her mental prowess too

But when gravity takes her over

Will she charm with her IQ?

She says she loves his kindness

And his patience is a must

And of course she thinks heâ€s handsome

Which in her eyes is a plus!

Theyâ€re both not wholly perfect

But who are we to judge

He can be pig headed

Where as she wonâ€t even budge!

All that said and done

They love the time they spend together

And I hope as Iâ€m sure you do

That this fine day will last forever.

And youâ€ll enjoy the drink and food!

Heâ€ll be more than just her husband

Heâ€ll also be her friend

And sheâ€ll be more than just his wife

Sheâ€ll sometimes drive him round the bend.

This poem for xxxxxx and xxxx

A married couple now

Is a token of the love they share

And the thought behind each vow.

I wanna Be Yours...

I wanna be your vacuum cleaner

breathing in your dust

I wanna be your Ford Cortina

I will never rust

If you like your coffee hot

let me be your coffee pot

You call the shots

I wanna be yours

I wanna be your raincoat

for those frequent rainy days

I wanna be your dreamboat

when you want to sail away

Let me be your teddy bear

take me with you anywhere

I donâ€t care

I wanna be yours

I wanna be your electric meter

I will not run out

I wanna be the electric heater

youâ€ll get cold without

I wanna be your setting lotion

hold your hair in deep devotion

Deep as the deep Atlantic ocean

thatâ€s how deep is my devotion

I may use one of these or hope to find something else that's funny/ sweet/ not too religious or sappy flypig.gif