Photo

Would it be weird if we had NO reception after ceremony?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 katrina

katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 4,328 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

we had dinner and cake but no formal reception with dancing. after our dinner most of the guests went right to sleep. we found that we were partying with our guests every single day, so by the time our actual wedding rolled around, we definitely did not feel like we missed out on a party.

#12 BillysBride

BillysBride
    • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

We're doing a cake and champagne toast then a simple dinner in the hotel restaurant. If your wedding is at an AI, then chances are they have something to include a "reception" dinner along with the package as an add on or sometimes even free if you've booked all inclusive.
      Savannah

http://i17.photobuck....inecollage.jpgThe Fab Four (my quads) Meryn, Kellen, Nico & Layla
      http://global.thekno...rs/tt265ad.aspxhttp://www.mywedding...nnah/index.html20 STD's w. pre-lim RSVP sent 6/15/09: 7 "Yes" so far/10 guests total!

#13 nibsmom

nibsmom
      • 564 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

I'm having the same problem. My wedding is at 1pm. I'm not really sure what to do. Matt really wants to have a formal reception, because he feels like his mom will be so upset if she doesn't get a mother/son dance...which will be weird because my father isn't invited to the wedding. But whatever, it will be lopsided.

I've thought about
        a: having a big gap between the wedding and reception
        b: having a cocktail hour immediately following the ceremony where we'll do dances and stuff, then go to dinner in one of the resort restaurants
        c: having a big gap between the ceremony and dinner and not doing a reception at all.

*sigh* Luckily, I have some time to think about it. I'm leaning towards option B, because we're getting the cocktail reception for free, and apparently there is a lot of food included. So maybe we could even scrap the dinner. We'll see.

#14 lcamzpas

lcamzpas
        • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

How did you handle the no-dancing afterwards? 

#15 Make2dayAmazing

Make2dayAmazing
          • 164 posts
          • Wedding Date:February 21, 2015
          • Wedding Location:Melia Caribe Tropical
          • LocationDominican Republic

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Good post and helpful, we are debating the same thing.

#16 nursemorgan

nursemorgan
          • 166 posts
          • Wedding Date:May 6, 2014
          • Wedding Location:Trunk Bay, St John USVI
          • LocationCape May, NJ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Okay, my dilemma is slightly different, but I need help. We are staying in st thomas at the marriott, getting married in st john. So basically we are taking a boat from our hotel to our ceremony site. The logistics of this are driving me nuts! What are our guests to do while we get photos done post-ceremony? We did not want to have a cocktail hour. We want to all return to st Thomas for dinner on the same boat. 

Do we just have our guests hang out on the beach? Maybe I should make a cute cocktail hour with a little table and some signature drinks or something to nibble on right there on the beach while they wait for our photos to be taken? 

Any suggestions on what I should do?

#17 beccafries

beccafries
          • 83 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

do a little cocktail hour...

#18 brendab1797

brendab1797
            • 152 posts
            • Wedding Date:September 12, 2014
            • Wedding Location:Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
            • LocationNow Larimar Resort

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for sharing.   We are not doing a formal reception as we are have AHR and can't justify spending the money when we are at an AI.  Just having cake and champagne.

Edited by brendab1797, 08 March 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#19 Kyliewylie

Kyliewylie
            • 153 posts
            • Wedding Date:January 1, 2015
            • Wedding Location:Now Amber
            • LocationPuerto Vallarta

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

Just my opinion, but I think people would expect a reception if they are travelling that far to see you get married...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users