Finally went to the dermo

-Kate-

Yeah - the doc asked even with Retin-A if I was planning on trying to get pregnant soon. He said Retin-A and Accutane are both Vitamin A based, and the quantity in Accutane (and the fact you are injesting it, not just rubbing it on your skin) can cause birth defects. He said most women don't even want to put the topical form (Retin-A) on because of the risk. He said his partner used Retin-A while pregnant and their baby is all good.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its just a precaution, but one of my friends used it once and she was asked to sign a form that said she understood the side effects, and if she did get pregnant then if she kept it she would not sue the doctor or something crazy like that-that was enough for me to never take it even though my skin is awful.

I was using Retin-A for a while but like someone said before it makes your skin so dry! Now I only use it every now and then. I started to get facials, microderm, and using Epicuren last month. I have noticed a great change in my overall skin tone and it is helping with my hyperpigmentation. The bad thing about having dark skin is when I break out (which is not too often), it turns dark and it drives me freakin crazy!

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt View Post
All through highschool and what not I never got zits. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I started breaking out. I really thing the water is the trick. I drink TONS, and I mean TONS of it everyday.
Same thing happened to me. I think it had to do w/ BC though. I took it for about 5 years and then went off of it and my hormones went bezerk. I didn't get a period for 5 months and my skin went CRAZY! I finally went on Pro Activ and that really helped.

Now I just drink a TON of water like you and use Pro Activ here and there.

I find the easiest way for me to drink my water is to keep a 1L bottle around. I almost make a game of it to see how many liters I can drink a day. I'd say I average 2.5/day

i used it before my wedding with obagi and i have to tell you my skin looked GREAT! then i went of BC to get pregnant, stopped using it and turned into a hormonal, zitty mess...i cant wait to use it again.

best to start with lower dosage retin a like .05 then move up gradually. it helps with zits but obagi helps with acne scar, evening color etc.

Don,t laugh but I am going to let you in on my skin secret. I have perfect skin, I don't have a wrinkle on my face (I'm 39) and I am never dry or oily. Want to know how?

Ready for this, baby wipes, no I'm not kidding, these are the absolute best for cleaning my face. Cheaper then expensive face wipes, takes makeup off great, and makes my skin nice and soft. I don't know what it is but they truly work great, they are meant for babies so I guesse they must be gentle. I use the one's with aloe vera, I swear I can't be without them. Now you want to know what I use for my face cream,hehehe, baby lotion, good old Johnsons baby lotion (in the pink container) You guys must think I am crazy, but it really works for me, I swear. I truly don't have wrinkles, and people always think my teenager girls are my sisters (I love it, my girls hate it).Any way think I'm nuts, but try it you never knowhuh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif

Kelly~

Oh yeah, another part of my regiment is lot's of water, lot's of running, and always, always, always protect my beautiful irish skin with sunscreen.

Hey Girls...

I used Retin A for a bit but I had a horrible reaction to it. I was all red and sensitive. I hated it. I tried a few other methods as well but ended up using Accutane and I loved it! I did have to go for blood tests once a month (they actually will not give you your prescription for the month until the results come in) and I also had to sign a waiver saying I would not get pregnant during my treatment. I was nervous because of all the precautions but I've had bad acne my entire life and I was 24 and sick of it! I had 8 months of accutane treatment and I am now 27 and I still have amazingly improved skin. I still break out once in awhile BUT my skin was soo bad I was actually in pain some of the time. the one or two zits I get now are nothing. I am a huge supporter of accutane (for the right, severe case) because it totally changed my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancunbride2be View Post
Hey Girls...
I also had to sign a waiver saying I would not get pregnant during my treatment.
How can they make you sign a waiver saying you won't get preggohuh.gif Nothing (well, besides abstinence of course) is 100%. That seems strange to me. I guess they just really want you to know just how serious the complications could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeLynne View Post
How can they make you sign a waiver saying you won't get preggohuh.gif Nothing (well, besides abstinence of course) is 100%. That seems strange to me. I guess they just really want you to know just how serious the complications could be...
It's required by law. If you don't sign the waiver, they don't give you the prescription. Accutane is an extremely restricted drug and not only because of the horrific birth defects it can cause. The pharmacist before dispensing the drug has to get an authorization number before giving it to the patient. And no, we don't receive that authorization number until the patient has completed their quiz and the doctor has completed their lab/paperwork and submitted it. At least prescriptions can now be called in instead of being brought in by the patients. The point is, they can make you sign that waiver but they can't make you not get pregnant. However, they can do everything within their power to ensure you won't get pregnant like requiring you to be on birth control. And its a waiver - if you do get pregnant, they are not liable for the results.

-V-

PS. I'm a licensed pharmacist.