Sign in to follow this  
ashey063009

Father Daughter Dance-- Looking for a Great song!

Hey All,

I'm looking for a song for my dad and I to dance to in June. He isn't into country (sad, I know, I love it) and I'm very against bad 1970s music -- or anything that sounds like it.

I'd really love something contemporary or funky, like a David Gray or Eva Cassidy. Any ideas?? Thanks a million in advance, you ladies always have so many great ideas!

I'm not one of the ladies...

...but there are some great songs out there. Check out some suggestions in this thread:

http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t4980

For me, the song I'm going to dance to with my daughter on her wedding day is "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman - Not very funky, but describes exactly the way I feel about her.

Check out these lyrics:

She spins and she sways to whatever song plays,

Without a care in the world.

And I'm sittin' here wearin' the weight of the world on my shoulders.

It's been a long day and there's still work to do,

She's pulling at me saying "Dad I need you!

There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited and I need to practice my dancin'"

"Oh please, daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella

While she is here in my arms

'Cause I know something the prince never knew

Oh I will dance with Cinderella

I don't wanna miss even one song,

Cuz all too soon the clock will strike midnight

And she'll be gone

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed

She wants to know if I approve of the dress

She says "Dad, the prom is just one week away,

And I need to practice my dancin'"

"Oh please, daddy, please!"

Ohh-oh ohh-oh, I will dance with Cinderella

And she'll be gone

She will be gone.

Well, she came home today

With a ring on her hand

Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned

She says "Dad, the wedding's still six months away

but I need to practice my dancin'"

"Oh please, daddy please!"

Ohh-oh ohh-oh, I will dance with Cinderella

(even one song)

And she'll be gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielthompsonphoto View Post
For me, the song I'm going to dance to with my daughter on her wedding day is "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman - Not very funky, but describes exactly the way I feel about her.
great lyrics, and i think it's wonderful that you found a song that reflects your personal father/daughter relationship. very sweet! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashey063009 View Post
I'm looking for a song for my dad and I to dance to in June. He isn't into country (sad, I know, I love it)
i have the opposite problem, LOL! i loathe most country music, but someone played heartland's "i loved her first" for him and he loves it. the lyrics are nice, so i'm gonna suck it up since it's what he picked and he loves it so much. i just really didn't want a tearjerker since i'm such a crybaby, LOL.

I checked around and found a song by Billy Joel, what do you guys think?

Billy Joel - Lullaby (Good Night My Angel)

YouTube - Billy Joel - Lullaby (Goodnight, My Angel) - with lyrics

*Verse 1*

Good night my angel time to close you eyes

And save these questions for another day

I think I know what you've been asking me

I think you know what I've been trying to say

I promised I would never leave you

And you should always know

Where ever you may go

No matter where you are

I never will be far away

*Verse 2*

Good night my angel now it's time to sleep

And still so many things I want to say

Remember all the songs you sang for me

When we went sailing on an emerald bay

And like a boat out on the ocean

I'm rocking you to sleep

The water's dark and deep

Inside this ancient heart

You'll always be a part of me

(Musical Bridge)

Do do do do...

*Verse 3*

Goodnight my angel now it's time to dream

And dream how wondeful your life will be

Someday your child will cry and if you sing this lullaby

Then in your heart there will always be a part of me

Someday we'll all be gone

But lullabies go on and on

They never die that's how you and I will be

my best friend (MOH) used billy joel "lullaby" at her wedding and there wasn't a dry eye (my dad was there and even he got a little choked up) ... it's really beautiful.