Photo

How hard is it to plan a wedding in Maui from the mainland?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzyup

Lizzyup
  • Banned
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

A friend suggested to me to hold my wedding in Maui so it will be my wedding/honeymoon. I've never been to Maui before so I would not even know where to start. Has anybody ever done this? Can someone give me pointers where to start?

#2 Chem

Chem
    • 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

That's what we are doing too. We are using A Dream Wedding and they have made it really easy so far. I woud def suggest you get a wedding coordinator. I imagine it would be really hard otherwise...Do you know where you want to have your ceremony and reception?

CONGRATS btw!

#3 Macphail

Macphail
      • 588 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:10 AM

Maui is a beautiful place for your wedding and one of our favourite locations. It's definitely possible to plan your wedding from the mainland! If you want a little help with the plans, finding a wedding planner/coordinator in Maui to take care of the details for you is always an option. Best of luck with the plans and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

#4 azhuskergirl

azhuskergirl
        • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

a wedding planner is the key to your sanity. There are great choices on Maui, too! I suggest you read through some of the postings on here to get a feel for what you want.

I plan corporate events for my job, so I can be a little tough on other planners/coordinators if I feel like they are dropping the ball & not once did I feel that way with my planner. My day went off perfectly! All I had to do was show up & follow directions. It was great!

#5 PaddleAddict

PaddleAddict
          • 63 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

I am planning my wedding in Maui from California. I have never been to Maui, and I don't have a wedding coordinator. I am a great researcher though and I love to plan, so that works for me!

I have found lots of info here at BDW, as well as the local Hawaii boards on the Knot. There is so much information available on the internet that it really isn't too hard to plan a wedding away.

A lot of girls take trips over to scout out locations and stuff before the wedding, but we won't be doing that. I am pretty flexible and mellow, though, so I feel comfortable booking without seeing it in person. Now, just explain that to my mother, LOL. She doesn't know how I can do it!

#6 MauiBride2B

MauiBride2B
            • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

We're in the same boat, never been to Maui and live in SoCal (seems like a lot of brides on here are as well). It seems really scary but the information on the internet is endless!!! And think about it, you'll be getting married in Maui... the planning will be easier than doing it in your backyard

#7 TA Dina

TA Dina
              • 181 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

And if you are staying in a resort, don't forget that almost all of them have some sort of wedding dept or coordinator on property. So if you are planning something where you are staying, you may save a little in the end by not needing an outisde coordinator.

#8 thephotogirl

thephotogirl
                • 158 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

Many of the brides I know have planned their destination weddings entirely through the internet and without having visited the location beforehand. There are great resources out there including this forum, the TA's and other vendors as well.

Happy planning!

#9 litl_april

litl_april
                  • 351 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:51 AM

We're getting married in Maui in June and have never been there beforehand either. We decided to use a wedding coordinator and selected Deanne of Precious Maui Weddings. She has been nothing less than wonderful!! Deanne has always been quick at answering questions and offering advice. I'll be honest, when we first started out, I was worried about what things were going to look like considering we can't visit prior, but now I can't imagine getting married anywhere else! Congratulations! If you have any questions feel free to let me know. You'll find other very helpful people around here as well!!

#10 sdnative222

sdnative222
                    • 136 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Congratulations and welcome!

You already made it past the first hurdle since you found BDW! I surfed the net for 9 months and didn't get very far. I learned more in one week on BDW than in all the time I'd spent researching. I did find "The Knot's Destination Wedding" book a useful tool. I swear by their timeline checklists.

I highly suggest finding a WC...whether it's an independant or connected with your resort. They can offer you personal suggestions based on the style, type and size of your wedding party.

Happy planning!
                      Jocelynn and Shawn
                      Got Maui'd on November 8,2008
                      http://www.thebump.c....step=5&radio=C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users